Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voco brand discussion (Gold Coast, Dubai, Cardiff, etc)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
When a hotel loyalty program goes beyond 8 to 10 different brands, it just gets ridiculous, confusing and mostly useless.

Flyertalk members live, breathe and eat hotels 365 days a year, and even we have trouble untangling this endless multi brand mess. Try explaining to your mother or grandmother all the differences between a Principal, Voco, Hualuxe, Regent, Indigo, Staybridge, Candlewood, EVEN or whatever the hell name they come up with next.

They can barely even fit all the brand logos on the bottom of IHG advertising posters, or on the back of the plastic IHG member cards.

Last edited by est-gratuite; Nov 28, 2018 at 8:45 pm
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
At least it's not as much of a mess of brands as Marwood is these days.

I think the big players are intentionally muddying the waters to capture both the people who like the chain hotel experience and the people who consider themselves to be a bit snobby about wanting a more indie or small property group hotel experience. Hence every big player trying to hit roughly a 42 brand portfolio goal by 2025.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by est-gratuite
When a hotel loyalty program goes beyond 8 to 10 different brands, it just gets ridiculous, confusing and mostly useless.
The world's five largest hotel chains by revenue all disagree with you on that.*

*In decreasing order of revenue, the five largest would be: Marriott, Hilton, Wyndham, Accor, and IHG. If I count correctly, IHG has 15 brands, the other four have 20+ brands each.
Old May 9, 2019, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I am going to try the voco St. John in Solihull by Birmingham in June. They have some pretty amazing points rates that are worthy of a Pointbreak, 12,500 points of a night as I remember or 7,500 points plus GBP30. Only thing is, nobody picks up the phone at this hotel and the email is dead. Doesn't bode well.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Originally Posted by Concerto
I am going to try the voco St. John in Solihull by Birmingham in June. They have some pretty amazing points rates that are worthy of a Pointbreak, 12,500 points of a night as I remember or 7,500 points plus GBP30. Only thing is, nobody picks up the phone at this hotel and the email is dead. Doesn't bode well.
I stayed there at the end of March and was generally pleased - the room had been nicely renovated, but there was still renovation work on other floors. Restaurant/bar had been renovated and was good; pool area seemed very much out of the 1980s. Staff at reception didn’t seem particularly well trained which might explain the lack of response to your email/calls. Points didn’t initially post automatically after the stay.
Old May 12, 2019, 8:19 am

I noticed that too, Solihull isn't the centre of the universe but if Voco really is a luxury brand (is it?) it's strange that it only cost 12,500 points
Old May 12, 2019, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe it is an opening offer. I thought the same and that is the only plausible answer I could come up with, somehow promoting brand awareness and the presence of this hotel. I think.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:43 pm

There is a "new" Voco in Dubai, just up from the CP on SZR. 20K stays available.
Old May 18, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
going through a complete overhaul. Think the rates reflect the fact that only part of the hotel has been refurbished as well as the fact it’s solihull.
Old May 18, 2019, 11:55 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by dw
Also, keep in mind that hotel companies use ridiculous descriptions for their brand positionings. "Upscale" is a step below the Marriotts, Hiltons and Hyatts of the world. Kimpton is supposed to be (according to this terminology) "upper upscale" and IHG has started saying they want to move it slightly higher.
What's above "upper upscale"? Upper-er upscale? Uppity upscale? Uppest upscalest?

Originally Posted by beachmouse
I think the big players are intentionally muddying the waters to capture both the people who like the chain hotel experience and the people who consider themselves to be a bit snobby about wanting a more indie or small property group hotel experience. Hence every big player trying to hit roughly a 42 brand portfolio goal by 2025.
It's partly that. I know a lot of travelers who stay at these newer brands and boast about how they've avoided the chains. More than that, though, the addition of new brands allows the big chains to license more properties in dense areas. Franchising agreements typically include a commitment from the franchisor not to license another property of the same brand within X distance. A new brand means they can stick a new IHG property in just down the street from an existing CP, Indigo, etc. without renegotiating existing contracts.
Old May 19, 2019, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So the voco Solihull is being refurbished, that would explain the low points rates . I'll give it a try and see how it goes

Is it possible to find on street parking there, without having to use the hotel's paid parking? I've got a fairly early flight (rental car return) so I might be able to beat any parking restrictions
Old May 19, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Was free to park the last time I used it, the website said there was a charge, but I don’t think there would be much free parking around as it’s pretty close to the centre.
Old May 19, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like there is a GBP10 charge to park overnight. I'll just suck it up and pay for it, especially if I arrive latish. If it looks like there is easy onstreet parking, I will go for that. Don't know what the UK is like for that, haven't driven a lot there for years. But in the US I can usually get lucky with onstreet overnight parking (unless it's Brooklyn at 11pm on a Sunday night!).
Old May 21, 2019, 5:25 am

Programs: IHG
I think that particular Voco will struggle. There's a very good CP round the corner at almost always very reasonable rates. Parking is free there too.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:11 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Parking is free on Manor Road from 7pm to 8.30am (starts earlier further from the hotel).

I don't know how much you can trust IHG website reviews but they are surprisingly negative for this hotel (though there aren't that many in total), even some of the nearby HIXs do better.

Oddly it redeems at 12500 points rather than the usual more rounded numbers... though if I really wanted to save points I'd rather stay at HIX Castle Bromwich

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.