Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I know it's silly, but: Hurrah, I'm achieving Spire!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis Pref, DL Silver, National EE
I just joined IHG for the first time at the beginning of this year, and I achieved Spire status back in July. My stays are at least 85% HIX properties, all in the U.S., so the lounge access, etc. is not a big value to me. Earning the 100% point bonus is the biggest perk for me (effectively triple points now with the current promotion). The program fits me well as a midwest/suburb/small town hotel frequenter. Just by doing my job and staying 80 or 90 nights a year at IHG hotels will earn me over a thousand dollars worth of free hotel nights for my family. And with starting out January 2019 as Spire, as opposed to waiting until July, the points earned will even be higher for me.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:55 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by royalbrett
I just joined IHG for the first time at the beginning of this year, and I achieved Spire status back in July. My stays are at least 85% HIX properties, all in the U.S., so the lounge access, etc. is not a big value to me. Earning the 100% point bonus is the biggest perk for me (effectively triple points now with the current promotion). The program fits me well as a midwest/suburb/small town hotel frequenter. Just by doing my job and staying 80 or 90 nights a year at IHG hotels will earn me over a thousand dollars worth of free hotel nights for my family. And with starting out January 2019 as Spire, as opposed to waiting until July, the points earned will even be higher for me.
I agree that the bonus points accumulate quicker as a Spire which is great. However, there is very little to enhance your stay if you are a Spire member compared to a Platinum member. On the ground, whether you are a Platinum or Spire, the treatment and experience that you'll get at the hotel is very much the same.

I wouldn't dream of making a big effort to get Spire over Platinum, unless it's only for the extra points on future stays.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
I don't stay at hotels nearly as much as I used to and most of my stays now are Hilton. I do still have the IHG credit card for my stays with them. I keep it mostly because the annual fee is definitely worth the free night. However, I just logged into my account and see that I am only 12,000 points away from Spire. I haven't paid attention and didn't really know what that was so came here looking. I do have a 2 night stay at a Crowne Plaza later this month. I know that won't get me the 12,000 I need. I have been trying to find what all counts as qualifying points, because I know I haven't earned that many from just my 19 nights this year (6 of them were rewards nights). I am trying to determine if it is possible for me to reach spire or if it is even worth it.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Originally Posted by graeylin
Yes, that would be nice.

My goal now is to have 1,000,000 points, just so the clerks eyes get wide when they recite it to me upon check-in.
If you've got that many points, then make sure you're account is secure. Change your PIN now and make sure all your other personal data (email, phone number, address) is accurate.
Loads of IHG members have had their accounts hacked with ALL their points stolen as mentioned in other threads on flyertalk.
From the feedback I read here, most of the time IHG didn't seem to care much.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ksucats
I don't stay at hotels nearly as much as I used to and most of my stays now are Hilton. I do still have the IHG credit card for my stays with them. I keep it mostly because the annual fee is definitely worth the free night. However, I just logged into my account and see that I am only 12,000 points away from Spire. I haven't paid attention and didn't really know what that was so came here looking. I do have a 2 night stay at a Crowne Plaza later this month. I know that won't get me the 12,000 I need. I have been trying to find what all counts as qualifying points, because I know I haven't earned that many from just my 19 nights this year (6 of them were rewards nights). I am trying to determine if it is possible for me to reach spire or if it is even worth it.
Can you take advantage of a 5000 point bonus during your stay? Check your hotel again, and see if they offer a bonus point rate (either 5000 for the stay, or 1000 additional per night). It won't get you there with this stay, but... puts you closer.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
Hi there, I have achieved Spire for the first time last week.
I read somewhere that you get 25K points bonus when you become Spire.
When was this offered to you?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

From others in this thread and other threads, it takes a bit for IHG to process everything, and get the offer. Couple weeks, maybe? I don't remember what was said.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:12 pm

I’ll hit Spire next week and just hit Marriott Platinum with lifetime gold. As a IHG Platinum, just don’t see the benefit to Spire, but looks like I’ll have it next week.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by unusualtravelblog
Hi there, I have achieved Spire for the first time last week.
I read somewhere that you get 25K points bonus when you become Spire.
When was this offered to you?
Did you check on your IHG account? When you login, scroll down and on the left-hand side of the page is a box showing the membership card and any awards available.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
Originally Posted by Crofton138
Did you check on your IHG account? When you login, scroll down and on the left-hand side of the page is a box showing the membership card and any awards available.
Indeed, I could select either the points or gift status. Thank you!
Old May 9, 2019, 12:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Got Spire yesterday after my last couple of stays posted (day or two later than usual perhaps due to a Bank Holiday / Public Holiday here in the UK)
Bit lacking in any pomp and circumstance to be honest, although I wasn't expecting much. No emails about it, just a change in wording ("You are Spire Elite") a and a boring looking reddish card on the app.

Found the option of the 25k points / Platinum status gift and took the points which instantly appeared in my account.
Will cover a reward night at the very least or go towards the Pointbreaks thing.
Old May 9, 2019, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Crofton138
can you specifically show me where this is? Or describe which links to click on? I’m only Plat but family is Spire so want to ensure they know where to click. Thanks.
Old May 10, 2019, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by db1234db1234
can you specifically show me where this is? Or describe which links to click on? I’m only Plat but family is Spire so want to ensure they know where to click. Thanks.
Login to your account and then click on 'My Account'. On the left-hand side, you should see your points total, and then underneath, there should be a 'Spire Elite' box, as shown below. Click on 'Explore Your Benefits' and it'll be there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.