Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Closing IHG Card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Closing IHG Card

Once this account is closed would I have access to my points still like with a SW card? Or should I make sure to use all the points first.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Caribgrl
Once this account is closed would I have access to my points still like with a SW card? Or should I make sure to use all the points first.
IHG credit card or are you referring to your IHG member account eg spire or platinum card?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by antichef
IHG credit card or are you referring to your IHG member account eg spire or platinum card?
IHG credit card.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
My IHG branded credit card credits the points earned to my IHG membership number. The branded credit card has no effect on the IHG account so you can keep using them until they are used.

If you have a free night there might be some snag as I think they are awarded at the end of the year (depending on paid or free version of credit card) IIRC
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I do have a free night that I will be using in the next week or so. It's after that I plan to close the cc and just wasn't sure about the remaining points that would be on the account.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:45 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
What's a SW card?
Wait until your next monthly statement so that the IHG points are transferred over
Caribgrl likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Southwest card. Yes definitely will wait until points are transferred.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:46 am

Why not downgrade to the free card, to keep the account history?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Thanks. I do have a free night that I will be using in the next week or so. It's after that I plan to close the cc and just wasn't sure about the remaining points that would be on the account.
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
Why not downgrade to the free card, to keep the account history?
Presumably, the OP has the IHG Select card, which is no longer available. Unless the OP can't use the anniversary free night (which doesn't seem to be the case) or the 10% points rebate, it seems kind of silly to close (or even downgrade) a card that only costs $49 a year... If they decide to get another IHG credit card in the future, they'd lose out on the annual points rebate AND pay a higher annual fee.

OP, don't forget that your points will expire 12 months after you lose status.
Caribgrl likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Tennen
Presumably, the OP has the IHG Select card, which is no longer available. Unless the OP can't use the anniversary free night (which doesn't seem to be the case) or the 10% points rebate, it seems kind of silly to close (or even downgrade) a card that only costs $49 a year... If they decide to get another IHG credit card in the future, they'd lose out on the annual points rebate AND pay a higher annual fee.

OP, don't forget that your points will expire 12 months after you lose status.
I'll second this comment. For $49 per year, you'll get a free night at any IHG property at 40K or lower. Select cardholders can also get the new Premier, and the 10% rebate from the Select combines with the fourth night free on the Premier. I took advantage of this in August in California and will do so again in December in Orlando.

If you intend to stay within the IHG ecosystem, keeping this card is wise. Of course, if the program no longer holds value for you or you want to free a credit line for another card, then I understand canceling the card.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Are there any Intercontinental Hotels that are 40k a night?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:24 am

Are there any Intercontinental Hotels that are 40k a night?
Yes, but they’re generally in Central/south America or SE Asia.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BaconSF

Yes, but they’re generally in Central/south America or SE Asia.
This is why I am choosing to close.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is why I am choosing to close.
You know you'll lose the 10% back or IHG point redemptions? That's only available with $49 card, not with the new card.

So you only stay at IC hotels? What about in cities that don't have IC hotels?
Tennen likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

I stay at different Hotels; Marriott, Hilton even Best Western. But I got this card specifically for Intercontinental Hotels.

Got a couple months to think about it anyways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.