Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: How does a cash and points bill look like ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2018, 6:52 am
cln
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
Question: How does a cash and points bill look like ?

Hey,
i have always used fully paid rates or full awards, i never used IHG C&P as usually it isnt worth it....

For my next stay i would like to use C&P though... Can someone tell me how a C&P bill looks like ?

Will there the cash part be visible on the bill ? I would like to use the cash part as business expense. 5000 points would save me 100€ and it's my own business so i would like to save =)
Old Jul 1, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
A cash and points stay is purchasing the remaining needed points with cash ahead of time and then the bill posts as an award stay. No sales tax/VAT/other percentage based tax applies, though you may still pay any flat per room per night tax depending on local law. Bill does show any incidentals or meals charged to the room.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 8:38 am
cln
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
Thanks for the answer... doesnt make sense then for me i will go for a "free" night then
Old Jul 1, 2018, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
This is different than Hilton, where the cash is paid to the hotel at checkout as a reduced room rate.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
If your accountant is clever enough, couldn't you deduct the full retail price of points when using personal points for a business stay?
Old Jul 1, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by craigthemif
If your accountant is clever enough, couldn't you deduct the full retail price of points when using personal points for a business stay?
Dubious,
a)Loyalty t+c state points have no value, to avoid coutry tax on value of points paid out when earning during stays/promos
b)to claim full retail even if posible, one would need a receipt showing purchase at the full rate purchase
Old Jul 1, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by scubaccr
Dubious,
a)Loyalty t+c state points have no value, to avoid coutry tax on value of points paid out when earning during stays/promos
b)to claim full retail even if posible, one would need a receipt showing purchase at the full rate purchase
I doubt "no value" applies either. Otherwise you could ask your employer to pay part of your salary in miles and points and not pay tax on it...
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by scubaccr
Dubious,
Why should this be a problem? I exchange currency "EUR" or "USD" into currency "points" and pay with that currency,
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I'm neither a lawyer nor a tax accountant, but... my understanding is that you usually can't expense or deduct earned miles & points used for business expenses, since you have no basis. But if you're making a cash & points booking, or even if you just make a points purchase and use that to pay for a business trip, the cash outlay should be deductible on your US taxes, as long as you have the records to tie the purchased points to the specific business use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.