Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Kimpton Monaco or Palomar in Philadelphia?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Hello. I tried to find this anywhere and somewhere, but of course I'm here asking this: Which is better in Phila - the Kimpton Monaco or the Kimpton Palomar?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:17 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
The rooms at the Palomar are larger and I've had better upgrades in general versus the Monaco. The Monaco is across the street from Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell while the Palomar is near Rittenhouse Square and all of the great restaurants. The decor at the Monaco is a little fresher. Both are great properties with good elite recognition.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:34 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Anyone comment on
Bed comfort @ Philly Palomar soft medium or hard? Deciding between this and Hilton Curio
Thanks
Old Nov 10, 2018, 3:44 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
As I recall, somewhere in the Medium to Hard range. Kimpton’s have never struck me as having soft mattresses.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
As I recall, somewhere in the Medium to Hard range. Kimpton’s have never struck me as having soft mattresses.
sounds about right I did La Peer recently and it was medium to firm but overall fair enough
Thank You!
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:11 am

Will be taking our baby (who will be ~13 months at the time) on her first real trip and were thinking of starting local with a trip to Philly. I've got some free night certs and reward points to spend and am considering one of the two Kimptons. Availability is pretty standard in the spring for the two, though some dates there's little availability period. Anyway, point of the trip will be to sightsee (historical part obviously super close to Monaco) enjoy some nice meals (if possible!) go to the Please Touch Museum, walk around, etc.

I'm thinking the Monaco is the choice, as the area near Rittenhouse Square seems to be more for restaurants, bars, shopping, but was hoping to get clarity, especially with respect to the properties themselves. Thanks in advance
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
I like the Monaco. Similar rooms, similar recognition, better location at the Monica. Also Red Owl is a great bar and really good restaurant. The location of the Palomar works great for the Art Museum but the Square 1682 restaurant and rooms are not quite as nice.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by puck021
I like the Monaco. Similar rooms, similar recognition, better location at the Monica. Also Red Owl is a great bar and really good restaurant. The location of the Palomar works great for the Art Museum but the Square 1682 restaurant and rooms are not quite as nice.
Thanks! Will book the Monaco. Thoughts on getting an upgrade on a reward stay if I ask to pay for it?
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Wanderer22
Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia

What is your Rewards Club status? Spire Elite, Royal Ambassador and Inner Circle

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay? Yes (and I've stayed there many times)

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive? Booked Spa King room and received Cityview King Spa room

How are the rooms? Room is comfortable size with bed, dresser, full size closet, ample desk and small sofa. Bathroom has small vanity but large wet room with spa tub and shower.

[if you are Spire]
How was your complimentary welcome amenity? Bottle of white wine, bottles of water, bowl of fresh popcorn (truffle popcorn is their signature wine hour snack) and a plate of homemade pretzel bites and a box of four chocolates.

Did you raid the minibar? If so, what did you take? Did not raid.

Were you offered a Chef's Taste at Dinner, If so, what did you receive? N/A

Did you use the free spa credit / did the hotel participate? If so, was it a good value? N/A

What was good and what was bad? Staff is so friendly. Rittenhouse area is full of shops and restaurants. Museums not far-including Barnes and Franklin Institute. Starting to show some wear and some of the rooms can be small.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return? Can be a great value but can also be very expensive at peak times. Will return.
Thanks for the review. The “upgrade” seems pretty sad, though. Was it busy/sold out or is this property now one of the ones who upgrade Inner Circles only a step or two? (Like the Allegro in Chicago or La Peer in West Hollywood)
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:43 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Ambassador, Inner Circle; Marriott/SPG Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Graf von B
Thanks for the review. The “upgrade” seems pretty sad, though. Was it busy/sold out or is this property now one of the ones who upgrade Inner Circles only a step or two? (Like the Allegro in Chicago or La Peer in West Hollywood)
Upgrades can vary but are often only one step up. They only other upgrade for my current stay would have been the one bedroom suite and frankly the bedroom seems small in those. The closet is in the living room and the bathroom is off the living room not the bedroom. But it is a good size bathroom. I find both Kimpton hotels in Philadelphia to be “tight” with upgrades.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Wanderer22
Upgrades can vary but are often only one step up. They only other upgrade for my current stay would have been the one bedroom suite and frankly the bedroom seems small in those. The closet is in the living room and the bathroom is off the living room not the bedroom. But it is a good size bathroom. I find both Kimpton hotels in Philadelphia to be “tight” with upgrades.
+1. The Cityview Spa King is a better room than the one bedroom. I however have had good luck with upgrades at the Monaco more than one category. That hotel however frequently sells out of suites and even the Spa King rooms.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:08 pm

The Monaco in Philly has given me very generous upgrades in the past!
Old Mar 2, 2021, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by puck021
+1. The Cityview Spa King is a better room than the one bedroom. I however have had good luck with upgrades at the Monaco more than one category. That hotel however frequently sells out of suites and even the Spa King rooms.
I've had some stays at the Palomar under COVID. Each time upgraded to a city view spa King, but they are not all the same. There are different layouts on different floors. Great hotel, service and location in any case.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Why do people say that the Kimptons are better than Hyatt in Philadelphia? I have both Globalist status and IHG Diamond, so the main tangible difference is free parking with Hyatt.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 5:46 am

What about breakfast dining quality and fitness centers Centric vs Kimptons In Philly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.