Wiki Posts
Search

Best IHG Property in Los Angeles?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:57 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by vickh
Also looking to use my cert in SoCal but with kid-friendly, beach recommendations. Free Breakfast would be great
The Shorebreak is across PCH from Huntington Beach and the iconic pier. No free breakfast but the breakfast burritos across the street will feed a small army and Duke’s across the street has great brunches.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 31, 2018 at 6:07 pm
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Flamewing
In this case we would't need any hotel reviews at all...
LA is not like NYC, London, HK, Tokyo or Paris where public transportation is very convenient...the actual hotel location is not that critical since one can easily access all the most "important" places or "must-sees". Decent room, upgrade potential, benefits, etc likely plays a larger role in those cities.

Whereas LA is HUGE with poor public transportation, and IMO, property location is more critical. After all, it's your first time staying in LA without a car...I don't think you'll be in the room much and would prefer to closer to where you want to visit. You can stay in the IC downtown for the decent room, a better chance of an upgrade but spend an hour in uber/traffic to hit the beach.

Last edited by Troopers; Jul 31, 2018 at 3:17 pm
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:31 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Flamewing
I have never ever stayed in Los Angeles before, have only 3 days / 2 nights and wanted to book the "optimal" property for reaching the most "important" places ("must sees") and to receive a decent room at the same time. So I am open to any suggestions...
LA's must sees are all over the place so renting a car maybe something you want to consider. If not, Uber and Lyft can get you around but that can get expensive quick.

If you were to follow this sample itinerary...

https://travel.usnews.com/Los_Angele...day-itinerary/

La Peer is better for Day 1
IC CC is better for Day 2
IC Downtown is better for Day 3

So it's really dependent on what you want to see.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: IHG spire ambassador, SPG/Marriott Gold(new plat), Virgin Atlantic
Don't drive in LA unless absolutely have to IT SUCKS... rather get hotel near where need to be

IMHO kimpton is best! But, if you do want new downtown IC keep in mind it is possible to take the subway from downtown to Hollywood blvd area pretty easily & quickly, but that's about the only place it'll get you to. Again driving in LA sucks - think massive attack of slow moving toyota prius
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum
Has the Kimpton La Peer started to charge a "destination fee"?
Looked up my booking for March and it showed this:

"Taxes and Additional Charges Guest Amenity of $30.00 + tax. Includes $20 Daily Breakfast Credit at Viale Dei Romani, Upgraded WiFi speed throughout the hotel’s guest rooms and public spaces for up to 5 devices (Normally a $14.99 charge), Cold Pressed Morning Juice & Kombucha available daily 6am-9am in lobby. Daily Fitness Class – provided by Gentry Jackson onsite 30-minute sessions of stretching and light training (Times will be published and distributed at arrival) and Printing & copying services up to 10 pages."

Pretty useless except for the breakfast credit - I think the rest was already provided for free before...
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
I am looking at using my Chase Free night at either IC Century City or one of the Kimpton's for a one or two night stay,

I am now a lowly Ambassador, stayed at IC Century City a few time in the past prior to refurb.

I have some comp breakfast coupons from my last stay so these should cover breakfast.

Do any of the Kimptons offer free breakfast?

Has the refurb improved the pool area / spa?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 2:35 pm

The Kimpton La Peer is one of the finest hotels that I’ve been to in Los Angeles. The service is warm and impeccable. You get a 20 dollar breakfast credit for each day which is part of the resort fee. If you’re Inner Circle the fee is waived. You also get free rides with Uber select for short distances near the hotel. You also get free cold pressed juices, coffee and kombucha on tap. It’s also a great redemption value as the room rates are often 500+.

The Kimpton Everly gets you a free espresso beverage and a breakfast pastry for Inner Circles. Can’t recommend the Wilshire and the Palomar is good but nothing special.

Another thing to keep in mind: you usually get way better status recognition and upgrades on free nights at Kimptons. If you’re Inner Circle you get all the perks of a regular paid stay. Can’t say the same with the two LA Intercons. (Status recognition at the DTLA one just generally sucks by any metric.)
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:57 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Originally Posted by Graf von B
(Status recognition at the DTLA one just generally sucks by any metric.)
I had reason to meet the IC DTLA Guest Services manager today - she has the wrong job. The person in front of me left disappointed and whilst I got the answer I needed, it was not good customer service. If someone in that position cares so little about service, it doesn’t surprise me that status recognition is poor.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
The Kimpton La Peer is one of the finest hotels that I’ve been to in Los Angeles. The service is warm and impeccable. You get a 20 dollar breakfast credit for each day which is part of the resort fee. If you’re Inner Circle the fee is waived. You also get free rides with Uber select for short distances near the hotel. You also get free cold pressed juices, coffee and kombucha on tap. It’s also a great redemption value as the room rates are often 500+.

The Kimpton Everly gets you a free espresso beverage and a breakfast pastry for Inner Circles. Can’t recommend the Wilshire and the Palomar is good but nothing special.

Another thing to keep in mind: you usually get way better status recognition and upgrades on free nights at Kimptons. If you’re Inner Circle you get all the perks of a regular paid stay. Can’t say the same with the two LA Intercons. (Status recognition at the DTLA one just generally sucks by any metric.)
Sounds like I should book the La Peer for my free night.. in regards to Inner Circle is there anyway to sign up and get a trial?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:28 pm

Yup, selecting the La Peer is by far your best bet.

No trial for Inner Circle. It’s the invitation-only status that’s akin to Royal ambassador for Intercon.
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Yup, selecting the La Peer is by far your best bet.

No trial for Inner Circle. It’s the invitation-only status that’s akin to Royal ambassador for Intercon.
Thanks to all, I have a cert to use before it expires, and this seems like a great staycation. Does Spire Platinum Elite get me anything other than WiFi? Wouldn't expect it, but thought I'd ask,
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:27 am

Platinums have a far better chance at getting an upgrade at Kimptons than an Intercontinental, with the La Peer being fairly generous in my experience. You’ll also get a 10 dollar bar or minibar credit.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Platinums have a far better chance at getting an upgrade at Kimptons than an Intercontinental, with the La Peer being fairly generous in my experience. You’ll also get a 10 dollar bar or minibar credit.
Thanks!
Old Jun 30, 2019, 3:56 am

Very useful thread. Adding my question here makes sense to me: I'll be a first-time L.A. visitor staying just three days and I'm also looking to redeem points at an upscale IHG property.

I'm interested in: museums such as the Getty Center, cafeterias/bars/farmer's markets/breweries, perhaps the beach once or twice; iconic overlooks or drives; ethnic neighborhoods.
I'm not interested in: Universal Studios, Hollywood walk of fame, Disney stuff.

Which IHG property would you pick (a) with a car or (b) without a car? (I still haven't figured out if getting a rental would be cost-efficient or not. The high valet parking fees of $50+ are somewhat putting me off.)

I guess the suggestion for the scenario without a rental would still be the Everly? Oh, and La Peer isn't available on points during my dates.

Last edited by nosedive; Jun 30, 2019 at 3:57 am Reason: EDIT: Status is Spire Amb, no Inner Circle
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:29 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Only the Everly is remotely close to convenient mass transit (Wilshire and Palomar are bus-friendly, but buses aren't a good option for covering a lot of territory. The Shorebreak is the only properly close to a beach. LA is a vast, sprawling city that can be a little challenging without a car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.