Best Holiday Inn in London

Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska, krisflyer
Best Holiday Inn in London

Hi all,

Im planning a trip to london next yr (end Jan to 1st week of feb). 2 Adults and 1 child. Prefer for child to have his own bed. Location preferably near to a tube.
I also have a preference for west side or central london (within zone 1).

Question that I have is.. There are now quite a few Holiday Inns around. Can I check if there are any newest one or nicest one that would fit the criteria of being near the tube and somewhere central or west side of london within Zone 1 that we should consider?

Cheers!
Wong Shi Wei
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
While certainly not new, the location of the Holiday Inn Mayfair is in my opinion unmatched (as far as HI options go) for a London visit. It's location at the Green Park Tube station affords easy access to/from LHR on the Piccadilly Line and also two other Tube lines for exploring the city (Jubilee and Victoria). The rooms are in need of a refresh but for me it's a fair trade for the prime location. Breakfast is good as well (kids eat free).

And, WELCOME to FlyerTalk lamshiwei!
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:20 am

If Crowne Plaza is an option, consider CP The City. Very good hotel, right opposite Blackfriars Station.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: Oneworld, Avios and IHG Spire Ambassador
HI Mayfair is a great location as has already been said but I agree it's very tired looking and needs a facelift.

HI Kensington Forum is reasonably priced and meets your requirements.

My first pick is always CP London The City if I'm in London for leisure, great hotel and brilliant location
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
2 Queen beds in a room (or even a rollaway) is going to be a bigger challenge than finding the "best" Holiday Inn.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:11 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Would the location of the Staybridge Vauxhall work for you? I want to say the couch folds out into a bed in the one bedroom suite, and if the child is on a different sleep schedule than the parents, there's something to be said for being able to have the lights on in one room but not the other.

The Staybridges offer large rooms by European standards, generally a reasonable price (breakfast included) by London standards, and can be a good option if the location works and you're okay with a lighter housekeeping schedule.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska, krisflyer
Guys! Thanks much for all this info! Been lurking for awhile now and have uses the forum for guides on award searches, etc. But this is the first time im actually asking a question.

So, I would very much like to say a big thanks to all you awesome peeps for the suggestions!

On the question, I was indeed looking at mayfair. But noted that its abit tired. Bloomsbury looks like an interesting choice too, as is CP the city. Will check those out!

Cheers!
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by craigthemif
2 Queen beds in a room (or even a rollaway) is going to be a bigger challenge than finding the "best" Holiday Inn.
The Crowne Plaza Kensington has rooms with 2 double beds and is just opposite the Tube station. I prefer it to the HI Kensignton Forum
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:36 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Don't forget the Holiday Inn at Oxford Circus too. Is another great location being just 5 minutes walk to the central part of Oxford Street and Bond Street Station.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Camflyer
The Crowne Plaza Kensington has rooms with 2 double beds and is just opposite the Tube station. I prefer it to the HI Kensignton Forum
I would be concerned for the mental health of anyone who thought otherwise!

Holiday Inn Camden Lock sometimes puts rooms with 2 beds up for reward nights. For a tourist this a pretty decent place to stay with loads going on at the market which is literally 30 seconds away.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Raffles
I would be concerned for the mental health of anyone who thought otherwise!

Holiday Inn Camden Lock sometimes puts rooms with 2 beds up for reward nights. For a tourist this a pretty decent place to stay with loads going on at the market which is literally 30 seconds away.
I've just got a bit of a hatred of the HI Kensington Forum after spending far too many nights there with work conferences and meetings. For a few years it was was our default hotel in London as it was so big that it always had availability and was easy for people flying in to get to from Heathrow.

Yes, I really like the HI Camden Lock for its location. I just didn't mention it as it's not in Zone 1, not really west London and the Camden Tube station can be a pain. It also might be a little too "lively" if travelling with a small child.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: DL Silver, NZ, VS, HH, IHG Gold, Marriott, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Iamshiwei
Hi all,

Im planning a trip to london next yr (end Jan to 1st week of feb). 2 Adults and 1 child. Prefer for child to have his own bed. Location preferably near to a tube.
I also have a preference for west side or central london (within zone 1).

Question that I have is.. There are now quite a few Holiday Inns around. Can I check if there are any newest one or nicest one that would fit the criteria of being near the tube and somewhere central or west side of london within Zone 1 that we should consider?

Cheers!
Wong Shi Wei
Standard rooms in London are often very small. Check the sizes on the hotel websites!

Of the IHG properties I've stayed at in Central London:

HI Kensington High Street meets your requirements. Just don't eat there!

Crowne Plaza London - Kensington is nicer but more expensive.

HI London Bloomsbury might look good on the web but I would avoid the standard room with a double bed and sleeper sofa. It is very small. Great location but not enough room.

Indigo Leicester Square won't work for a family. They do offer a small rollaway bed for a child but the bath rooms don't have enough privacy. Too bad as this hotel is less than six months old.

Indigo Tower Hill - Wrong location

Indigo London Kensington Possibly is too far west on the border of Zone 2. I don't know if they have any rooms suitable for 2 + 1.

I've got an upcoming stay at HI London Kensington Forum. I'll try to remember to post something in this thread after I've stayed there.
dagangwood likes this.

Last edited by AndrewAndDebbie; Aug 18, 2018 at 2:15 pm Reason: Fix a typo
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:24 am

Strongly recommend Crowne Plaza City; straight across the road from Blackfriars station/tube station. Family rooms are a good size, very clean and comfortable and have 2 double beds. Club lounge has been recently revamped and does a good breakfast, evening canapes and free drinks/snacks at various times (breakfast is 5 extra per person to eat at the main hotel buffet)
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver
Holiday Inn Kensington is just a few minutes walk from Gloucester Rd tube station (Picadilly line direct to and from Heathrow). Opposite this hotel is Ibis Styles which is also a good choice - being very cheap.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by TeflonMan
If Crowne Plaza is an option, consider CP The City. Very good hotel, right opposite Blackfriars Station.
i second that. As a Spire the upgraded me to a lounge room without even asking and I was able to get a reasonable pay-up to a suite (so that my niece could have the pullout in the living room and we had the bedroom.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.