FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Crowne Plaza Heathrow T4 Master Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1943401-crowne-plaza-heathrow-t4-master-thread.html)

unusualtravelblog Dec 1, 2018 3:24 pm

Crowne Plaza Heathrow T4 Master Thread

I decided to create this thread because I can't seem to find a post about this hotel. It looks like FTers always decide to stay at the one in Stockley Road.

I arrived at the hotel as Spire Ambassador, hoping to get upgraded and get club lounge access. Boy was I wrong.

Booked King Standard, received King Business room.
The biggest advantage of this hotel is how easy it is to access. A tunnel brings you straight from T4 departures to the hotel. It is the same tunnel for Hilton, Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza and one other I forgot the name of.

Kiwi Flyer Dec 1, 2018 3:30 pm

It is a new hotel whose delayed opening meant some people booked there had to be moved.

harryhv Dec 1, 2018 8:06 pm

Here's reviews of the "two" hotels which are in a new building on the same walkway as the T4 Hilton
Conclusions seem to be the HIX is cheaper for the exact same building, restaurant etc.
https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/1...minal-4-hotel/
https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/1...ow-terminal-4/

. Very happy to see IHG hotels actually on the airport, usually a hotel named as Holiday Inn MEX T2 turns out to be 10 miles from the terminal T2 or whatever. Like the Hilton in Slough which is ironically called the Hilton LHR T5

nicehands Dec 2, 2018 10:48 am

I just stayed at HIE T4 and recommend either hotel for easy access without a shuttle for early departures or late arrivals from T4. Yes, the restaurant and lounge are attached to both hotels.
The breakfast buffet at HIE met my expectations and was offered as continental at 5:00 and with hot items after 6:00. This is a nice alternative to the dowdy IHG properties around LHR.

clubman Dec 25, 2018 12:13 am

Originally Posted by unusualtravelblog (Post 30488463)
I arrived at the hotel as Spire Ambassador, hoping to get upgraded and get club lounge access. Boy was I wrong.

Club lounge access isn't a Spire benefit even if some CP extend it to members. What benefits did you actually get as Spire? breakfast? Drink voucher?

FlyerTalker688786 Dec 25, 2018 7:52 am

Originally Posted by clubman (Post 30571973)
Club lounge access isn't a Spire benefit even if some CP extend it to members. What benefits did you actually get as Spire? breakfast? Drink voucher?

Currently in Europe CP is guaranteed one level upgrade, welcome bonus points or a drink voucher. Many CPs are offering Club access including CPs in Helsinki, Dublin airport and Heathrow Airport (not the T4 one).

Hilton is much better IMO. CP needs to up its offering.

Land-of-Miles Dec 25, 2018 10:30 am

Isn’t the reality that the lounge at the CP T4 isn’t due to open until the new year?

The only CP I have ever been to in the UK which was hit and miss in respect to lounge access was Stratford upon Avon with every other CP I have visited in the last 2 years giving lounge access at least as a Spire welcome amenity choice. I am sure there are others but lounge access as a Spire benefit seems to be more the norm than the exception.

lost_in_translation Dec 25, 2018 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles (Post 30572781)
Isn’t the reality that the lounge at the CP T4 isn’t due to open until the new year?

The only CP I have ever been to in the UK which was hit and miss in respect to lounge access was Stratford upon Avon with every other CP I have visited in the last 2 years giving lounge access at least as a Spire welcome amenity choice. I am sure there are others but lounge access as a Spire benefit seems to be more the norm than the exception.

They have been selling Club Rooms for nights since the end of November which advertise access to the lounge as part of the room description.

I got a 'Welcome and thanks for being a Spire' when I stayed here a few weeks back (I think just before the lounge opened as it was just before they started offering Club Rooms for sale) but that was literally it in terms of benefits, didn't even get a bump to a Business Room. Still a nice hotel and very convenient for Terminal 4. If I'm being hyper-critical the bed and pillows are a bit cheap, but that's the CP brand standard I suppose.

Land-of-Miles Dec 25, 2018 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation (Post 30573094)
They have been selling Club Rooms for nights since the end of November which advertise access to the lounge as part of the room description.

I got a 'Welcome and thanks for being a Spire' when I stayed here a few weeks back (I think just before the lounge opened as it was just before they started offering Club Rooms for sale) but that was literally it in terms of benefits, didn't even get a bump to a Business Room. Still a nice hotel and very convenient for Terminal 4. If I'm being hyper-critical the bed and pillows are a bit cheap, but that's the CP brand standard I suppose.

Reading Rob’s review at HFP it seemed clear the club lounge was not opening until the January 2019, and few hotels in any chain have a significant difference between Club and regular rooms.

Raffles Dec 26, 2018 11:41 am

The lounge - and the entire top floor - were definitely shut when I was there in late November, even though the hotel was selling rooms with lounge access! I assume they were fobbing people off with free breakfast and a few drinks vouchers.

Someone commented on HFP in the last couple of days that the lounge was now open so it seems they have managed to pull it forward a couple of weeks.

Note my overall conclusion - if you don't have lounge access, you get better value booking a room at the HIX to save £35 and eating and drinking in the CP facilities (can be cross charged).

zebranz Feb 1, 2019 7:50 am

If I arrive Term 5 can I take the connections bus to T4 and clear UK immigration/customs there? Is this the best way?

The following day I am going to IC Park Lane. Is it easier to go back to T 2/3 and take Heathrow Express and cab, or take Piccadilly Line to Hyde Park Corner from T4?

Crofton138 Feb 1, 2019 8:59 am

I stayed at the CP Heathrow T4 last night and as a Spire, I received the following:

- no upgrade (booked King Club and that's what was given)
- free breakfast
- free mini-bar (small selection consisting of 1 gin, tonic, coke, diet coke & small tub of pringles)
- drinks voucher or points for usual welcome amenity

corporate-wage-slave Feb 1, 2019 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by zebranz (Post 30727332)
If I arrive Term 5 can I take the connections bus to T4 and clear UK immigration/customs there? Is this the best way?

The following day I am going to IC Park Lane. Is it easier to go back to T 2/3 and take Heathrow Express and cab, or take Piccadilly Line to Hyde Park Corner from T4?

Yes you could go via the Flight Connections bus, so long as you arrive into T5 before about 21:30 hours and don't have any checked luggage. Otherwise there are about 7 free buses an hour from T5 landside to T4, bus 482 or 490, from bus stop 7 on the Arrivals level, very close to where you emerge from the baggage reclaim area.

I would take the Piccadilly line, it's just a lot easier than switching to HEX or TfL Rail. It's probably about the same time overall. If you have luggage just select a tube carriage seating area where the luggage area is near your seat. Remember to have a contactless payment card for the tube, or Google / Apple Pay.

corporate-wage-slave Feb 1, 2019 2:32 pm

Just to put up some photos and a mini review. I've had 2 stays at this hotel now, one a few days after it opened (never a good idea) and another about a week after. In both cases I had very early flights so I can't comment on the breakfast, but it is a reasonably good option in view of its connectivity to T4 and the other terminals. On both occasions the check-in process seemed to take a long time, I've been somewhat spoilt by Hilton's Digital Key system where there is no check-in experience at all. On the first visit there was only one person on reception, and one couple in front who seemingly had a vast list of questions to run through. The agent then walked them to their room, leaving me to look at the empty reception desk until the agent had returned!

But I guess these are minor things, the room is well equipped and very quiet. One of my stays was directly overlooking the main roundabout at the entrance to T4 and yet it was totally silent in the room. There is a goodly set of power sockets in all the right places, including UK, USA, Europe and USB chargers.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...922/LikwxJ.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...921/8DfzBB.jpg

The tunnel is accessed from the Depatures level right by the El Al check-in area, which is on the far right as you enter the building. It is signposted but one sign is missing, just keep your eyes on the right side with El Al on the left side.

The best local alternative to the CP at its price point would be the next door Hilton T4.

zebranz Feb 1, 2019 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 30728914)
Yes you could go via the Flight Connections bus, so long as you arrive into T5 before about 21:30 hours and don't have any checked luggage. Otherwise there are about 7 free buses an hour from T5 landside to T4, bus 482 or 490, from bus stop 7 on the Arrivals level, very close to where you emerge from the baggage reclaim area.

I would take the Piccadilly line, it's just a lot easier than switching to HEX or TfL Rail. It's probably about the same time overall. If you have luggage just select a tube carriage seating area where the luggage area is near your seat. Remember to have a contactless payment card for the tube, or Google / Apple Pay.

Thanks for the assistance- yes, no luggage, arriving well before 2130 and I have an AMEX Hilton contactless card to use.