Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recent Experiences and Future of Inner Circle

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
Recent Experiences and Future of Inner Circle

In the past 3 weeks I've had 2 Kimpton stays which make me pessimistic about the future of Inner Circle status.

3 weeks ago I had a 3 night stay at the Palomar PHX. I was booked into a corner suite, which is their highest level room below the presidential suite and an arena suite so I wasn't expecting an upgrade, no big deal. We showed up on the first night and I was welcomed as a Spire member. No welcome amenity in our room, but we showed up late and it's not unheard of for some properties to forget or just poorly follow the amenity benefit, I suppose. I reached out to the social media team via twitter to ask if the property still honored the benefit and they were very responsive, apologetic and passed along the note to the Palomar. The front desk supervisor reached out to me via phone the next day and was very apologetic and said the system simply showed me as a Spire member and not a Spire Inner Circle member and they would send up something and asked me what I liked. I told her what was in profile (explicitly, not just "look at my profile") and that night I got a couple of local beers and a meat and cheese plate. Great correction, much appreciated, just annoyed I had to ask in the first place.

My second data point is this week. I had a one night stay at the Allegro in Chicago. The reservation initially didn't have my IHG # on it so I called to have it put on, which had to be done manually by the hotel, for some reason. The reservation then showed up in the app, but not on the website. Because of the above experience I reached out to the hotel via email a week in advance. My email went unanswered. I followed up 2 days before my stay and that email also went unanswered. The hotel is right around the corner from my office so the day before my stay I walked over to confirm that my number was on the reservation and had the following exchange:

Me: I wanted to confirm that my IHG number was on reservation XXXXXX.

Front Desk Agent: Yes, it looks like it is

Me: Is it showing as Spire or Spire Inner Cirlcle, because I had a stay a couple weeks ago at another Kimpton where it just showed up as Spire

FDA: Just Spire, but Inner Circle is now Spire, they are the same thing.

Me: Oh, I thought there was a difference to recognize Kimpton loyalty as well

FDA: It's just Spire now.

Me: oh.... ok.... thanks [in a tone and facial expression full of contradictory past experience and knowledge that the IHG website clearly notes the difference but not wanting to argue with him about it]

Fast forward to my stay. Spire status recognized, told the hotel was full so unfortunately no upgrades available (anticipated and expected) but they did get me a high floor away from elevator, which is in my preferences. Welcome amenity was a bottle of water and an apple. While appreciated, it's just what I would have expected at any other IC as a Spire.

I suppose this could just be 2 disappointing experiences (although the staff at the Palomar ended up coming through), but it doesn't give me my hope that IC status is going to survive and actually makes me wonder if they've begun phasing it out already. I've already been underwhelmed by IHG, Spire and the transition so I wasn't going to go out of my way to try and renew my status, but now I wonder if there is going to be anything to actually renew.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Not had any experiences of inner circle but my money is on Ambassador/Royal Ambassador (possibly renamed) being extended across the newer brands (Kimpton, Regent, the Principal hotel chain) with benefits not unlike RA now (so some guarantees) but without guaranteed upgrade or free minibar.

I think IHG realise that they need something better than Spire for their higher end properties and this I think will be their solution. Especially if Inner Circle Qualifcation Criteria comes close to the RA criteria of $10k spend.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:31 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
In general, I feel like my treatment as an IC hasn’t declined this year. I don’t think I’ve had a stay yet this year where I wasn’t upgraded at all, and I even recently received an elusive suite upgrade... and the incidences of forgotten welcome amenities seems to be on par with past experience (not frequent, and when it happens, a quick call if it hasn’t shown up by 8 or 9 pm always corrects it).

HOWEVER, whereas in the past the front desk almost always welcomed me as an IC, I’m noticing that more and more these days, I’m either welcomed as a Spire or no there is no mention at all of my status, which makes me suspect that on some level, IC is being de-emphasized internally.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
I also have 2 additional IC stays earlier in the year (Aertson in Nashville and the Palomar in Chi), which were both great stays with upgrades (massive suite at the Palomar) and very impressive and thorough welcome amenities. It's the recent experiences that concern me.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
There has been a small downturn in upgrade quality and a larger downturn in amenity quality in the last 4-5 months. I'm not particularly worried, my spend is up from last year, mostly because my ADR is higher. I'll end Q3 with 10 stays, 21 nights, and about $4500 in pre-tax spend, plus a bunch of other HIX/HI type stays elsewhere to kick me over the 70k for Spire before Labor Day, without any 5k packages. This year, most of my work spend is in DC and LA, and my leisure spend is in Florida and San Diego. I have had very good recognition as IC at check-in. When I pressed Kimpton about the nonsense undefined qualification standards for 2019, I was told three different times "if you repeat your 2017 stay pattern (14-16 stays, $175/night ADR on average) you will be pleased." So we'll see, because I'll exceed my 2017 ADR next month with four months to go.

There are a few Kimptons which probably should get downgraded to the new Voco chain, especially in DC but also the Allegro in Chicago, the Muse in Manhattan, and the Sir Frances Drake in San Francisco. Ignoring those for a second, the problem with blending IC with Amb/RA is that Kimptons don't have much to differentiate for elite members except for upgrades. No club lounges, most of the restaurants would have trouble with a lot of free breakfasts, so what do you give someone? I'd be hard pressed to stay at Kimptons without the room upgrades, as some of the regular rooms are pretty tiny. It's a noticeable difference going from an Indigo-quality bathroom in some of the non-upgraded rooms to the full shower/tub room in the suites at the Gray, the Palomar PHX, or the Journeyman.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
I've noticed a decline in the amenity offering at many hotels. Doesn't Spire also get an amenity so maybe they're doing a lot more? I've just noticed that I used to get some pretty incredible ones, and now it's just very minimal. I've stayed even more this year than usual so it's been noticeable for me.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: Marriott, Starwood, American, United, Amtrak, Enterprise
My last Inner Circle stay was in April-ish, but I got a great suite upgrade in Savannah. I don't think there's been any drop-off in quality or IC-recognition, the issue as described to me by more than one front desk was that the IHG IT is just really bad at flagging Inner Circle as distinct from Spire. This is not surprising given that my online browser card only says Spire, my app card says Spire/Inner Circle, and my physical card is Spire/Inner Circle.

Spire is eligible for room upgrades (up to and including suites), but only Inner Circle gets the amenity/chef's taste. In Savannah, the manager had noted me as Spire, but not IC, and it took the front desk a couple of clicks to find out that I was, indeed, IC - they then went above and beyond to deliver the amenity. So - I think the Kimptons and staff are all great, just being hampered by or not yet trained on IHG IT systems.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I'll end Q3 with 10 stays, 21 nights, and about $4500 in pre-tax spend, plus a bunch of other HIX/HI type stays elsewhere to kick me over the 70k for Spire before Labor Day, without any 5k packages. When I pressed Kimpton about the nonsense undefined qualification standards for 2019, I was told three different times "if you repeat your 2017 stay pattern (14-16 stays, $175/night ADR on average) you will be pleased." So we'll see, because I'll exceed my 2017 ADR next month with four months to go.
Doing my best to hit mythical Inner Circle status this year. So far I've got 25 nights / 19 stays at Kimpton. I'm sure my average rate is around $200+/nt.

Last time I hit up IHG on how to qualify for IC, the response was... "I've received your email about your Inner Circle Inquiry. Inner Circle is given by invitation only, members who have done a lot to reach this special status."

In the past it was a published benefit after 14 stays or 40 nights. Has anyone re-qualified for 2019?

Originally Posted by brownoarsman
Spire is eligible for room upgrades (up to and including suites), but only Inner Circle gets the amenity/chef's taste. In Savannah, the manager had noted me as Spire, but not IC, and it took the front desk a couple of clicks to find out that I was, indeed, IC - they then went above and beyond to deliver the amenity. So - I think the Kimptons and staff are all great, just being hampered by or not yet trained on IHG IT systems.
I've been upgraded as a Spire 90% of the time. It's possible my last minute booking had upgrades removed. For the most part, I'm impressed with Kimptons. Can't speak to IC benefits drop.

Since IC gets special access to CEO, anyone considered reaching out and giving feedback on precieved changes?

Spire amenity has been hit and miss. The Portland, OR locations have always taken care of me, especially Vintage.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:20 am
dw

Originally Posted by brownoarsman
I don't think there's been any drop-off in quality or IC-recognition, the issue as described to me by more than one front desk was that the IHG IT is just really bad at flagging Inner Circle as distinct from Spire.
Thanks for mentioning that-- hearing that actually explains why I never seem to be greeted as an IC anymore, compared to past years.
brownoarsman likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BarryL
Last time I hit up IHG on how to qualify for IC, the response was... "I've received your email about your Inner Circle Inquiry. Inner Circle is given by invitation only, members who have done a lot to reach this special status."

In the past it was a published benefit after 14 stays or 40 nights. Has anyone re-qualified for 2019?
I plan on emailing them at the end of August, once I exceed last year's spend. If they can't tell me if I've "done a lot" then I'm going to cut back dramatically.

Without meaningful room upgrades, Kimpton is pretty useless for me in most places.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:20 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Elite/Inner Circle, Hilton HHonors Gold, AA Platinum, Delta Gold
So this is gonna sounds stupid I guess but what if you only really travel to Kimpton's on IHG's property list...somewhere in the 10-20 range a year. Nothing else. Could you be inner circle without being spire? I know you have to stay something like 100 nights or something to be spire. I'll never reach that. What are the actual requirements for IC anyways post merger? Beforehand it was kinda nebulous but something like 14 stays. Still the case?

Last edited by bimmerfreak0; Jul 30, 2018 at 12:31 pm
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: IHG Spire / Kimpton Inner Circle, Delta Plat
For my experiences this year, I feel like certain properties have 'declined' while others continually make me truly feel 'inner circle'. A lot of the time (based on repeat stays at the same property) it just feels like it's the luck of the draw with who is working that day.

However, I think the hiccups with IHG's system haven't been completely resolved, as I have been missed as being IC even though my number is attached to the reservation.

For Inner Circle for 2019, I have yet to receive any confirmation that I have achieved it. I'm at 20 stays so far (19 Kimpton, 1 Intercontinental) totaling 31 nights, with qualified spending at $8200. I think I should be good for next year since I've already hit Spire requirement, however I don't think directing my spending to any other program will have any benefits since I won't hit any category that matters. So i'll just keep chugging along.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bimmerfreak0
So this is gonna sounds stupid I guess but what if you only really travel to Kimpton's on IHG's property list...somewhere in the 10-20 range a year. Nothing else. Could you be inner circle without being spire? I know you have to stay something like 100 nights or something to be spire. I'll never reach that. What are the actual requirements for IC anyways post merger? Beforehand it was kinda nebulous but something like 14 stays. Still the case?
You don't need 100 nights, unless maybe if you're staying in cheap hotels in Southeast Asia. I'm at 62k after only 34 nights split roughly evenly between Kimpton and other IHG properties.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:38 am
dw

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
You don't need 100 nights, unless maybe if you're staying in cheap hotels in Southeast Asia. I'm at 62k after only 34 nights split roughly evenly between Kimpton and other IHG properties.
Right, I'd expect that most people qualify for Spire based on revenue and not the 75 nights... which ends up being only $7,500 of base spending, and for those in the US who can get the new credit card and put hotel charges on it, it actually ends up being less than $3,750 of base spending (since you'll get credit for taxes put on the credit card as well).

Back to IC... I think the biggest hit the program seems to be taking this year is with the IC new hotel offer. The Everly is still listed on the landing page even though the stay period ended one month ago (and it was "sold out" long before that).
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: IC Spire Ambassador, A3*G, MSC Diamond
As I am "only" a Spire Ambassador but not an Inner Circle member may I ask whether your membership card indicated this "add-on" status?
And if so: Couldn't you just present your membership card when checking-in?
This should clearly state the facts...

Last edited by Flamewing; Jul 31, 2018 at 1:41 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.