Voco brand discussion (Gold Coast, Dubai, Cardiff, etc)

Old May 22, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: IC Dia RA / Marriott LT Plat / WOH Globalist / Hilton Diamond / OZ Diamond Plus
Voco, Indigo, Kimpton, Crowne Plaze, Regent.. and we still don't get free breakfast.
What a useless '75-qualifying-night' Spire tier..
Old May 22, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by :D!
Parking is free on Manor Road from 7pm to 8.30am (starts earlier further from the hotel).

I don't know how much you can trust IHG website reviews but they are surprisingly negative for this hotel (though there aren't that many in total), even some of the nearby HIXs do better.

Oddly it redeems at 12500 points rather than the usual more rounded numbers... though if I really wanted to save points I'd rather stay at HIX Castle Bromwich
The non-refurbished part of the hotel is quite bad. I was given an 'upgrade' and took one look around the much bigger room and went back down to get one of the smaller refurbished rooms. Though the door wasn't particularly well fitted and allowed noise/light into the room, teething problem rather than major issue I hope.
:D! likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by :D!
Parking is free on Manor Road from 7pm to 8.30am (starts earlier further from the hotel).

I don't know how much you can trust IHG website reviews but they are surprisingly negative for this hotel (though there aren't that many in total), even some of the nearby HIXs do better.

Oddly it redeems at 12500 points rather than the usual more rounded numbers... though if I really wanted to save points I'd rather stay at HIX Castle Bromwich
How does it save points to stay at the HIX Castle Bromwich (I do not know this hotel)? Are the rates less than the 12,500 asked by the voco?
Old May 23, 2019, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Concerto
How does it save points to stay at the HIX Castle Bromwich (I do not know this hotel)? Are the rates less than the 12,500 asked by the voco?
Castle Bromwich is one of the few remaining 10k redemptions in the UK.
Old May 23, 2019, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ha, interesting. I didn't know any of those still existed outside of Pointbreaks.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I completed my stay at the voco St. John's Solihull and really enjoyed it. All the elite benefits were given out, such as free drinks (the bartender actually gave me two, a craft brew from Cornwall). The public areas of the hotel were pleasant, with the light yellow and grey colour scheme. Parking was free on a single yellow line in a nearby street and I reckon you could have parked in Morrison's supermarket without any issues. Breakfast was not free, however, but I did not try it because I had an early flight.

The room was very pleasant and seemed to be newly refurbished. It was quite a distance from reception, down a series of corridors past function rooms and up on the 4th floor. There was, however, a woman getting very loudly humped for quite a while, which drove me down to the bar for my beers. The yells and shrieks were audible in the bathroom even with the doors closed (so, the place is not exactly sound proofed). In the corridor, heads were popping out, in addition to my own, trying to establish where the noise was coming from (it was three doors down on the other side of the corridor, which shows how thin the walls are).
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:21 am

It wasn't Boris was it?
Old Jul 5, 2019, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know, I didn't go in and have a look.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:19 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Concerto
I reckon you could have parked in Morrison's supermarket without any issues.
Really? The Morrison's is quite far away and is "managed" by a typical private car park shyster company which charges 0 for 90 minutes then 100 for >90 minutes parking, enforced by ANPR.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're no doubt right, I didn't check it out. Maybe they put their slippers on at night and don't police it too much. But really, just driving around a bit it's easy to find overnight on street parking on a single yellow line. I definitely wouldn't pay the 15 quid voco is asking for.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:22 am

Does anybody know what the King Suite or Junior Suites are like at the Voco Solihull? - Is it likely to be suitable for 2 adults, a 4 year old and a 2 year old?

(I've provisionally booked both, but would rather we were in one room)
Old Aug 31, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by scienm
Voco, Indigo, Kimpton, Crowne Plaze, Regent.. and we still don't get free breakfast.
What a useless '75-qualifying-night' Spire tier..
Agreed. I am at the Voco Dubai now, and apparently the only real Spire benefit is the 600-point welcome. They upgraded me to a "Royal room" on a high floor. There is an Exective Lounge on a lower high floor but I don't have access.

The hotel is fine; rooms and bathrooms are pretty nice, though the room is really small by Dubai standards. There is no dedicated thread for this hotel and it doesn't really warrant one.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 9:22 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Is it just me or does IHG seem to be lax on creating any sort of global brand excitement and standards for this supposedly luxury brand? This seems a very weak attempt for IHG.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I've explored the Dubai Voco a bit more and must say I agree with bhrubin's characterization as weak. The room is pretty elegant, with a comfortable bed and large shower (with a bathtub inside) with horizontal jets and acceptable pressure though not a rain shower overhead. Aveda wall dispensers with a bar of soap. One positive is the coffee service: in-room filter coffee is rare in Dubai; here they have a filter bag of coffee (like a large teabag) and a kettle, along with a Nespresso-type machine and individually wrapped cookies.

I mentioned that the room is tiny. The length of the bed takes up almost the whole width of the room. Although the furnishings are nice, the layout is not optimal. The room has a lot of master buttons for the lights, which work well and the lighting is better than average overall. AC is very finicky. I set it to 24C all the time, but it always was cooler.

The F&B is uninspired, with a pricey contemporary Indian restaurant (not sure I want to pay AED 100-130 for starters at this hotel), semi-buffet (dinner is a narrow selection of standard soup and salad with choice of a main course, very basic offerings like mixed grill, pizza, pasta), and a Lebanese night club, like a million others in Dubai, that opens at midnight. Bar on the top floor is basic too. There is a small infinity pool on top of the parking garage (typical in this neighbhorhood) with decent views but it's surprisingly dumpy.

The front desk service is surly, almost like they're trying for the aloof vibe that is fashionable these days. Bell service is good though. I have experienced several small annoyances that are typical in the region but not like the "luxury" that they promise. The list of restaurant opening hours on the TV is totally wrong, as are the messages in the elevators, as is the list of TV channels. They didn't deliver the advertised happy hour, saying instead that they had a "new promotion." The TV and VOIP phone were inoperable for hours, which they blamed on the dreaded "system upgrade" (this was in the afternoon and evening hours not overnight).

Spire benefits are minimal, though that is an ICHG issue and they seem to comply with the T&C. Not sure why they didn't give me access to the Club Lounge (I mislabled this as Executive Lounge above). I don't recall ever being denied access to this at an ICHG group hotel (other than an InterContinental of course) that had one.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 2:04 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Is it just me or does IHG seem to be lax on creating any sort of global brand excitement and standards for this supposedly luxury brand? This seems a very weak attempt for IHG.
I stayed once at the Solihull Voco and thought it a perfectly nice, reasonably priced mid-range property. The word luxury didnt cross my mind though.
bhrubin likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.