Wiki Posts
Search

Kimpton Chicago - which one?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2018, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Kimpton Chicago - which one?

Four options in Chicago for Kimpton. Hotel Palomar, Monaco, The Gray, or Allegro? Allegro seems to have best price, and is 45k award vs 50k.

Any experiences?
Old May 27, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
I've stayed at all 4 in the past 12 months, with multiple visits to most. I would say each is great for various reasons. What is the context of your stay? Is it a weekend, is it a family trip? Are you coming specifically to go to a show or some other event? FYI, fantastic weekend rates (~$100-$150) at all 4 can make using points a poor value.

The Allegro and the Gray are both firmly IN the loop and would make for great weekday stays, but poor weekend stays, for the most part. The Palomar is in River North and a better fit all week, while the Monaco is close enough to the river to work for both as well.

The Gray is very recently refurbished and quite nice. The Palomar is right behind it in terms of age. The Allegro is a little dated, but I think it's got a ton of character and still pretty nice. The Monaco is probably in the middle. I've had great service and significant upgrades along with good IC welcome amenities at all 4. Also had good experiences as an (old Karma program) level 2 and 3 over the course of the year. If you can provide more details about the nature of your stay, it would help focus your search.
FlyingKansan likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I wouldn't spend 45-50k for any of them unless you are an IC. I've done a bunch of winter $74 last minute nights at the Allegro. Great service, they've done the best with the rooms that they can, but they have an old hotel building and can't do much. I always get an upgrade to a larger room (xx31), but it's not that large. The Gray is a much nicer hotel, easily worth 5k/night more. The room upgrades are better for IC - I'm not sure what they'd do for a Spire. It was a total rehab to the studs of an office building, my office is across the street and I'd watch the progress over time. It has a very nice bar on the 2nd floor, and a rooftop bar on summer weekends.

I've not stayed at the Palomar, but given the location and how Kimpton usually equips that sub-brand (I've stayed in Palomars in LA, Phoenix, and Portland), it's probably the best mix of location and amenities for a non-upgraded room.
Old May 28, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I stayed at the Monaco recently as I wanted to give Kimpton a try. I certainly won't spend 50K per night again for an ok room and to drink plonk in a lobby heaving with other guests. The $10 minibar credit also doesn't go far when you can only get two waters for that price. I'd get that for free anywhere else I have status... The gym was also tiny with limited equipment.

I suppose I can see why infrequent hotel guests might like Kimpton, but it's not for this Platinum member...
Old May 30, 2018, 1:23 pm

Inner Circle member here. I’ve stayed in all Chicago Kimptons and the Gray is definitely my favorite. Generous upgrades for ICs, beautifully appointed rooms, great IC amenities and fantastic service. Location is right in the middle of the Loop in the financial district.

Monaco and Palomar are nice but certainly feel a bit dated (more than the Allegro.)

The Allegro’s lobby is gorgeous and location is fantastic, but standard rooms are small and service is not nearly as personalized and “Kimpton-like.” IC upgrades are meager, the policy is only one category up (what?!?) and IC amenities are lackluster.

All things considered, go for The Gray!
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
It looks like Hotel Monaco was recently renovated. Can anybody who recently stayed there update their personal rankings?

I'm currently on the fence between a standard room at the Palomar (with $100 property credit, and chance of upgrade) and a river view nook room at the Monaco. Rates are roughly the same. The trip is for my sister and her friend (both recently out of college) doing the typical first-timer leisure stuff (and I'm sure lots of bar-hopping).
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:18 pm

The Palomar is in River North, which is a hip district with lots of great options for bars/nightlife and restaurants. Given that your sister and her friend prob won’t be spending much time in the room, take the 100 credit and good location of the Palomar.

The Monaco’s window nooks are divine, but I don’t think it’s worth forgoing the 100 bucks credit (especially for two recent college grads!)

Be sure to remind them about the free wine happy hour from 5-6pm!
patmcpsu likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
The restaurant at the Palomar is really more of a high end cocktail bar, both in quality and price. The $100 credit is a great add on, but it won't go as far as it might elsewhere.

Haven't been back to the Monaco since the renovation, but it looks nice and nicer/newer than the Palomar. I'll agree with poster above about the window nooks, but at the end of the day, it's not enough to move the needle as you are really just getting a nice place to lounge and look at 100 yards of the river and a view full view of the lovely architecture of Trump tower, which is really better enjoyed, drink in hand, on the boat rooftop of the CAF river tour anyway. While it's barely on the Loop side of the river, be aware that the Loop can be absolutely deserted on weekends.

They are both extremely convenient for any of the train lines. I can't be 100% sure, but I believe the Palomar has significantly more, and more substantial, suites, which might impact your decision. I've definitely been put into a 3 bedroom suite the size of a small apartment at the Palomar on a couple of occasions, as an Inner Circle.
patmcpsu likes this.
Old May 28, 2020, 1:28 pm

It appears that all of the hotels in Chicago are going for 20-25k/night in August (including the IC and Kimptons). I am looking at replacing my Europe trip with an Amtrak trip, so I am looking for a decent place close to Union Station for a three night stopover. I really have no plans or expectations for my stay, but it appears that the Gray is the closest to the station. Is this a doable walk? Is there a better hotel that I could easily reach from the station? I would prefer something walk-able given the current situation.
Old May 28, 2020, 10:29 pm

Yes, it is a very easy and safe walkS. The Gray is a beautiful property with excellent service.
downinit likes this.
Old May 29, 2020, 6:57 am

Good to hear; I booked the Gray. I almost forgot about the 4th night free, but I would say that 4 nights for 60k points seems like a deal too good to pass up. Not sure what will be open at that point, but I would be happy just to wander around town. I haven't been there in at least a decade, as my travel is almost always TPAC or TATL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.