New York - What IHG Hotel to Stay At

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire Ambassador,
New York - What IHG Hotel to Stay At

Hi All,

First time poster in this board.
I've read a few posts in relation to NYC and the various hotels and would very much appreciate your thoughts and inputs as I'm getting lost in everything lol.
I will be visiting NY for the first time at he end of September for 5 nights. I am a Spire Elite with Ambassador status too.
I have a few free night certificates as well as the complementary certificate for when i enrolled for Ambassador earlier this year and do not mind purchasing a night in order to use this.

Could you advise what hotel do you think would be best?

Many thanks in advance.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by FDX Traveller
I am a Spire Elite with Ambassador status too. I have a few free night certificates as well as the complementary certificate for when i enrolled for Ambassador earlier this year and do not mind purchasing a night in order to use this.

Could you advise what hotel do you think would be best?
With your status, few free nights and Amb BOGO, I suggest the IC Barclay.
Blackjackburger likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond
the ambassador weekend night voucher is only valid at Intercontinentals. If you didn’t have that “restriction” my next pick would be the Hotel Indigo Lower East Side.
Blackjackburger likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: IHG spire ambassador, SPG/Marriott Gold(new plat), Virgin Atlantic
Originally Posted by Troopers
With your status, few free nights and Amb BOGO, I suggest the IC Barclay.
2nd that!

IMHO the Barclay is the nicest property, truly a classy property - think more on level of a true luxury hotel rather than a holiday inn with a few upgrades & good location like some other ICs can feel like. But, i should note i haven't stayed at all those new kimptons while I have had many many good stays at the Barclays so i might have some bias?

BTW for a first time visit to the city the location of Barclay a little over east side is probably a good thing rather than in the middle of times square where many other properties are, as the never-endingness of that place can be a bit much while near the location of Barclay one can actually find a little breathing room...

And, a warm welcome to flyertalk to the OP : )

Last edited by somedudefromFLa; Aug 2, 2018 at 7:46 pm
Old Aug 3, 2018, 1:01 am

Programs: LH SEN**, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I prefer the IC Times Square over the IC Barclay. The Sky View rooms have very nice views and are much less noisy, the regular rooms are bigger than at the Barclay, I also prefer the location (subway access very close to hotel entrance, nice restaurants/bars in Hells Kitchen, easier to access hotel from EWR and JFK airport by public transport). While service is not outstanding at the IC Times Square, I was always treated nicely as a Spire Ambassador (upgrade also on points or BOGO stays, room wishes with particular views granted), whereas my recent stays at the Barclay were really bad.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 2:39 am

If IC is a must, pick it based on location. Both are in Midtown, TS is lively and hectic 24/7. Barclay surroundings go quieter over the weekend as it is mainly a business area. I stay at Barclay if opting for an IC.
If IC isn't a must, then Indigo LES is in a great location if you want a younger crowd and happening area. Walking distance to all of lower Manhattan (LES, Soho, E+W Village, Chelsea and Down Town.
I must add though, Indigo is prone to a Tunnel & Bridge crowd.

Try Kimpton Ink48 if you can. Next on my list and a given without RA.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire Ambassador,
Hi Guys,

Many thanks for all your input.

One last question, is there club lounges ate either of the IC's and what are the requirements for entry?
Am i likely to have this included or will i be required to pay and do you think it would be worth the price.

Many thanks
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by FDX Traveller
Hi Guys,

Many thanks for all your input.

One last question, is there club lounges ate either of the IC's and what are the requirements for entry?
Am i likely to have this included or will i be required to pay and do you think it would be worth the price.

Many thanks
You do know that FT has a search function? The hotel Master Threads are also full of a wealth of knowledge AND you can even search within those specific threads too!

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1106027-ic-new-york-times-square-master-thread.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1759933-ic-barclay-new-york-master-thread.html

Last edited by christianj; Aug 10, 2018 at 7:09 am
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Oh well, that’s the end of that.

But I am curious to know what the Tunnel and Bridge crowd stands for. That is a completely new one for me.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:08 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by Concerto
But I am curious to know what the Tunnel and Bridge crowd stands for.
A small stab at the "armpit of America" whose inhabitants tend to come over to NYC on the weekends, get drunk, and generally misbehave?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by 1flyer
A small stab at the "armpit of America" whose inhabitants tend to come over to NYC on the weekends, get drunk, and generally misbehave?
That's certainly one interpretation

Though a milder version is that Bridge and Tunnel are simply commuters from outside the city, using bridges and tunnels for access - though without doubt the intimation of less sophisticated suburban folk creeps in

I've heard the term used in Boston, but seems there to have a more "manufactured" and much less derogatory feel to it.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I have stayed at both IC's in NYC and recently Hotel Eventi (all as a Spire Ambassadors). I have yet to find a property that "wowed" me and will probably try Ink 48 next, even though I already know the location will annoy me. Here is my summary of experiences:

Intercontinental Times Square
The most convenient location if you're just looking to arrive/depart from Penn Station and catch a Broadway show. However, the location is in the heart of NYC's tourist center; the people suck and the restaurants mostly suck, but it has some good subway accessibility. As far as the hotel itself goes, it was built to a modern luxurious standard in 2010, but showing signs of wear in 2018. The service is polished, but not stellar. It's a comfortable pop-in.

Intercontinental Barclay
If I was staying in NYC for longer than a night, it would be here. Grand Central Station is nearby (putting the whole city at your fingertips) while still being in a somewhat quiet area. It's an older hotel but the recently-renovated rooms are comfortable and still have that "classic Manhattan" vibe. The service isn't bad, but less polished than the IC Times Square. The immediate area may seem dead/corporate but it's less touristy, which leaves you less vulnerable to dining/nightlife landmines.

Hotel Eventi
They throw a lot of wine at you. The rooms are nice, and the service is efficient but generous; however, the overall experience is more "boutique" than "luxury". It's only a block or two from Penn Station, and there's a PATH stop right outside where you can zip to/from The Village almost instantly. There are a couple "real" subway stops nearby, but it's not one-stop-shop nor the quintessential experience that Grand Central is. The best bodega I've been to is across the street from it.

If you're not an Ambassador member, Hotel Eventi would probably be the most generous, as they seem eager to please. If you are an Ambassador member, the Intercontinentals are obligated to give you significant and well-defined perks, but otherwise, they have the "luxury hotel mentality" where everything comes at a cost.
xinerevelle likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:07 pm

Anyone have more updated input on favorite hotels in NYC? I don't stay at properties that charge resort/destination fees (not sure which, if any, IHG properties do this in NYC).
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I was about to spend my Chase cert on Hotel Indigo until I saw the $25 destination fee. Can anyone confirm whether Kimpton Eventi has this charge? It doesn't say yes in the booking process but want to make sure.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:56 pm

The Eventi does not charge a resort fee. Ink48 does, however.

I like the Ink48 and it would be my recommendation, even despite the resort fee. (If you’re Inner Circle, the fee is waived.) They are fairly generous with status upgrades and the hotel rooms are clean and pretty spacious especially by NY standards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.