FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Where do I find how many welcome amenity points I earn? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1920746-where-do-i-find-how-many-welcome-amenity-points-i-earn.html)

serpens Jul 19, 2018 9:08 am

Where do I find how many welcome amenity points I earn?

I read the IHG Rewards Club Terms and Conditions, and I cannot find any mention of "welcome amenity" points. (That in itself is not surprising, but my browser could not find "amenity" either.) I often but not always receive amenity points, but how would a newcomer know how many to expect? Thanks for a pointer.

scubaccr Jul 19, 2018 10:01 am

Originally Posted by serpens (Post 29991004)
I read the IHG Rewards Club Terms and Conditions, and I cannot find any mention of "welcome amenity" points. (That in itself is not surprising, but my browser could not find "amenity" either.) I often but not always receive amenity points, but how would a newcomer know how many to expect? Thanks for a pointer.

Not in IHG t+c's. There are two IHG Source training URLs from 2015_16 that are not protected so accidentally public. The Nov2016 version has table you need on page8/23 of the pdf

o 2015 Training Info
https://source.ihg.com/Documents/10M...30June2015.pdf

o 2016 Training Info , See pdf pg8 for table
https://source.ihg.com/Documents/Nov...10%20FINAL.pdf

serpens Jul 19, 2018 3:36 pm

Thanks, scubaccr, that's just what I was seeking.

I wonder why IHG doesn't mention this benefit as an advantage of Rewards Club.

craigthemif Jul 20, 2018 8:24 am

Originally Posted by serpens (Post 29992350)

I wonder why IHG doesn't mention this benefit as an advantage of Rewards Club.

Because half the time the welcome amenity points don't post correctly so IHG want you to blame the hotel not corporate.

serpens Jul 20, 2018 9:22 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 29994622)
Because half the time the welcome amenity points don't post correctly so IHG want you to blame the hotel not corporate.

Or better yet, not know that the points should have posted?

But seriously, if the points don't post, shouldn't I blame the hotel rather than corporate? Isn't the hotel responsible for posting the points?

Points Scrounger Jul 20, 2018 9:28 am

Staybridge, especially, seems to believe "Sorry, but those are only for paid​​​ stays."

scubaccr Jul 20, 2018 10:10 am

Originally Posted by serpens (Post 29994817)

But seriously, if the points don't post, shouldn't I blame the hotel rather than corporate? Isn't the hotel responsible for posting the points?

Missing points is undoubtably hotels fault ! !

IHG Hotels were meant to either (after early months when no direct credit for points existed) give out voucher with nnnnnnnnnVoucher- ID is to register points or credit directly . In fact hotels are advised by IHG corporate to gift ammenity pts direct online during checkin

However those 300-600 pts per stay cost hotels money to purchase those pts from IHG Corporate and some hotels I satayed at i found rather than checkin reception process, some hotel GM won't allow receprtion to give amenity pts !!

eg HIE Birmingham Center,
1) At checkin staff cord on paper guests name#ihg-account
2)GM later processes said checkin list
3)So multiple options for errors due to not processing amenity pts at checkin on resrervation checkin screens
i)checkin staff write down either name or IHG acct-num incorrectly
ii)checkin staf fforget write down info
iii)GM misreads sheets names/number so guest loses out
iv)GM skips a line accidentally so guest misses out
v)GM mistypes entry accidentally so guest misses out
+
vi)hotels awarding post checkout sometimes forget too

o I note that in early days (2015) i got vouchers to self-register vouchers nn points via online screens , but nowadays find pts vouchers are very rare and hotels award amenity pts online
o some hotels process+ allocate pts at checkin
o some hotels allocate after checkout
o a small number allocae on day of arrival even before checkin
o As Spire at HIE I should (unlike Plat/Gold elites) get choice of drinl/snack/pts, but on my odd HIE stay find no offer and ps credit done as default. Annoying id bar beer 5gbp v points worth gbp2-3
o As Spire at CP's I have noticed a few times option of lounge versus pts/beer/drink , some CPs give lounge ++ points
o In early days (2015) many business guests tried fiddle by booking separate 1x nighters for Mon-Fri stay to get 4-5 drinks (1 per night) althoufgh not entitled. Many hotel owners have instructed staff not to do so, as is meant to be per stay
o No set size of beers, I get variable beers, ie pints, small (1/2 pints), bottles depending on hotel, If pint i take beer, else take the points
o annoying but drinks voucher is officially 1x drink even if couple. An issue if with another guest in my room. (AND for Spire, Lounge via voucher is 1guest not both which is a big red flag though some CPs allow both guests)

scubaccr Jul 20, 2018 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger (Post 29994830)
Staybridge, especially, seems to believe "Sorry, but those are only for paid​​​ stays."

Yes was introduced for paid qual rate stays which i believe this still holds true.

That said many hotels also give vouchers/points.drinks on award night stays too. I would not complain as then IHG corporate would instruct all hotels to not give amenity on award stays

craigthemif Jul 20, 2018 11:28 am

Originally Posted by serpens (Post 29994817)

Yes.

I find that if I haven't received an email (confirming the welcome points) by the time I reach my room... then I should go back to reception and ask for the drink amenity.

somedudefromFLa Jul 20, 2018 3:59 pm

At kimpton they give me two coupons: two drinks from bar & "raid the bar" $10 or whatever credit for bar or in room minibar / snacks. Now, I don't drink alcohol so usually don't use the first coupon, maybe get a soda, but I never get welcome amenity points at kimpton - does anyone know if that's because the first coupon is the amenity? The few times I've stayed at kimpton at check in they've never once asked if wanted points or amenity like indigos and other IHG properties do???

Points Scrounger Jul 20, 2018 7:20 pm

Kimpton is a recent addition to IHG long after the welcome amenity structure was established. Raid the Bar, pretty much, is the amenity. No welcome points, nor credit for food and beverage spending.

336 Jul 21, 2018 12:38 am

Is this a brand standard?

I know many IHG hotels that have never heard about welcome points.

HI in CPT and JNB come to mind. But there are plenty of others.

craigthemif Jul 21, 2018 7:47 am

Originally Posted by 336 (Post 29997216)
Is this a brand standard?

I know many IHG hotels that have never heard about welcome points.

HI in CPT and JNB come to mind. But there are plenty of others.

Did you read the OP's post? The whole thread is about asking whether this is a published benefit. (the answer is no)

dw Jul 22, 2018 12:20 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 29997871)
Did you read the OP's post? The whole thread is about asking whether this is a published benefit. (the answer is no)

I definitely never saw it in writing in years past, but the published benefits now say that all elites are to receive a “Welcome Amenity”. Of course, there’s no detail in just what that amenity is supposed to be.

AndrewAndDebbie Jul 23, 2018 7:58 am

Originally Posted by scubaccr (Post 29995005)
Yes was introduced for paid qual rate stays which i believe this still holds true.

That said many hotels also give vouchers/points.drinks on award night stays too. I would not complain as then IHG corporate would instruct all hotels to not give amenity on award stays

The hotels get paid less for most award stays so I can see why some of them wouldn't want to pay for the welcome amenity.

I've had welcome points on every award night. While this may not be a requirement, the hotels I've stayed at always treated me the same as they would for a paid stay. I suppose it is up to the individual properties. At least one of them is managed by IHG.

(Off-topic. Some of the best run IHG hotels are managed by IHG)