Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyerTalker688786
Ambassador programme will change on 1st February 2019. This will start with Royal Ambassador's benefits. Then, all other Ambassador will have new benefits from 1st March 2019.

For Royal Ambassadors, the new benefits starts from 1st FEB 2019 will be:
  1. EARLY CHECK-IN from 10AM (instead of 8AM)
  2. ONE COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST FOR EVERY NIGHT YOU STAY [CONFIRMED AS IN GREATER CHINA REGION ONLY, On 1st March, it seems IHG quietly made a U-turn again, now this benefit only APPLIES TO IC HOTELS IN MAINLAND CHINA ONLY, Hong Kong IC hotels are excluded on the last minute U-turn.]
  3. UP TO TWO COMPLIMENTARY FULL BREAKFASTS PER DAY IF THERE IS NO CLUB LOUNGE
  4. UPTO 50USD/200RMB/400HKD MINIBAR CREDIT PER DAY (200USD/800RMB/1600HKD PER STAY MAX)
  5. WAIVED DESTINATION/AMENITY FEES
  6. COMPLIMENTARY WEEKEND NIGHT CERTIFICATE WITH E-DELIVERY
  7. AMBASSADOR BENEFIT GUARANTEE (See below)
  8. [Officially Added Benefits] FREE NIGHTS AT AN IHG PROPERTY (capped at 70K points value)
  9. [Officially Added Benefits] HERTZ GOLD PLUS REWARDS PRESIDENTS' CIRCLE MEMBERSHIP

For all other Ambassadors, the new benefit starts on 1st MARCH 2019:
  1. GUARANTEED PLATINUM ELITE STATUS IN IHG REWARDS CLUB
  2. ONE COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST FOR EVERY NIGHT YOU STAY <== Only for Greater China Stays !
  3. COMPLIMENTARY WEEKEND NIGHT CERTIFICATE WITH E-DELIVERY
  4. WELCOME FRUIT PLATTER (instead of welcome fruits and gifts) <== Only for Greater China Stays !
  5. AMBASSADOR BENEFIT GUARANTEE
ADDITIONAL BENEFITS FOR STAYS IN GREATER CHINA ONLY:
• One complimentary breakfast every night you stay
• 15% discount on restaurants and bars

AMBASSADOR BENEFIT GURANTEE work as bellow:
  1. Guaranteed Room Upgrade: Member must be given a food and beverage or Spa credit up to USD50, or 10,000 IHG Rewards Club points per stay, applies to InterContinental Ambassador and Royal Ambassador only;
  2. 16:00 (4p.m.) Late Check-out: Member must be given a food and beverage or Spa credit up to USD50, or 10,000 IHG Rewards Club points per stay, applies to InterContinental Ambassador and Royal Ambassador only;
  3. New Club InterContinental Lounge Access or alternative Club experience: Member must be given a food and beverage or Spa credit of USD100 per night, not exceeding the Club InterContinental upgrade supplement value, applies to Royal Ambassador only.
Print Wikipost

Changes to Ambassador from 1st March 2019 (now confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Spire RA
This so-called guarantee is IMHO the biggest downgrade. The hotel can decide to give you 50USD instead of a 2 level upgrade for e.g. a stay of 10 nights
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Question: Do you receive A/RA benefit on Chase free night stays, or are they treated as award stays (i.e. no benefits)?

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Rubbish pay a paltry usd200, and the free upgrade on a 4night stay gets you that cost back. Remember the IC hotels sees none of that usd200 you pay for your Ambassador Status.

Any other benefit on more nights per year you are quids in

No other chain allows you to buy 12months of upgrades.
In practice this is not the case as the term "upgrade" is rather vaguely defined. In some hotels it simply means a room on a higher floor, or something slightly better than the ROH basement room. If in fact this meant a suite on every visit (like the old SPG Plat program) then yes, you would be correct. But in practice I get "upgraded" almost every time I check in at almost every chain, status notwithstanding. The only exception was the horrid Hilton Aberdeen Treetops where everyone is treated like dirt regardless of status.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:52 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Hahahaha. Is anyone else reading the “free night limited to 70,000 points” the same way I’m reading it?

Oh so subtle IHG. Oh so subtle.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Hahahaha. Is anyone else reading the “free night limited to 70,000 points” the same way I’m reading it?

Oh so subtle IHG. Oh so subtle.

To be honest, I really don't know what it means - I'm guessing the limit is a room that would cost 70K points. Not many of those around ..... currently

So would there need to be reward night availability?

Might be easier, less fussy and more realistic to credit accounts with 70K points to spend as one wishes.

But this is IHG
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
To be honest, I really don't know what it means - I'm guessing the limit is a room that would cost 70K points. Not many of those around ..... currently

So would there need to be reward night availability?

Might be easier, less fussy and more realistic to credit accounts with 70K points to spend as one wishes.

But this is IHG
No.... this reads to me as they're going to introduce an 80K category (Bora Bora, anyone?) and the free night won't be valid for those.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:46 pm

Yes It is a Free Night and you will be able to redeem 1 night at an IHG hotel up to 70,000 points as long as there is IHG Reward night availability, excluding Alliance Resorts.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Luxuryloyalty
Yes It is a Free Night and you will be able to redeem 1 night at an IHG hotel up to 70,000 points as long as there is IHG Reward night availability, excluding Alliance Resorts.
Yeah it's explicitly limiting it to "70,000 points" that's scaring the bejesus out of me. It reads to me that a new category will be introduced and more hotels will move into it, making them ineligible for this reward. Otherwise why would they put this? And more, why would they put it this year? If they had no plans to devalue this year, they could've just made us feel good for a few months by saying "at ANY property except Alliance and Military" - but noooooo, they have to mention 70K.

I bet you a deval is coming sometime after the new benefits announcement. Maybe April/May timeframe.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Luxuryloyalty

seems to be a nonsense manufactured benefit. Be sure we'll be the ones to pay for it as redemption rates get inflated.

wouldn't it be simpler, more transparent, more useful, just to credit accounts with points to book the rooms we want?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
seems to be a nonsense manufactured benefit. Be sure we'll be the ones to pay for it as redemption rates get inflated.

wouldn't it be simpler, more transparent, more useful, just to credit accounts with points to book the rooms we want?
Well no, because there will be some people who just use it on a nearby property out of convenience, and not for the whole 70K amount.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:10 am

Programs: IHG Diamond / RA / IC | LH FTL + United Gold
I like it that there is a new benefit A additional free night is not a bad thing, even though it reads like this in this threat.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:30 am

Programs: IHG RA, IHG IC, HH DM, MPC GM
free night up to 70,000pts is a big plus. I frequent the Intercontinental Hong Kong and the night there costs 70,000pts. Most Intercontinentals cost 35,000-50,000pts so basically it means you will be able to redeem that free night at almost any Intercontinental unless one starts to charge 80,000pts per night. Are there any properties around that cost over 70,000pts for the standard room?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:59 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Yeah it's explicitly limiting it to "70,000 points" that's scaring the bejesus out of me. It reads to me that a new category will be introduced and more hotels will move into it, making them ineligible for this reward. Otherwise why would they put this? And more, why would they put it this year? If they had no plans to devalue this year, they could've just made us feel good for a few months by saying "at ANY property except Alliance and Military" - but noooooo, they have to mention 70K.

I bet you a deval is coming sometime after the new benefits announcement. Maybe April/May timeframe.
Hopefully no more devals ... the max has gone from 40 to 50 to 60 to 70K.

But I recall that Regent Hotels are being integrated and some of those are a step up from InterContinental hotels, so they may introduce a higher redemption level. And perhaps Bora Bora and a few will go into that. But at 70K, Willard and Times Square and others are overpriced.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr. Chan
free night up to 70,000pts is a big plus. I frequent the Intercontinental Hong Kong and the night there costs 70,000pts. Most Intercontinentals cost 35,000-50,000pts so basically it means you will be able to redeem that free night at almost any Intercontinental unless one starts to charge 80,000pts per night. Are there any properties around that cost over 70,000pts for the standard room?
Don't hold your breath. Once IC Hong Kong is changed to Regent, the points requirement for free rooms will be either up to 100,000 or will be in flexible redemption rate (i.e. every 500-1500 points per dollar value like most of the expensive Hilton properties, *** points per dollar value figures are made-up, does not present any factual indication). The reason I say this is because Regent would be a different animal, IHG might be considering abandon the normal room redemption method for its flagship luxury properties. Thus get rid of cheap redemption option but take on the points per value flexible redemption method. Am I making any sense here? I hope so. Because this is the future trend.

But again that is my personal speculation (just like the three level of point breaks, the leak of this document ...etc...). Please take it as a pinch of salt.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:18 am

The points devaluation of 2019 is here! I'll post the official scoop shortly in a new thread.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well no, because there will be some people who just use it on a nearby property out of convenience, and not for the whole 70K amount.
sure, I can't see many people going to Bora Bora, or wherever, just to max out on the benefit. So the average take-up will probably be signficantly less than 70K.

I'd be happy is IHG handed out, say, 50,000 extra points to RA's to spend as they will. OK, the Bora Bora die hards will miss out, but the rest of us could eek out a couple of Holiday Inn, HIX stays or splurge on an IC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.