Skip housekeeping for points

Old Aug 3, 18, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Skip housekeeping for points

I did that at HIX York PA while on a PB stay. Of course the points don't show up, contacted IHG and they said I need to contact the hotel.

Wrote an email through contact hotel option at the hotel's page at IHG.com and never got a reply. I forwarded my email to IHG and they said that hotel doesn't participate in the programme! There was a door tag and I also asked the front desk how it worked and she told me just hang the tag out and they will give me the points.

Seriously?! They think I made that up - I feel that I might need to take picture of everything to have proof later.
Old Aug 3, 18, 12:25 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Bonvoy, Choice, IHG
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
I did that at HIX York PA while on a PB stay. Of course the points don't show up, contacted IHG and they said I need to contact the hotel.

Wrote an email through contact hotel option at the hotel's page at IHG.com and never got a reply. I forwarded my email to IHG and they said that hotel doesn't participate in the programme! There was a door tag and I also asked the front desk how it worked and she told me just hang the tag out and they will give me the points.

Seriously?! They think I made that up - I feel that I might need to take picture of everything to have proof later.
Wow! Sorry that happened to you. I always take photos when I believe something might not credit right, etc. I hope they make it right.
Old Aug 3, 18, 12:41 pm

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
I've never had this post... even when specifically hanging a hotel provided note ("Please do not clean this room today! I will take the 500 points instead" in nicer wording) on the door.
I couldn't be bothered to follow up. With my stays being mostly Accelerate runs, it's not worth to fuss about 500 points.
Old Aug 4, 18, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Staley Cornell View Post
Wow! Sorry that happened to you. I always take photos when I believe something might not credit right, etc. I hope they make it right.
Well, they told me to call the hotel. I have already written to them. Marriott is definitely better about this.
Old Aug 4, 18, 12:23 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Staley Cornell View Post
plus only 1x cleaning points per stay even if you miss cleaning more times. hotels tend to avoid making that clear on ones longer stays
Old Aug 4, 18, 12:27 pm

Have participated in this program at least 15x at many IHG properties. In theory, the program is logical, promoting water-saving initiatives, and rewarding those who are orderly and don't hoard housekeeping services.

Unless staying 4+ days, I rarely request room service. Even then, it's a simple towel and garbage change. Usually bring my own toiletries that are superior to IHG offerings, thus hardly any requests for refills.

In practice, the program is a mirage, an illusion. Score it an epic failure at best. Though likely it's more of a scam, as IHG know even the most loyal don't wish to spend their free time calling Manila, then emailing the hotel hoping for a response to track down 500 points at each property.

Another question would be why cap it at 500 points (one night) per stay? If I'm staying 7 nights and decline room service for 6, it eats up significantly fewer IHG resources (staff, water, chemicals etc) as someone doing the inverse, yet IHG rewards the two identically. Tells me their heart isn't into the program at all, just doing the bare minimum, and failing at that.

Even when they started the 300/500/600 Welcome Bonus Points initiative, it took a couple years until they would post more than 50% of the time, largely thanks to guys like me who regularly complained to both IHG and the hotels themselves. Now I just kindly ask that they post at check-in.

IHG suddenly made the calculation was no longer worth all the aggravation and lost time on their end to deliberately ignore the paltry points that are worth $1.50 - $3.00 when buying IHG points with the 100% bonus.
Old Aug 4, 18, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

My welcome points for my stays in Japan haven't posted either, I guess IHG will tell me to contact the hotels directly to chase up the points (that's what they did not long ago).

I thought the green points is for every night you skip housekeeping - that's bad if you skip it for longer stays.
Old Aug 5, 18, 1:59 am

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
I hadn't noticed the initiative until a 3-night stay in a Europe HIX when I DND the whole time and the points posted automatically. More often I'd tempted to get room service to replenish the coffee and tea at the last day or so.
Old Aug 5, 18, 7:35 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, IHG Gold, SPG
I saw this at a hotel in Belgium. I put the notice outside the door as soon as I arrived in my room and it stayed outside my door for my entire stay (three nights). Nonetheless, they cleaned my room each night. I asked about the points at check-out and they said, "It doesn't apply in the summer." Go figure.
Old Aug 6, 18, 3:21 am
Original Poster

IHG can set how many times you can get the points - the fact is that if there's a door tag and I even confirmed with the front desk. How dare they said the hotel is not participating? I have only stayed at one HIX during that trip so it's not that I'm confused with another HIX or something like that.
Old Aug 8, 18, 12:53 am

I had the same experience with another HIX in the UK - no Points and the hotel does not reply
Old Aug 8, 18, 2:36 pm

Programs: IHG Spire for what its worth
I have had the points automatically several times at two different UK Holiday Inns.

In fact at one of the Holiday Inn at York I've had the points and got back to my room to find a carrier bag on the door handle with towel, toiletries and tea/coffee in it!

I always hang the door card but also turn on the option on the stay in the IHG Android App, maybe that makes the difference.
Old Aug 8, 18, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Could you please tell me where in the App has the green points option? I have used the app to book but have never seen something like that.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: