Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

IHG promotion: double points and accelerator (Sep 16 - Dec 31 [extended from Dec 16])

IHG promotion: double points and accelerator (Sep 16 - Dec 31 [extended from Dec 16])

Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for confirming - I have a bunch of upcoming travel, but not enough to fully satisfy the 2nd Night task and earn 15K points from that one. Based on the feedback, I've cancelled stays where I was going out of my way to stay at IHG properties instead of my usual Hiltons.

I wonder if it's just the usually poorly conceived and/or worded IHG promo, or something more nefarious on their part
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:10 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by OskiBear
Thanks for confirming - I have a bunch of upcoming travel, but not enough to fully satisfy the 2nd Night task and earn 15K points from that one. Based on the feedback, I've cancelled stays where I was going out of my way to stay at IHG properties instead of my usual Hiltons.

I wonder if it's just the usually poorly conceived and/or worded IHG promo, or something more nefarious on their part
Yup, in my estimation, it would at least take additional $1300 in stay spend to complete getting the additional points to reach 15K points in the first threshold which would satisfy the achievement bonus!

Again, not worth it if you doing mattress run!
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
I don’t have any kind of achievement bonus, which suits me because I always miss out on it, because they insist on targeting me with two night weekend stays.

So I will just complete two tasks;

Stay at 4 brands for 35,200
Stay at 3 Holiday Inns for 9,600

Anything extra in double points along the way I’ll take, but after I’ve completed those two I’m done.

I’d rather earn double Hilton Points all day long, rather than double IHG Points.
So that’s exactly what I’ll be doing, anything else will probably go in the direction of Marriott/ SPG unless I absolutely have to use IHG.

I’m awash with IHG Points and have resorted to converting into Amazon vouchers to use up.

Every time I try and book an IHG redemption I get “No reward nights available”,
if there is availability I know I’m going to get hit with a charge for breakfast for 2 people, which I don’t get at Hilton!
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Total spent $435.55
to get 46,320 points
$435 seems like an awful lot of money for 4 nights if it was only for mattress run purposes, even if your 4 nights would have triggered the achievement bonus.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:35 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by r0me0

$435 seems like an awful lot of money for 4 nights if it was only for mattress run purposes, even if your 4 nights would have triggered the achievement bonus.
I agree - It was actually 50,767 if we include the CC spend. But these were the requirements, or the requirements after they change the goal post in mid game. These were the cheapest rates for bonus points package stays in my area. It wouldn't been so bad if they gave the reminder of the points 15,000 + 34,600 = 49,600 IHG points or 0.43 cents per point.
15,000 Double Your Stay Earn double points on every stay, starting with your second stay, up to 15,000 bonus points. 14% In Progress BOOK NOW
16,000 Discover Our Brands Stay at 2 brands and get 16,000 bonus points. Completed
12,000 Saturday Stays Bonus Stay 2 weekend(s), including a Saturday night and another night, and earn 12,000 bonus points. Completed
6,600 Earn More, Faster Earn 6,600 bonus points when you book 2 Bonus Points Package stay(s) and get to your next reward faster. Completed
34,600 Your Achievement Bonus Complete 4 of the 4 offers and earn (an additional) 34,600 bonus points. 75% In Progress BOOK NOW
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by adobbing
I don’t have any kind of achievement bonus, which suits me because I always miss out on it, because they insist on targeting me with two night weekend stays.

So I will just complete two tasks;

Stay at 4 brands for 35,200
Stay at 3 Holiday Inns for 9,600

Anything extra in double points along the way I’ll take, but after I’ve completed those two I’m done.

I’d rather earn double Hilton Points all day long, rather than double IHG Points.
So that’s exactly what I’ll be doing, anything else will probably go in the direction of Marriott/ SPG unless I absolutely have to use IHG.

I’m awash with IHG Points and have resorted to converting into Amazon vouchers to use up.

Every time I try and book an IHG redemption I get “No reward nights available”,
if there is availability I know I’m going to get hit with a charge for breakfast for 2 people, which I don’t get at Hilton!
Very similar here. No achievement bonus this time which suits me although my brand requirement is for five brands so even that is looking unlikely. I was hoping for either the SBS Dundee or one of the Kimptons to be open up here before the end of the year but it is looking unlikely. My one night at SBS Birmingham seems to pushed it to five.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:13 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Yes, I imagine next time the brand requirement will increase again for me, we’ll see.

i just wish they’d stop targeting me for paid 2 night weekend stays, I’m really unlikely to ever do that!

i’d hope that by reducing my participation the targets would also reduce!
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:44 pm

Funny thing about this one.... I have moved most of my stays to Hilton over the last 2 years, but I still use IHG properties where they make sense for me geographically. This week I had a trip to a customer in Kentucky, and the nearest Hilton property was about 12 miles away. There is a HIX a mile or so away, and a Staybridge about 1/4 mile.

My promo is really simple this time - just two things. Stay at 3 brands, and the "Double points up to 15k" one. I would normally go with the HIX, but I already have an HI and an HIX stay during the promotion. So I booked the Staybridge, for about 2/3 the cost of the HIX.

So because of the promo, I am going to spend less money with IHG *and* earn almost 29k bonus points for completing the task. I'm sure that makes sense to somebody, somewhere....
Kalboz likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:38 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
I'm sure that makes sense to somebody, somewhere....
You can't have a promo that perfectly targets every use case. You could make promo rules more complex so that there are fewer customers who may exploit it. But even than, the seller is setting up a promo under limited information (-> IHG didn't know you were going to book them anyhow) so some buyers may get a windfall profit out of the promo.

In other words, there's really nothing to see here. It just like sending customers who haven't booked for a while a $20 rebate coupon. Some customers which would have booked anyhow at the non-rebated price now can apply the coupon and receive a $20 windfall profit. However, that's okay, if the coupon incentivizes enough customers who wouldn't have booked without the rebate to make a booking.

Besides, there's also a longer-term marketing perspective to this. IHG wants you to try out several of their brands. It hopes you end up liking some of them, so that you keep booking those brands even if there is no promo running.

Last edited by 1flyer; Oct 9, 2018 at 1:51 am
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
These appear to be the offers that only show up when the page is print previewed. If so, it is likely you will not get any points for them. If these actually show up on the web page, I have no idea what the conflicting language will result in for you.
If it is like previous promotions, I believe the "hidden" offers will get unlocked once the primary offer is completed (the doubling up to 15K) or perhaps when the "complete X of Y offers" is triggered -- and then you get additional offers, one by one.

I may be wrong about this but seems like the targets and points for these "other" offers differ from person to person, so it would make sense that these are queued up for future..
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
I checked this thread as I also have the dbl pts up to 15k and need 4/4 for the bonus. I have clocked 2 stays for 3 nights in total and it's showing 20% in my case with the bonus triggered once for about 3500 pts. Do we have official word from IHG that they meant to collect the full 15k to complete the task? Very poor wording in this case; I simply understood that the double pts had to be triggered and not the the max amount had to have been collected.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by wobbly wings
I checked this thread as I also have the dbl pts up to 15k and need 4/4 for the bonus. I have clocked 2 stays for 3 nights in total and it's showing 20% in my case with the bonus triggered once for about 3500 pts. Do we have official word from IHG that they meant to collect the full 15k to complete the task? Very poor wording in this case; I simply understood that the double pts had to be triggered and not the the max amount had to have been collected.
I'm curious - do you have a "complete all tasks" bonus? If so, it would seem logical that you would need to collect the whole 15k (maybe 'logical' is a strong word, but logical in context). In my case, I don't have a bonus like that. My only items are "stay in 3 brands for 28.8k" and "double points up to 15k", so my max would be 43,800 points I will hit my 3 brands as soon as my current stay posts, but I don't know if I will have enough other stays this year to get all of the double points.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
I'm curious - do you have a "complete all tasks" bonus? If so, it would seem logical that you would need to collect the whole 15k (maybe 'logical' is a strong word, but logical in context). In my case, I don't have a bonus like that. My only items are "stay in 3 brands for 28.8k" and "double points up to 15k", so my max would be 43,800 points I will hit my 3 brands as soon as my current stay posts, but I don't know if I will have enough other stays this year to get all of the double points.
It says "Double Your Stay. Earn double points on every stay, starting with your second stay, up to 15,000 bonus points." In the details it does not say it's completed only if you get all the 15k points. The way I read it was that as long as you doubled the points on a single stay ("double your stay"), the task should be complete and that, in addition to that, you could get further pts up to 15k.
Edited: yes, I have a complete all task bonus. It's 4/4 so needs to include that one.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
One nice thing about this challenge is that the stays seem to be posting pretty quickly.

I had about 7500 bonus points from last week and my 15,000 bonus point task is showing 50% completed. So, that sure smells like you will need all 15,000 points for the task to complete.

So, I have another 7500 points and another weekend stay to go. Already hotel hopped to get my '5 different brands' and easily did the '2 app bookings'. That will be my '4 of 4'.

I should get about 180,000 points from all that, plus 15,000 spire elite points, plus 15,000 ihg credit card points, if I can get this done.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by vsevolod4
If it is like previous promotions, I believe the "hidden" offers will get unlocked once the primary offer is completed (the doubling up to 15K) or perhaps when the "complete X of Y offers" is triggered -- and then you get additional offers, one by one.

I may be wrong about this but seems like the targets and points for these "other" offers differ from person to person, so it would make sense that these are queued up for future..
I don't recall this ever happening before without the "unlock" feature being an advertised part of the promotion. If that is the case here, it doesn't make much sense because it won't drive guests' behavior since we don't know about it. Also, I would expect some reports of these unlocked offers being honored on this site by now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.