Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 night limit using point breaks?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2014, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

2 night limit using point breaks?

Is this new? If they keep changing the rules it will be time to make a change.

Due to the limited availability, each member may only book two PointBreaksŪ Reward Nights reservations per hotel during the special offer time period. Offer and participating hotels are subject to change at any time, valid for booking through September 30, 2014. All other Reward Night terms and conditions apply. To view participating properties, simply click one of the regions below.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 6:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cincitime
Is this new? If they keep changing the rules it will be time to make a change.

Due to the limited availability, each member may only book two PointBreaksŪ Reward Nights reservations per hotel during the special offer time period. Offer and participating hotels are subject to change at any time, valid for booking through September 30, 2014. All other Reward Night terms and conditions apply. To view participating properties, simply click one of the regions below.
Well then, I guess it is time for you to change..................
Old Aug 21, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: DL reject, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Jelly of the Month, formerly NWA Plat (RIP)
The new restriction is 2 reservations per hotel, not 2 nights. There were those who gamed the system by booking multiple 1-night reservations to "hold" them until their travel plans were finalized and then cancelling the nights they were not going to use.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:10 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I have two data points on this rule during PB:

1) Booked 12 separate, individual bookings of 1 room for a get-together and the IHG booking engine let me do that. I even e-mailed the HI beforehand to verify that it is OK. They did not have anything against it (just reminded me that breakfast is not included). Stayed without problems.

2) Booked 5 separate, individual bookings of 1 room for another get-together and again the IHG engine let me do that. Another HI and we stayed happily (as I did not have points, I bought them on the 60% bonus campaign, so we saved a lot of €)

So it seems that despite the "max 2"-rule, the booking engine lets you make several reservations and at least these two HIs honored them

EDIT: I know I know... my account is still alive
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by FFlash
I have two data points on this rule during PB:

1) Booked 12 separate, individual bookings of 1 room for a get-together and the IHG booking engine let me do that. I even e-mailed the HI beforehand to verify that it is OK. They did not have anything against it (just reminded me that breakfast is not included). Stayed without problems.

2) Booked 5 separate, individual bookings of 1 room for another get-together and again the IHG engine let me do that. Another HI and we stayed happily (as I did not have points, I bought them on the 60% bonus campaign, so we saved a lot of €)

So it seems that despite the "max 2"-rule, the booking engine lets you make several reservations and at least these two HIs honored them

EDIT: I know I know... my account is still alive
More data points:

I have two PB stay booked at two different IC in Central America for 4 and 5 days respectively.

I just had a Staybridge booking of 6 suite for extended family in town over a weekend for a wedding/semi-reunion.

Let me check my account.

Still active for now.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tentseller
More data points:

I have two PB stay booked at two different IC in Central America for 4 and 5 days respectively.

I just had a Staybridge booking of 6 suite for extended family in town over a weekend for a wedding/semi-reunion.

Let me check my account.

Still active for now.
???

Read the stated rule carefully:
Due to the limited availability, each member may only book two PointBreaksŪ Reward Nights reservations per hotel during the special offer time period.
You just said each reservation was at a different hotel. That is completely within the stated rules!

The rules say nothing about how long each reservation can be. The rules saying about how many different hotels you can make the reservation for.

The rules were created because a few people were reserving a single hotel for every single night over two months, just because they didn't know which nights they actually wanted to go, and later were cancelling (or worse, reselling) the nights didn't need themselves.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cincitime
Is this new?
No. Look here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...n-changes.html
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by sdsearch
???

Read the stated rule carefully:
Due to the limited availability, each member may only book two PointBreaksŪ Reward Nights reservations per hotel during the special offer time period.
You just said each reservation was at a different hotel. That is completely within the stated rules!

The rules say nothing about how long each reservation can be. The rules saying about how many different hotels you can make the reservation for.

The rules were created because a few people were reserving a single hotel for every single night over two months, just because they didn't know which nights they actually wanted to go, and later were cancelling (or worse, reselling) the nights didn't need themselves.
I agree, Just sharing my experience of my interpretation of the rules that all three stays that I shared were all one reservation per hotel. The number of nights does not matter.

When you have a single points reservation for multiple night one needed to cancel and rebooked if there is any changes to arrival, departure or number of night.

There was an Asian base site which show how to game that by making multiple one night booking at PB rate of 5000 and then cancelling the one that you cannot barter for $$$. Same site also show how to churn IHG points.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
I haven't tried to go over the "2 reservation per property" limit yet, but keep in mind that for reward reservations, only 1 room is allowed per reservation, so if you want FIVE rooms (for x number of nights), you will need to make FIVE reservations...

I wonder if enforcement will be at the discretion of the hotel.

Also, knowing the horrible IHG IT system and customer service policy, it is entirely possible that they may try to claw regular reward night price for those reservation exceeding the 2 reservation, or worst, put a charge on our credit card for rack rate! (No report of such activities to date...)
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
A friend and I are traveling and our next destination has a PB rate this month so I've tried to max out the benefit to save a considerable amount of money for us both.

As others have noted the booking engine isn't programmed to stop booking more than two sets of rooms at a given property so not sure how this is policed. I had made a 4-night booking for two rooms (separately since you can only book one room at a time) for this week at the property and just done two more 2-night bookings for the same property for next week. (Waiting for my friend's purchased points to post so she can rebook the second set under her own account, then I'd cancel my bookings.)

Current rate at this property is $160 a night so purchasing 20K points at $250 for four nights saves $390 for the two sets of rooms for two nights and twice that for our 4-night stays!

-----------------

My friend's purchased points have now posted so have rebooked with those points and cancelled my own additional two bookings. However we have a friend joining us for this second stay at the same property and I have kept my (third) booking at this property and will see what happens. It's not possible to book at the regular points rate. Will post what happens when return to the property next week.

Last edited by Shareholder; Aug 26, 2014 at 7:48 am
Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: Bonny
App can book unlimited stays but someone said account will be disqualified/freezes if membership center take action😂😂

Really?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.