Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG Prepaid Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Value isn't what the hotel is charging - it's what you'd pay for the room.
I agree with the above. But I disagree with your other generalizations. I don't see how you can claim the absolute best people can expect out of their IHG points is .5 cent per point and adding that .4 cents is the more realistic figure.

While the .5/.4 cents figures might ring true for some IHG members, it doesn't for others. I regularly buy points at .5 cents because I have much more valuable redemption options.

And I reiterate: Point redemptions are attractive when room rates are high. Your argument that you'd book another hotel if the cash rate at an IHG property is high is only part of the equation. Of course, it makes sense to shop around. No way I would claim one should redeem IHG points whenever IHG properties' cash rates are high.

But it's a fact that hotel rates are more and more in sync these days. When cash rates at Palazzo and Venetian (IHG) are particularly high on one weekend, chances are room rates at Elara (Hilton), Bellagio (Hyatt), and Wynn are high, too. And that relation doesn't just hold for Vegas. Late last year, I needed a room in midtown NYC on short notice. It turned out basically all properties charged north of $350: HIX, Moxy, Novotel, Marriott, Hilton Garden Inn etc.

So a redemption with IHG (a program without surge pricing for awards) made a lot of sense and gave me a very good return on the points used.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ryanp
I agree with the above. But I disagree with your other generalizations. I don't see how you can claim the absolute best people can expect out of their IHG points is .5 cent per point and adding that .4 cents is the more realistic figure.

While the .5/.4 cents figures might ring true for some IHG members, it doesn't for others. I regularly buy points at .5 cents because I have much more valuable redemption options.
You misunderstand me. I didn't mean that you can't possibly get more than 0.5 cents. What I mean is that you are deluding yourself if you think that the points are worth more - on average and across hundreds of IHG hotels. If you start believing that you should only use points when you're getting 0.7 cents or better, or should buy unlimited quantities of points at 0.5 cents because they're "worth more than that", then you are going to lose out from devaluations and/or you need to do serious mental gymnastics to convince yourself that you're "getting high value" for them.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by craigthemif
You misunderstand me. I didn't mean that you can't possibly get more than 0.5 cents. What I mean is that you are deluding yourself if you think that the points are worth more - on average and across hundreds of IHG hotels. If you start believing that you should only use points when you're getting 0.7 cents or better, or should buy unlimited quantities of points at 0.5 cents because they're "worth more than that", then you are going to lose out from devaluations and/or you need to do serious mental gymnastics to convince yourself that you're "getting high value" for them.
Diminishing marginal utility of consumption along with the fact that IHG points are illiquid (i.e., you can't easily convert them back into Ł/€/$) implies that the "average" points value you are referring to is not a useful concept in this context.

If I have 200k points in my account, a point has different value than with 2m points in my account. That is true even if points inflation is negligible (as people discount the future; you have only limited free time you can use to enjoy award nights).

Personally, I just have a few 100k points in my account. So perhaps it's not that surprising my take on points value and the prepaid MC is different than that of posters which have an order of magnitude more.

But I can't resist posting that points millionaires (for whom--everything else equal--the points value should indeed be lower) probably have a bigger problem than the exact value of an IHG point. Given the limited redemption opportunities many (not yet retired) travellers got in any given year, I would question if it was smart to accumulate so many points with IHG. As we all know, IHG has very few luxury properties. If I generated a huge number of nights and points essentially for free through work travel, I'd be looking harder at Accor, Hilton, Hyatt, MO, Marriott, etc. IHG has nothing compared to Raffles, Waldorf Astoria, Park Hyatt, MO, St. Regis, Ritz-Carlton, etc.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by ryanp

But I can't resist posting that points millionaires (for whom--everything else equal--the points value should indeed be lower) probably have a bigger problem than the exact value of an IHG point. Given the limited redemption opportunities many (not yet retired) travellers got in any given year, I would question if it was smart to accumulate so many points with IHG. As we all know, IHG has very few luxury properties. If I generated a huge number of nights and points essentially for free through work travel, I'd be looking harder at Accor, Hilton, Hyatt, MO, Marriott, etc. IHG has nothing compared to Raffles, Waldorf Astoria, Park Hyatt, MO, St. Regis, Ritz-Carlton, etc.
You really should resist posting since you might not be able to understand that there are travellers who hold highest status in more or less every chain. You might further not be able to understand that there are parts of the world where Raffles, Waldorf=Astoria, Park Hyatt, MO, St. Regis and Ritz-Carlton to not have an anyhow relevant footprint. And there are other part of the world where eg. Waldorf=Astoria are nothing but crappy three star properties (eg. Florida). And you might not be able to understand that there are travellers like myself, who eg use an IC in one place, a Westin in another place and a Hilton in a third place. It all depends on personal schedules and preferences. I do avoid certain ICs as I do avoid certain Waldord=Astorias or certain other places. I have a choice. And "I would question" whether somebody without such schedules is "smart" enough to comprehend this fully.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:38 am

Any difference between the "Meeting Credits" card and the "Any Hotel, Anywhere" card?

The naming of the cards is not very clear imo.

From the product details I seem to understand that the "Meeting Credits" card is good for any expenses at an IHG property, and the "Any Hotel, Anywhere" card is good at any hotel.

Can someone confirm?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
IC Prague - accepted
IC Marceau Avenue (Paris) - Rejected
Cielito_ likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:02 pm

Not Accepted: IC Berlin, IC Düsseldorf, IC Frankfurt, IC Ljubljana, IC Bucharest, Indigo Dresden.
Some of them let other properties charge my card succesfully, in others I went without paying, they said they will solve this internally, but they never did...

Accepted: Lisbon so far.
User Flying Lawyer mentioned that it works fine in most HI, CP properties and in IC Madrid / Paris - LeGrand / London Park Lane / London - The O2 / Estoril / Porto - Palacio das Cardosas.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:39 am

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
I would be interested to know if they are accepted in asia would be nice if I could use in Hong Kong or Danang even the Thai properties would be handy for me.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Sure sometimes points booking only get a basic room for 2. With cash, I can book a room for our family with a teenager.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:58 am

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum, National EE
Originally Posted by 336
Any difference between the "Meeting Credits" card and the "Any Hotel, Anywhere" card?

The naming of the cards is not very clear imo.

From the product details I seem to understand that the "Meeting Credits" card is good for any expenses at an IHG property, and the "Any Hotel, Anywhere" card is good at any hotel.

Can someone confirm?
This is my understanding as well. At 260,000 points for a $1,000 "Meeting Credits" card, this seems to be a better value if being used at IHG properties. Worth noting that there is a 2% conversion fee when used outside the U.S.

I called IHG and was assured the Meeting Credits card would work at either of the ICs in Bora Bora, FWIW.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 1:58 am

As a Spire Amb, it seems to make no difference in terms of status benefits whether I book an award or a regular night.

I easily get a value of 0.8-0.9 cents on award stays, even when comparing versus a non-flex rate. (More when comparing award vis-a-vis flex rate.)

It is a bit of work as at some properties, many due to their prices fluctuating so heavily. E.g., recently, I needed a cheap-ish hotel near MAD just to crash for 8 hours between flights. Four weeks prior to the date, all properties (Hilton, Melia, Accor, IHG) were hellishly expensive. The CP was completely sold out. A few days later, a few rooms opened up at the CP. Cash was 250€, but award nights for 25k were available. So I booked an award. I kept checking prices regularly like once or twice every week or so. Cash prices continued to fall until like, 48h before my stay, the rate was down to 104€. Plus there was increased cashback to be had at topcashback.co.uk. So I reserved a regular room and cancelled the award.

Morale of the story: Optimal points usage can be a bit of work. In that story, it was more time-consuming than normal and I ended up not spending points. But, the bottom line is that I can get a value of 0.8-0.9 cents just by paying a little bit of attention.

Obviously, with brain.exe not running, you can make very poor decisions booking award stays, getting as little value as 0.2-0.3 cents. For people who don't like to maximize or people who simply don't have the time to do so, these prepaid cards are a decent option.

Last edited by lipsum; Jun 1, 2019 at 2:13 am
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Can I check if this prepaid card is available for redemption outside US/UK? I am based in SG and when I logged into my account, I am not able to select this gift card and encountered error.

https://catalog.ihg.com/79462IHHCLUB...duct/_/A-02988
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
When starting to maximise one should use proper exchange rates: even with the weaker EUR 4600 ZAR ist 300 EUR only. And my Corporate Rate ist 3200 ZAR for your night. But you are right: 30000 points is not a bad value.

My calculation is however different: 3200 ZAR equals 240 USD. Cash rate gives me 10% cash back, bringing the rate down to 216 USD. When using the 1000 USD prepaid awards Mastercard for 265000 points, this night costs 57240 points (216/1000 * 265000). 216 USD room rate however gives me 4320 fresh points (without considering any promotion), which brings the rate down to 52920 points. If this is a business stay, I get proper invoice I can use for all purposes one can use an invoice for.

And this price secures me

- my RA upgrades (in particular in the OTA IC)
- works for my status
- and a few other benefits.

And this example just does the math for an expensive night in a point-cheap hotel. Real maximising is more than just comparing plain cash and plain points rates, my friend.
Bit late to this and something of a tangential point but what upgrade at the IC JNB? My only stay there was memorable for a complete lack of any benefit there at all as a RA apart from the minibar where after a massive stand up row I went about ensuring that I emptied all the contents I didn't drink down the sink as I was so annoyed about the lack of upgrade when clearly there was an available suite to upgrade me to available for sale.

Since at that particular property status seems to be worth very little, it seems like a decent enough redemption opportunity, of course I would never stay there again and much rather stay at the infinitely better IC Sandton and use their shuttle and the Gautrain.

I burned through a lot of IHG points last year and this for work stays and recharged my company the equivalent revenue cost which was quite a bit better value than taking the prepaid card but I do see the appeal of the card where it works out well.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: SAS Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG RA Spire
I have decided to get a couple of these because:
- Account balance was nearing one million (don't want to wake up to a sudden devaluation)
- Lack of time for personal travel (can't even find time to burn the RA "free night" voucher), but plenty of corporate travels
- Would like to guarantee full RA benefits on rewards
- My local currency is nearing a 20-year low vs USD (the prepaid card are in USD, so no exchange rate horrors)
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Originally Posted by ILS2
I have decided to get a couple of these because:
- Account balance was nearing one million (don't want to wake up to a sudden devaluation)
- Lack of time for personal travel (can't even find time to burn the RA "free night" voucher), but plenty of corporate travels
- Would like to guarantee full RA benefits on rewards
- My local currency is nearing a 20-year low vs USD (the prepaid card are in USD, so no exchange rate horrors)
Hi, can you assist to share how you can redeem for this prepaid card? When I click on the Redeem button, I keep encountering the error message. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.