Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Upgrade and Amenities in Hotels (split of from CHIANG MAI Holiday Inn Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

The website of the property now says free wireless internet for all guests.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Aug 24, 2018 at 3:55 am
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam1222
The website of the property now says free wireless internet for all guests.
isn't that more and more standard in Holiday Inns
so another benefit lost for premium card holders as everybody gets it
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by BinSabai
isn't that more and more standard in Holiday Inns
so another benefit lost for premium card holders as everybody gets it

I was responding to posts which suggested that wasnt the case and some lack of clarity as to which rooms had it. But free internet for all IHG members has been the brand standard for more than 4 years now and has nothing to do with "premium cards". It's the same with all the big chains now, so not sure what the rant is about.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
I was responding to posts which suggested that wasnt the case and some lack of clarity as to which rooms had it. But free internet for all IHG members has been the brand standard for more than 4 years now and has nothing to do with "premium cards". It's the same with all the big chains now, so not sure what the rant is about.
sure, but that's exactly what is Happening, that small benefits given to premium is now given to everybody and a bit more valuable benefits (like lounge Access) are not given any more
Status at IHG is more and more useless
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
sure, but that's exactly what is Happening, that small benefits given to premium is now given to everybody and a bit more valuable benefits (like lounge Access) are not given any more
Status at IHG is more and more useless

Internet access has for a long time been free to anyone who signed up to Priority Club, a simple process open to all.

It's true that Elite benefits often don't extend beyond a bottle of water plus the "drink or points?" offer. But I don't see any of these being showered on those unfortunates free of status
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:10 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Internet access has for a long time been free to anyone who signed up to Priority Club, a simple process open to all.

It's true that Elite benefits often don't extend beyond a bottle of water plus the "drink or points?" offer. But I don't see any of these being showered on those unfortunates free of status
true.

We will will be staying here again in November so I will report anything new!
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:24 pm

for a long time yes, but not when I joined and I had to get a higher status first to enjoy free Internet!

this hotel always gave me in the past an upgrade to a Suite for Platinum status, but never to executive floor or lounge access
but 2 years ago they changed and they give now the typical FAKE-upgrade

FAKE uprades is so typical for IHG group: they create additional "artificial" room categories and claim you are upgraded...but the room is not much different, Maybe one sqm larger, or king size instead of twin etc.
completely useless as is premium status in this group
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

completely useless as is premium status in this group
I'd largely agree, though there are still quite a number of of hotels, mainly in Asia, which go beyond the minimum brand standard of awards.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:09 am

I'd largely agree, though there are still quite a number of of hotels, mainly in Asia, which go beyond the minimum brand standard of awards.
and the minimum brand standard is….zero?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and the minimum brand standard is….zero?
I think the minimum brand standard involves water, a token upgrade and either a free drink or a handful of points.

Which is pretty close to zero, certainly not much of a goal to aim for.

The hotels that make the programme worthwhile are the few that break out of the constraints of brand standard and offer more meaningful rewards.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:51 am

I think the minimum brand standard involves water, a token upgrade and either a free drink or a handful of points.
Which is pretty close to zero, certainly not much of a goal to aim for.
The hotels that make the programme worthwhile are the few that break out of the constraints of brand standard and offer more meaningful rewards.
most hotels in Asia offer free bottles of drinking water to ALL guests (exception Singapore and Japan), so not really a benefit
the upgrades are often FAKE upgrades (to a category that differentiates not much from the booked category)
free drinks: more and more are excluding alcohol...
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
stayed here last night for one night as spire got suite which is ok .asked about club "this hotel does not upgrade spire to club"
maybe if they did they would have more people staying.
lots of competition here.
wanted to check out few hotels for a friend having a wedding looks like this one is out!
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by aussielori
stayed here last night for one night as spire got suite which is ok .asked about club "this hotel does not upgrade spire to club"
maybe if they did they would have more people staying.
lots of competition here.
wanted to check out few hotels for a friend having a wedding looks like this one is out!
Competition? yes but not so much options if you are member of the worldwide largest hotel chains and want to collect points also in Chiang Mai
it's the only IHG property in the whole area
beside that there are Shangri'La and Le Meridien, which are both at a lower level than somewhere else
the Accor properties are rather inferior (Mercure and Ibis) and at bad Locations
others are far away from the city
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
IHG elites used to get foc lounge access in Thailand, then all IHG Thailand hotels seemed to stop the free access at the same time a few years ago, eg CP Bangkok.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by scubaccr
IHG elites used to get foc lounge access in Thailand, then all IHG Thailand hotels seemed to stop the free access at the same time a few years ago, eg CP Bangkok.
CP Bangkok I know quite a bit and they also lie to you and play games with their most loyal guests
several years ago you had lounge access on standard room
then they refused and told you, that you need to book at least one level below executive rooms to get lounge Access
next time when you booked a more expensive room just below executive room they told you that they never had this policy and refuse lounge access again

CP Bangkok never again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.