Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Spire ambassador - restrictions on redemption and poor customer service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spire ambassador - restrictions on redemption and poor customer service

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG SPIRE AMBASSIDOR
Exclamation Spire ambassador - restrictions on redemption and poor customer service

I am been Spire Ambassador Member for since 2011. But recently I have had a very poor experience from IHG rewards club management. I will briefly explain it here. I have accumulated around 6,000,000 points in my account for the last 7 years. I used to redeem them for gift vouchers and reward tickets occasionally. But during the last couple of months I have noticed that as soon a I redeem a gift voucher for a specific retailer , the very next day that retailer is removed from the list of redemption option from my country (Qatar). Around four retailers were removed from the list for Qatar they include Toys-r -us , baby-r-us , IQ sports and all E-gift voucher options. when I contacted the customer service enquiring about the decision to remove they said they have every right to do so.So I decided to use to points for other countries since the my countries options are being limited then again after the very first redemption they blocked the option for redemption for other countries (Gift voucher).Then I was only left with the option for using the points for purchasing airline tickets through IHG's flightanywhere website. The real problem started from here..... first couple of tickets were ok but as soon as the other tickets were purchased ........the fightanywhere together with the knowledge of IHG purposefully started cancelling ticket without informing me and one the same day of the travel. When I contacted the customer service of IHG they very calmly denied that the ticket is cancelled but airline did not allow to board and again I contacted IHG customer service and they transferred me to flightanyware call center who informed me that the ticket was cancelled as per the instruction of IHG so again I transferred back to IHG customer agent who again told me contact flightanywhere team . Now I was on the phone for more than 45 minutes with the issue. After much frustration I have to hang up and decided to book another ticket but again it was also cancelled without informing me and again same old story when I contacted IHG customer call center , IHG clamming flightaware cancelled the ticket and flightaware claiming IHG instructed them to do and again I dump enough to call customer call center to hear the same story. My question here is this....... What can I do against such poor behavior from IHG who is trying very hard to restrict me from using the points. How far do you think IHG is going to go to stop me from using the points. WHAT DO YOU THINK I SHOULD DO NEXT.............................................. ................
Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by heshkbh
I am been Spire Ambassador Member for since 2011. But recently I have had a very poor experience from IHG rewards club management. I will briefly explain it here. I have accumulated around 6,000,000 points in my account for the last 7 years. .................................................. ............
Sorry to drift away from your question, but how on earth did you accumulate 6 million points?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:55 am

Programs: AA EXP IC AMBASSADOR/DIAMOND Tk/ELITE (*G), JumeirahONE Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Sorry to drift away from your question, but how on earth did you accumulate 6 million points?
I also wonder how are you not a royal ambassador with that level of spend as I assume there is quite a lot of spend in Intercontinental hotels?

Options to use the points

Redeem points for purchases/values is generally poor value. I d suggest instead the following

Long holidays in 70k resorts.

transfer the points to an Airline. You should get more than 1 million American Airlines if my maths are correct.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
WHAT DO YOU THINK I SHOULD DO NEXT.............................................. ................
Re-write your post using paragraphs and spacing so we can actually understand what's going on.

Is there any reason why you don't spend your hotel points on free hotel nights like the rest of us? The way you try to spend points raises a lot of red flags about fraud. Now maybe you travel a lot for work and the last thing you want to do on holiday is stay at another Intercontinental, but receiving such a poor value return for your points is often seen as a sign of somebody who isn't actually using their own legitimately-earned points...
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:17 am
Original Poster

like i said in the email ..... i am been the member from 2011 onwards...the restrictions put on my account limited me from using the points
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:19 am
Original Poster

your are correct but my countries national airlines qatar airways (ELECTED AS BEST AIRLINE IN WORLD TWICE) ...............is not included in the list of airlines for transferring points to miles
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:29 am
Original Poster

my hotel reservations require special rooms and special requirements which can only done in person with the hotel so using points to stay has lot limitation so i opt not book rooms or holidays using points... I had already tried pasting it with paragraph but as soon as i click post button , all paragraphs merger together ..... Even if IHG flags some transaction as fraud , don't they the courtesy to check with the customer before cancelling anything. Also , dont the user of the account has the right to use the points as he/she wish's.....
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Since Toys-R-Us/Babies-R-Us is out of business, I would hope that IHG would not be offering their gift cards as redemption options.
beachmouse likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I am been Spire Ambassador Member for since 2011. ........................
Spire since 2011? Really?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire Ambassador; AA Exec Plat; UA Silver
I am been Spire Ambassador Member for since 2011...
Spire didn't exist prior to 2015.
tentseller and dw like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.