Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worst Use Ever of Chase Free Night Cert?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton - Diamond; SPG/Marriott - Gold
Worst Use Ever of Chase Free Night Cert?

Both my wife and I have had the Chase card for awhile. I’m a firm believer of using the annual cert for travel we would have taken anyway.

To that end, we’ve had some poor redemptions in the past (in the $100 - $150 range). This year however, we’ll use it at the HIX Alamosa. CO during their annual sale, cash price is $82/night.

Has anyone else used their cert for such a poor redemption? Short of just letting it expire, what’s the lowest cash rate you’ve used your cert for?
Old Nov 22, 2018, 9:32 pm

That’s a no from me dog
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:08 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Ideally, of course you use it for higher value redemptions. However, saving 82$ is still better than getting 0$ out of it if the cert expires. YMMV
Exiled in Express and trooper like this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by demue
Ideally, of course you use it for higher value redemptions. However, saving 82$ is still better than getting 0$ out of it if the cert expires. YMMV
Good point and exactly my analysis. $82 plus taxes in exchange for the $49 AF is quite a good deal.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 10:30 am

Don't forget that you just have to book before expiration - your stay can be after it.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lowfareair
Don't forget that you just have to book before expiration - your stay can be after it.
This is a strategy I used last year. I went from a <$100 HIX just before the expiration to booking the CP Seattle 4 months after the expiration date. The catch is once the expiry passes no changes can be made to the advance booking.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
This is a strategy I used last year. I went from a <$100 HIX just before the expiration to booking the CP Seattle 4 months after the expiration date. The catch is once the expiry passes no changes can be made to the advance booking.
Thabk you for the advice. Based on this guidance, I forewent the Alamosa HIX (especially after it went down to $68 suring the cyber sale) and will book a hotel with the free night cert once my summer travel plans firm up.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
I only got 1 use of the unrestricted cert. $500 Venetian Saturday night. I'll take it.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
The only really poor redemption value is when you get less back than your AF of the card is and even then you still have Platinum status for free.

FTers and especially bloggers love to salivate over sky high redemption values but lets not forget that the most expensive properties are often located at the most remote locations (Bora Bora, Maldives) where it's difficult and expensive to get to. And then you have ONE night after which you need to book additional nights with cash or points.

I rather do something simple in the "normal" range of hotels and don't get a headache over the value. This year I used it at IC Hong Kong which was ~ $300 a night that day. Easy peasy.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Super Mario
I only got 1 use of the unrestricted cert. $500 Venetian Saturday night. I'll take it.
The problem with Las Vegas is that the same room costs $110 during the week so it's very inflated value. But as I wrote above I think the most value comes from being happy with the stay and not the theoretical price tag of the room itself.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by lowfareair
Further to this, I wanted to confirm we can stack the free nights? Obviously, two reservations, but can I use them on consecutive nights even though one will be technically expired at same hotel?

Have a trip to NYC in Feb for two nights and wanted to book my expiring cert (expires Jan 8 2019) and my new certificate.

Is that possible?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:08 pm

Yes you can since you are making two separate reservations and each of them are using its respective cert.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
The problem with Las Vegas is that the same room costs $110 during the week so it's very inflated value. But as I wrote above I think the most value comes from being happy with the stay and not the theoretical price tag of the room itself.
That's going to be a problem with a lot of good "weekend destinations". Saturday nights are usually ridiculous due to high-demand. We sometimes forget that because not all ICs are this way, some are very business-oriented.

When I go there, all other nights are paid cash. Saturday nights are reward nights.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: IHG Spire- Marriott-Hilton Diamond sort of- Choice Diamond
I let 2 certificates expire, what a waste!

This summer I made up for by using a cert. for a $1200 room. Worst and Best redemptions
Boraxo likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The way I look at it, if you can use it for a hotel which is no more including taxes (since most taxes are not charged on reward stays) than your AF, it's not a waste. If you still have the older $49 AF card, it'd be hard to find an IHG hotel for less than that (including taxes), wouldn't it? If you've upgraded to the $89 AF card, then it's certainly possible to find IHG hotels that cost less in some areas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.