Intercontinental Marseille (Dieu)

Old May 23, 2018, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Intercontinental Marseille (Dieu)

Hi all

We have a 3 night stay at the above hotel next week and my custom upgrade shows 25 Euros a night for a Deluxe to Executive upgrade chance.

Would anyone think this is good value? Does it have a lounge or anything with drinks or is that something InterCon don't really have?

I am IHG Gold if that makes minimal difference to opinions.

Thanks
Mark
Old May 26, 2018, 3:06 pm

With 3 nights there it might be worth buying ambassador membership and asking if that would get you an upgrade to a Harbour view room. Its being an ambassador that counts at ICs. It's a lovely hotel so enjoy.
Old May 27, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As quitecontrary says, it is the harbour view rooms which are really worth it there, and especially those with a terrace but I suspect that the upgrade fee would be substantially higher for these (assuming it is offered). What I would probably do if I were in your shoes and were not an ambassador, rather than join the ambassador scheme in advance, I would negotiate the purchase of ambassador status at the hotel itself as it would increase your chance of a better upgrade. We negotiated an upgrade to a harbour view room with a terrace (from a standard room) that way when we stayed there a couple of years ago and we were very happy,

BTW, it is "Hôtel-Dieu" as a set phrase, not the "Dieu" hotel (if you ask for the latter, people in Marseille are unlikely to understand what you are referring to). "Hôtel-Dieu" was the name of the hospital before it got converted to a hotel.

Last edited by NickB; May 27, 2018 at 11:06 am
Old May 27, 2018, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by NickB
As quitecontrary says, it is the harbour view rooms which are really worth it there, and especially those with a terrace but I suspect that the upgrade fee would be substantially higher for these (assuming it is offered). What I would probably do if I were in your shoes and were not an ambassador, rather than join the ambassador scheme in advance, I would negotiate the purchase of ambassador status at the hotel itself as it would increase your chance of a better upgrade. We negotiated an upgrade to a harbour view room with a terrace (from a standard room) that way when we stayed there a couple of years ago and we were very happy,

BTW, it is "Hôtel-Dieu" as a set phrase, not the "Dieu" hotel (if you ask for the latter, people in Marseille are unlikely to understand what you are referring to). "Hôtel-Dieu" was the name of the hospital before it got converted to a hotel.
Hotel-Dieu is a common nickname for many hospitals in France, as in Gods waiting room. I think there is another IC named Hotel-Dieu coming in due course.
Old May 28, 2018, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rapidex
Hotel-Dieu is a common nickname for many hospitals in France, as in Gods waiting room.
Many hospitals are indeed called Hotel-Dieu in France but not so much as in God's waiting room but rather because they were originally run by the (Catholic) Church for those in need. Hospital and hotel, incidentally, share the same etymological origin.
rapidex likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
It would be best to post in the Master thread for this hotel. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...ad-merged.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.