Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club lounge upsell. Are charges elite-qualifying?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Club lounge upsell. Are charges elite-qualifying?

I recently had an award night stay at an IC. Upon check-in, I was offered to pay for club lounge access which I did.

The points posted as non-qualifying accommodation expenses. I contacted the hotel about it and they gave me 3000 appreciation points. That doesn't really help me as those appreciation points are not elite-qualifying and I'm a few thousand points short of reaching spire.

So, once again, should the charges for an upsell to club lounge access count as elite-qualifying spending or not?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:15 am

Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold, GHA - plat
According to t+c the stay is non-elite qualifying, so, I assume the spend (which is also non-accommodation related, but lounge access) would also be non-qualifying.
1flyer and dw like this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Upsell charges do not earn points.
1flyer likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks for clarifying!

For the record, I did check IHG Rewards Club's ToC before posting and didn't find anything specific.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by 1flyer
I recently had an award night stay at an IC. Upon check-in, I was offered to pay for club lounge access which I did.

The points posted as non-qualifying accommodation expenses. I contacted the hotel about it and they gave me 3000 appreciation points. That doesn't really help me as those appreciation points are not elite-qualifying and I'm a few thousand points short of reaching spire.

So, once again, should the charges for an upsell to club lounge access count as elite-qualifying spending or not?
If you get to look at online bill categories breakdown (Room, f+b, etc etc spending type category breakdown) you'll see that "Lounge Upsell and Room Type Upsell" both get added into the "Room Rate Spend Category"

o On a paid stay this would increase your room rate by upsell and thus you earn points for lounge upsell
o On an Award night, being unpaid , no points are earned from the "room rate spend category"
o Any ancillary spend on award nights eg f+b should not in any case earn points, but on award night even if lucky to incorrectly get points for f+b, you still won't for lounge upsell or room cat upsell
1flyer likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

scubaccr,

Thanks a lot, this is really useful information!!
Old Nov 13, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by scubaccr

o On a paid stay this would increase your room rate by upsell and thus you earn points for lounge upsell
o On an Award night, being unpaid , no points are earned from the "room rate spend category"
o Any ancillary spend on award nights eg f+b should not in any case earn points, but on award night even if lucky to incorrectly get points for f+b, you still won't for lounge upsell or room cat upsell
I had a room free on points but paid to upgrade to a better room with club access.
The hotel emailed someone and I got the points and they were elite qualifying.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Nov 18, 2018 at 3:30 am Reason: rrepaired quote
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:33 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by rebadc
I had a room free on points but paid to upgrade to a better room with club access.
The hotel emailed someone and I got the points and they were elite qualifying.
I think you got lucky , you were not entitled to any points for your upsell from basic award room to club-room on your award booking.

It is something most of us RAs are aware of, as when booking premium rooms multiple cats above entry level rooms which then upgrades and results in one of that ICs best suites, if we tack on the odd free night(s), ie award, cert, we can expect be asked to contribute extra ie upsell, to keep that nice room, and we don't get points for our upsell $$$ amount. We are talking us$300/night upsell or more here.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:39 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
F&B on award stays has always qualified for points in my experience which is over 100 redeemed nights around the UK, Europe, Canada and USA at Holiday Inn Express, Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza, Indigo and Intercontinental. As I understand and have experienced it any room rate charges on redemptions don’t qualify, so room type upgrades, suite upgrades and lounge access don’t, but ancillary charges signed to the room such as breakfast, alcohol and dinner do qualify.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
F&B on award stays has always qualified for points in my experience which is over 100 redeemed nights around the UK, Europe, Canada and USA at Holiday Inn Express, Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza, Indigo and Intercontinental. As I understand and have experienced it any room rate charges on redemptions don’t qualify, so room type upgrades, suite upgrades and lounge access don’t, but ancillary charges signed to the room such as breakfast, alcohol and dinner do qualify.
That's been my experience as well on award stays. However, I have only had F&B charges on my bill for my award stays. And have never paid for a club upgrade with one at an IC. So I can't comment on that aspect. Also, I thought that properties like HIXs do not give point credit for F&B charges, regardless if its a paid or award stay.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
When I have had a mixed stay of award and paid nights and have either paid for room upgrade or club,depending what I had booked , the the charges have been mixed in with other spend and elite qualifying points awarded

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.