Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyerTalker688786
Ambassador programme will change on 1st February 2019. This will start with Royal Ambassador's benefits. Then, all other Ambassador will have new benefits from 1st March 2019.

For Royal Ambassadors, the new benefits starts from 1st FEB 2019 will be:
  1. EARLY CHECK-IN from 10AM (instead of 8AM)
  2. ONE COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST FOR EVERY NIGHT YOU STAY [CONFIRMED AS IN GREATER CHINA REGION ONLY, On 1st March, it seems IHG quietly made a U-turn again, now this benefit only APPLIES TO IC HOTELS IN MAINLAND CHINA ONLY, Hong Kong IC hotels are excluded on the last minute U-turn.]
  3. UP TO TWO COMPLIMENTARY FULL BREAKFASTS PER DAY IF THERE IS NO CLUB LOUNGE
  4. UPTO 50USD/200RMB/400HKD MINIBAR CREDIT PER DAY (200USD/800RMB/1600HKD PER STAY MAX)
  5. WAIVED DESTINATION/AMENITY FEES
  6. COMPLIMENTARY WEEKEND NIGHT CERTIFICATE WITH E-DELIVERY
  7. AMBASSADOR BENEFIT GUARANTEE (See below)
  8. [Officially Added Benefits] FREE NIGHTS AT AN IHG PROPERTY (capped at 70K points value)
  9. [Officially Added Benefits] HERTZ GOLD PLUS REWARDS PRESIDENTS' CIRCLE MEMBERSHIP

For all other Ambassadors, the new benefit starts on 1st MARCH 2019:
  1. GUARANTEED PLATINUM ELITE STATUS IN IHG REWARDS CLUB
  2. ONE COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST FOR EVERY NIGHT YOU STAY <== Only for Greater China Stays !
  3. COMPLIMENTARY WEEKEND NIGHT CERTIFICATE WITH E-DELIVERY
  4. WELCOME FRUIT PLATTER (instead of welcome fruits and gifts) <== Only for Greater China Stays !
  5. AMBASSADOR BENEFIT GUARANTEE
ADDITIONAL BENEFITS FOR STAYS IN GREATER CHINA ONLY:
• One complimentary breakfast every night you stay
• 15% discount on restaurants and bars

AMBASSADOR BENEFIT GURANTEE work as bellow:
  1. Guaranteed Room Upgrade: Member must be given a food and beverage or Spa credit up to USD50, or 10,000 IHG Rewards Club points per stay, applies to InterContinental Ambassador and Royal Ambassador only;
  2. 16:00 (4p.m.) Late Check-out: Member must be given a food and beverage or Spa credit up to USD50, or 10,000 IHG Rewards Club points per stay, applies to InterContinental Ambassador and Royal Ambassador only;
  3. New Club InterContinental Lounge Access or alternative Club experience: Member must be given a food and beverage or Spa credit of USD100 per night, not exceeding the Club InterContinental upgrade supplement value, applies to Royal Ambassador only.
Print Wikipost

Changes to Ambassador from 1st March 2019 (now confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by TravelStar
I don't know about most people, but currently I ask for late checkout only once in a while. Maybe one in ten stays. But if this is true, I will be requesting late checkout EVERY STAY. Even if I have no intention of checking out late. I will be collecting $50 or points every time I am denied.
This may work in the smaller properties such as Estoril but I doubt it would have much success in the larger ones. The $50 or points will be a direct cost to the hotel and you can be guaranteed they will move hell on earth to avoid that cost from the accounts.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ILS2
https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/12/18/...019-confirmed/

A copy of the much talked about document.
Just to clarify, the document I saw is different. The document I saw was in official intercontinental internal dressing, bilingual, much fancier designed and intended for customer to read. (thinking about a customer chart to show the new benefit) and the language used as YOU to address customers (read wiki). And there is intercontinental confidential watermark on the paper. So that we know that loyaltylobby had a different document but basically said the same thing except the breakfast (as my source is from China, now we know breakfast is for Greater China only).
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by turner32
The $20 drink credit is actually a devaluation. For example, you can stay at IC Park Lane and they will give you a drinks voucher that is good for 2 people and you can each have a cocktail or glass of champagne that sell for $30 each.
Agree, that is an insult. Free breakfast would be better. Now I am giving up on defending IHGs position due to this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by est-gratuite
IHG seems like they want to get rid of the ambassador program altogether, but for whatever reason they can't do this now, so instead they are making it as sh*tty as possible.
With due respect, if you follow IHG forum like me, and read online sources, you would have noticed in last two years IHG did consider get rid of ambassador programme. But the new rumour in the mill is that they will keep Ambassador programme and expand it to other upper scale brands in house and it will be three tiers rather two. Thus my speculation that one day Regent and Kimpton will be included. But truth to be told, my personal feeling is that ambassador programme will have more changes in pipeline for 2020 and after.

I will wait to see the full terms and condition once more details are published by IHG.
est-gratuite likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by chongcao
With due respect, if you follow IHG forum like me, and read online sources, you would have noticed in last two years IHG did consider get rid of ambassador programme. But the new rumour in the mill is that they will keep Ambassador programme and expand it to other upper scale brands in house and it will be three tiers rather two. Thus my speculation that one day Regent and Kimpton will be included. But truth to be told, my personal feeling is that ambassador programme will have more changes in pipeline for 2020 and after.

I will wait to see the full terms and condition once more details are published by IHG.
I’m very sad you were right. I would’ve much preferred that your document turned out to be a scam, we were all mean to you for posting rumours, and it ended there ... as it stands, looks like I have to make plans to move away from my RA, which is much worse than being needlessly mean to a stranger on an internet forum.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: QF Plat, IHG RA, Marriott Plat
The $20 drink credit is actually a devaluation. For example, you can stay at IC Park Lane and they will give you a drinks voucher that is good for 2 people and you can each have a cocktail or glass of champagne that sell for $30 each.
They do - and top brand champagne is permitted as free drink, which is great. Top tip however is to order drinks first, then show voucher at payment.

If you show your Ambassador voucher first you get a smaller glass!
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by est-gratuite
IHG seems like they want to get rid of the ambassador program altogether, but for whatever reason they can't do this now, so instead they are making it as sh*tty as possible.
Rubbish pay a paltry usd200, and the free upgrade on a 4night stay gets you that cost back. Remember the IC hotels sees none of that usd200 you pay for your Ambassador Status.

Any other benefit on more nights per year you are quids in

No other chain allows you to buy 12months of upgrades.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: IC Dia RA / Marriott LT Plat / WOH Globalist / Hilton Diamond / OZ Diamond Plus
Welcome voucher is the benefit of IHG Rewards Club(Spire, Platinum, Gold). The $20 credit is an Ambassador benefit, the welcome voucher could be alive.
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:42 pm

Except at IC Parklane Ambassadors already get that usd20 credit per stay along with drinks voucher

Marketing 101, if usd2o voucher used in hotel restaurant a couple may buy dinner+drinks for usd200, the hotel hopes to profit by encoraging you to spend extra in hotel to use the voucher
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:58 pm

Is AMB perhaps too cheap to offer tangible benefits...?

About RA, I can also agree that from an earned top tier, you would expect more. It is a good time that ICs without a lounge become more attractive.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:38 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by DonPedro
They do - and top brand champagne is permitted as free drink, which is great. Top tip however is to order drinks first, then show voucher at payment.
If you show your Ambassador voucher first you get a smaller glass!
Wouldn’t they try to charge you for the drink though? I normally opt for welcome points instead of a drink, but very surprised to hear welcome drink can be actually more than a latte, perrier or a coke.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
  1. New Club InterContinental Lounge Access or alternative Club experience: Member must be given a food and beverage or Spa credit of USD100 per night, not exceeding the Club InterContinental upgrade supplement value, applies to Royal Ambassador only.

does anyone know whether this applies when there isn't a club?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien
  1. New Club InterContinental Lounge Access or alternative Club experience: Member must be given a food and beverage or Spa credit of USD100 per night, not exceeding the Club InterContinental upgrade supplement value, applies to Royal Ambassador only.

does anyone know whether this applies when there isn't a club?
Loyalty lobby got hold of docs from IHG , seems to cover both Amb and RA changes, but not same as posted earlier in FT as is not a China version and omits to say b/s only in Greater China

https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/12/18/...019-confirmed/

If there is no club loungeRoyal Ambassador members are to be given upto two complimentary full breakfasts per day. It is also only upto usd100 (not 100usd) on box regars no lounge to RA

Club Intercontinental Lounge Access or alternatenClub experience.
Member will receive a Food & Berverage or Spa credit of upto $100 usd per night.
Applies to Royal Ambassador members Only.

I would note that unlike the 2x Breakfast for RA if no lounge, the upto usd100 to RA for no lounge is one of three compensation points for lack of guaranteed benefit (no upgrade, no 4pm check, no lounge access), which unlike b/f means one can't read it as given if IC lacks lounge. RA lounge is only guaranteed at IC's with a lounge. . So might stop IC Parklane summer trick of mo RA lounge access

I like that RA (doesnt apply to Plain Amb's) won't be chargeed resort or destination fees !
Tim O'Brien likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:06 pm

-----

Last edited by mster; Apr 25, 2019 at 8:34 am
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mster
Are Ambassadors / Royal Ambassadors guaranteed benefits on award stays?

I know that other IHG brands do not guarantee benefits on awards...
Ambassador is irrelevant to the other brands. It is IC specific AFAIK.

Likewise Platinum no Ambassador gets you nothing in an IC. And frankly pretty mulch zilch everywhere else too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.