Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyerTalker688786
Ambassador programme will change on 1st February 2019. This will start with Royal Ambassador's benefits. Then, all other Ambassador will have new benefits from 1st March 2019.

For Royal Ambassadors, the new benefits starts from 1st FEB 2019 will be:
  1. EARLY CHECK-IN from 10AM (instead of 8AM)
  2. ONE COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST FOR EVERY NIGHT YOU STAY [CONFIRMED AS IN GREATER CHINA REGION ONLY, On 1st March, it seems IHG quietly made a U-turn again, now this benefit only APPLIES TO IC HOTELS IN MAINLAND CHINA ONLY, Hong Kong IC hotels are excluded on the last minute U-turn.]
  3. UP TO TWO COMPLIMENTARY FULL BREAKFASTS PER DAY IF THERE IS NO CLUB LOUNGE
  4. UPTO 50USD/200RMB/400HKD MINIBAR CREDIT PER DAY (200USD/800RMB/1600HKD PER STAY MAX)
  5. WAIVED DESTINATION/AMENITY FEES
  6. COMPLIMENTARY WEEKEND NIGHT CERTIFICATE WITH E-DELIVERY
  7. AMBASSADOR BENEFIT GUARANTEE (See below)
  8. [Officially Added Benefits] FREE NIGHTS AT AN IHG PROPERTY (capped at 70K points value)
  9. [Officially Added Benefits] HERTZ GOLD PLUS REWARDS PRESIDENTS' CIRCLE MEMBERSHIP

For all other Ambassadors, the new benefit starts on 1st MARCH 2019:
  1. GUARANTEED PLATINUM ELITE STATUS IN IHG REWARDS CLUB
  2. ONE COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST FOR EVERY NIGHT YOU STAY <== Only for Greater China Stays !
  3. COMPLIMENTARY WEEKEND NIGHT CERTIFICATE WITH E-DELIVERY
  4. WELCOME FRUIT PLATTER (instead of welcome fruits and gifts) <== Only for Greater China Stays !
  5. AMBASSADOR BENEFIT GUARANTEE
ADDITIONAL BENEFITS FOR STAYS IN GREATER CHINA ONLY:
• One complimentary breakfast every night you stay
• 15% discount on restaurants and bars

AMBASSADOR BENEFIT GURANTEE work as bellow:
  1. Guaranteed Room Upgrade: Member must be given a food and beverage or Spa credit up to USD50, or 10,000 IHG Rewards Club points per stay, applies to InterContinental Ambassador and Royal Ambassador only;
  2. 16:00 (4p.m.) Late Check-out: Member must be given a food and beverage or Spa credit up to USD50, or 10,000 IHG Rewards Club points per stay, applies to InterContinental Ambassador and Royal Ambassador only;
  3. New Club InterContinental Lounge Access or alternative Club experience: Member must be given a food and beverage or Spa credit of USD100 per night, not exceeding the Club InterContinental upgrade supplement value, applies to Royal Ambassador only.
Print Wikipost

Changes to Ambassador from 1st March 2019 (now confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:21 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by TravelStar
I don't know about most people, but currently I ask for late checkout only once in a while. Maybe one in ten stays. But if this is true, I will be requesting late checkout EVERY STAY. Even if I have no intention of checking out late. I will be collecting $50 or points every time I am denied.
Here we see the mouse and cat game started just like I mentioned earlier
:D! likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: HH Dia, IHG Dia Amb, MB Ti, WoH G, OWE
Neither happy nor upset with the "enhancement". But atleast I can be Lifetime Platinum Elite just by renewing my AMB without meet yearly nights/EQP requirement. Now focusing on HH Diamond which always granted my room upgrade and complimentary breakfast mostly anywhere.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by mcdos
What marketing genius decided to give Ambassador Platinum? This totally devaluates the IHG Rewards program:
Folks in US can have complimentary Platinum status with a cheap credit card. Finally rest of the world can have the same, paying x4 price.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:37 am

Programs: IHG
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Considering that pretty much every travel loyalty change ever is a devaluation, I will take what I can get here. For regular Amb, if I can actually get the $20 drink credit for each stay, I'm coming out ahead. However, that says "up to," so I;m not counting on it. Everything else appears about the same. Sure I am a bit concerned about hotels "buying their way out of benefits". I really don't think they want to do that though. Especially not as a best practice.

For as much as the RAs don't want to hear it, the heavy minibar drinkers don't appear to be as coveted as they think they are. These kinds of changes are generally to take a benefit in which only a very small percentage of customers, account for a significant portion of the expense.

The $20 drink credit is actually a devaluation. For example, you can stay at IC Park Lane and they will give you a drinks voucher that is good for 2 people and you can each have a cocktail or glass of champagne that sell for $30 each.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:07 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Hmm... when staying in a single room, the 20$ voucher might cover a "free" breakfast. When staying as a couple, I will definitely try and chose a Marriott/starwood or Hilton stay with free elite breakfast for two. Did it in the past, will continue to do so where there is a choice.

Nothing in the new enhancements overly positive or negative, it seems to be a change that is pretty neutral. And with all the changes to the negative side everywhere this is welcome.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: SQ S, IHG Diamond/Amb, Accor S
Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
Hmm... when staying in a single room, the 20$ voucher might cover a "free" breakfast.
Not sure about the $20 but I don't think that I have ever stayed in an Intercontinental in Europe where breakfast was 15 Euros or less.
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
We shall see whether this means in practice ICs will routinely not offer upgrades for Ambassadors. Seems to me cheaper to pay customer off than provide upgrade. A proper guarantee would be stay free if upgrade not provided!
This has yet to be seen. Paying out credits is rarely good for the bottom line. One of management's primary duties is controlling expenses. Imagine telling your boss you paid $5000 in fees for this, but they were good fees. Paying them out for not offering 4 pm checkouts is largely lazy. Now maybe if someone is willing to spend hundreds more for an upgrade, I can see the worth in wanting to pay out in that scenario. Still, it is quite easy to offer an "upgrade".

Originally Posted by turner32
The $20 drink credit is actually a devaluation. For example, you can stay at IC Park Lane and they will give you a drinks voucher that is good for 2 people and you can each have a cocktail or glass of champagne that sell for $30 each.
Nothing is stopping them from still giving that to you, the same way nothing required them to give it to you previously. At best, I am lucky to get bogo drink vouchers in most of my IC stays. That requires me to buy drinks. a $20 credit could allow me to enjoy 2 drinks for free, without having to buy 2 more. $20 could also cover to bulk of the highly coveted breakfast bill. You know, that thing where people will pay more for their stay to get a "free" breakfast. Still, this language is "up to $20."
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
I see details in the OP about the compensation included in the new guarantee for ambassador benefits, and I see many references in this thread about the $50, but I don't see those details in either the ambassador T&C or the email that was sent out officially announcing the program "enhancements." Can anyone verify that the $50 credit is actually and officially a thing?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: SAS Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG RA Spire
https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/12/18/...019-confirmed/

A copy of the much talked about document.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by ILS2
InterContinental Royal Ambassador members will lose double occupancy for the price of a single.

This is a very bad change in fact.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by DuMaInSin
Not sure about the $20 but I don't think that I have ever stayed in an Intercontinental in Europe where breakfast was 15 Euros or less.
Yep. Take the IC Geneva for instance. $20 will cover just under half a breakfast for one...
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by ILS2

Thanks for posting.

Not good news is it .... very surprised at the narrowness of the thinking.

I can't see much to be greatly enthused at and only things that might encourage one to consider the future budget and where it goes. I get looked after well at regular haunts. All the same, this does not encourage spend loyalty going forward.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by Atacama40
Thanks for posting.

Not good news is it .... very surprised at the narrowness of the thinking.

I can't see much to be greatly enthused at and only things that might encourage one to consider the future budget and where it goes. I get looked after well at regular haunts. All the same, this does not encourage spend loyalty going forward.
So short sighted on IHG part, I dread to think how much I have spent on F&B in house this year because I have had a few out the mini bar and then been to lazy to go out or decided to eat in room because the drinks are free.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Originally Posted by barracuda93
InterContinental Royal Ambassador members will lose double occupancy for the price of a single.

This is a very bad change in fact.

In some countries the price for a 2nd guest in the room pushes the price up by A LOT.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
IHG seems like they want to get rid of the ambassador program altogether, but for whatever reason they can't do this now, so instead they are making it as sh*tty as possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.