Wiki Posts
Search

Holiday Inn Grand Cayman

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,AA, WN
Holiday Inn Grand Cayman

Planning a stay at this hotel, any recommendations on things to do and transportation options for getting around.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Bump, also looking at this hotel, thoughts??
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:58 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=Hawkeyefan;30201879]Bump, also looking at this hotel, thoughts??[/QUOT

Looking more like a car rental will be needed. Have you researched transportation options?
Old Sep 15, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
I've read many reviews on this property and am on the fence. Mid-October trip to Grand Cayman. They have a local shuttle, but to get from the airport you'd need to take a taxi. I have booked a Hertz car for $100/week (through the IHG link when you book a room). The hotel also frequently mentions renovations are coming this fall. I contacted the resort to ask if the pool and restaurant will be open on my dates and they replied yes. Since the place is described as being a bit remote, with no beach, I'd not be happy to arrive and find those two things closed. Trip is 7 nights total, I have 4 nights booked at the Kimpton Seafire. Still deciding if I should take a chance on this place, or stay the last 3 nights at Marriott or a condo on 7 Mile Beach.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=Steph58;30206994]I've read many reviews on this property and am on the fence. Mid-October trip to Grand Cayman. They have a local shuttle, but to get from the airport you'd need to take a taxi. I have booked a Hertz car for $100/week (through the IHG link when you book a room). The hotel also frequently mentions renovations are coming this fall. I contacted the resort to ask if the pool and restaurant will be open on my dates and they replied yes. Since the place is described as being a bit remote, with no beach, I'd not be happy to arrive and find those two things closed. Trip is 7 nights total, I have 4 nights booked at the Kimpton Seafire. Still deciding if I should take a chance on this place, or stay the last 3 nights at Marriott or a condo on 7 Mile Beach.[/QUOT

You trip sounds very much like ours, coming in mid Oct. for few nights then Chase reward nights at Seafire. Seafire sounds nice.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:27 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by Steph58
I have booked a Hertz car for $100/week (through the IHG link when you book a room).
Please see the following thread for information related to Hertz in GCM (including a 15% discount code):
Hertz from Hades - Grand Cayman (Now Under New Management)
Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Visited, Didn't Stay

I ended up not staying at the HI Resort but I was curious. We had a car and free time. It's exactly as I visualized except the drive in is through some very exclusive multi-million dollar homes with yachts docked in front. No beach, no beach swimming, but ocean view if you get a good room. Sand is kind of dirt like. Nice large pool. They let me tour a king 1 bedroom suite with kitchen on the ground floor. It was adequate. They've been mentioning a refurbishment fall of 2018 on the IHG web site; now they say in 2019. Not very many customers. It's the kind of place you go if you want peace and quiet--bring lots of books/reading material. The shuttle goes hourly with about 5 set stops, one of which is to the beach at Calico Jacks which is right next to the Kimpton. During October, at least, it's a good value for Grand Cayman. Honestly I'm kind of surprised it's surviving but maybe it's busier other months. I wouldn't stay there without a car, the restaurant would get old after a meal or two (I would think). The drive to 7 mile Beach isn't that bad.

Regarding Hertz, my $85 weekly rate turned into $198. I got nervous and purchased liability insurance. On flight home noticed receipt listed window and tire damage coverage at $3/day. No mention or agreement for that (tires were bald). Driving here is not a piece of cake, but is okay with a driver and a navigator. Phone GPS worked fine. The worst driving area is in/out of the airport and Georgetown. The Cayman resident drivers are very aggressive (nicest word to use). We did see a few accidents. GPS said 8 minutes to hotel, we eventually got there in 24. Poured rain for about 5 minutes while trying to navigate to the Hwy. Maybe people who are used to roundabouts would find it easier.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
It's a budget place on the wrong side of the island vs. Seven Mile Beach. I stayed there a few years ago over a MLK weekend as it was still 25k/night and the food festival was taking up most of the seven mile beach locations. 1BR units are large and comfortable for 1-2 people, with a marginal view, I'd request a room not on the ground floor. There was a team in town for a CONCACAF volleyball tournament when I was staying there. I think you definitely need a car to get around.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Just returned from a stay here. Most comments above I found to be true. Relaxing, shuttle service is good, but may need to take taxi back if returning after 7:00 PM. Local bus’s will get close to a hotel on 7 Mile Beach, then cab it from there. Found the one bed suite very comfortable and wash/dryer came in handy. Would return if on a budget, great value for points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.