Which IC for Hong Kong

Old May 22, 18, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Which IC for Hong Kong

Hi there,
my travel will take me to Hong Kong in the next weeks and I noticed that there are two different Intercontinental hotels.
Having never been to HKG before I am wondering which hotel to choose?

I have Royal Ambassador status and booked the Stamford IC (Premier Harbour View Suite) as of now.

Is this a good choice? Which of the two hotels has the better view, the nicer rooms, the better club, the better service and the better pool? And which room category should I book?

I am going there for business but with only 2 short meetings within 4 days there is plenty of time to enjoy views and facilities and nearby attractions.

Any suggestions would be highly welcome!

Thanks!
Old May 22, 18, 5:59 am

Programs: AA; The Peninsula
You chose the wrong one. The IC Hong Kong has one of the most iconic lobbies of any hotel anywhere. That's by no means the only reason to stay there, but it's already enough of one. Also better location, better views, better restaurants.

Anyone who says Grand Stanford should be banned from this board
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 22, 18, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Peninsula View Post
You chose the wrong one. The IC Hong Kong has one of the most iconic lobbies of any hotel anywhere. That's by no means the only reason to stay there, but it's already enough of one. Also better location, better views, better restaurants.

OK, thanks!
But what kind of room should I book (and what upgrade expect)?
Old May 22, 18, 9:29 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

I've stayed at both and both are nice, but I prefer to IC Hong Kong for the view, service, and all the restaurants. As for choosing a room, go with the Harbourside view and expect a 2 level upgrade as an RA. I usually like to book the deluxe suite to get upgraded to the executive suite myself.

The GS does have the newer room and I did enjoy the club lounge. I haven't been to the club at the ICHK.
Old May 22, 18, 11:48 am

The IC is in a different category. Better service, far better club, far better view. But standard rooms are smaller.
Check the RA thread to see what upgrade you can expect.
Don't even think about staying at the GS.
Old May 22, 18, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
whenever I see to look the GS is much cheaper and they have an amazing lounge. So for my $ I prefer the GS.
Gongzuokuang likes this.
Old May 24, 18, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Peninsula View Post
Originally Posted by Unterwegs View Post
Don't even think about staying at the GS.
Seriously exaggerated negative responses to the GS, which is actually a really nice property.

The harbour view rooms may not have the views the IC does, but still nice and the rooms are nicer, and more modern (at least until the IC closes down for renovations).
Lounge is also better than the IC, It's usually cheaper, and no messy construction work going on around it.
Gongzuokuang likes this.
Old May 26, 18, 7:12 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
While they are both good, as an RA, the ICHK is the one to stay at. Great UPG's and full island views vs the east island views from mnay of the ICGS "harborview" rooms. And, the lounge is excellent. Check on the status of the construction though before you book as it was quite noisy with the development nearby (as well as the ship parked in front blocking part of the view, and I read that the ICHK was doing some interior renovation recently.

Last edited by rbAA; May 26, 18 at 7:27 pm
Old May 31, 18, 7:45 am

Programs: AA PRO, MarriottSPGRCetc Plat, IHG Spire Amb, Foolish Hoarder of Miles, Fid. Def.
Originally Posted by rbAA View Post
While they are both good, as an RA, the ICHK is the one to stay at. Great UPG's and full island views vs the east island views from mnay of the ICGS "harborview" rooms. And, the lounge is excellent. Check on the status of the construction though before you book as it was quite noisy with the development nearby (as well as the ship parked in front blocking part of the view, and I read that the ICHK was doing some interior renovation recently.
Was just at the ICHK last weekend. The floating crane out front does gum up the views from the lounge and lobby a tad bit, but nothing to get bent out of shape over. If you can manage an HV room on a high floor, I defy you to find a better cityscape view anywhere in the world.

Club is amazing and service on-point as always. Never tried the GS; I'm sure it's perfectly cromulent, but ICHK is in a different league.
Old May 31, 18, 9:38 am

Another reason to choose the ICHK now is because they will be closing in Feb 2019 and will re-open in 2021 as a Regent.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 31, 18, 1:48 pm

Programs: Spire RA, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN, Ctrip Diamond VIP.
Originally Posted by clubman View Post
Seriously exaggerated negative responses to the GS, which is actually a really nice property.

The harbour view rooms may not have the views the IC does, but still nice and the rooms are nicer, and more modern (at least until the IC closes down for renovations).
Lounge is also better than the IC, It's usually cheaper, and no messy construction work going on around it.
All agreed, but the lounge at the GS is comically bad compared to the IC HK. They are worlds apart.
Old Jun 4, 18, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Which of the two does have the better pool area? Does one of them have a pool with view above the bay?
Old Jun 4, 18, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by SebFra View Post
Which of the two does have the better pool area? Does one of them have a pool with view above the bay?
The ICHK has an infinity pool above the bay, but last summer they had it blocked off due to construction. The GS has walls around the pool so you can't really see anything.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 6, 18, 2:22 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Gold, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by clubman View Post

I stayed at the GS and ICHK last year, and thought that the GS was way better for the price paid. The view from the ICHK's lobby lounge was (and still is) obstructed by a barge. The ICHK's pool was unusable from construction (maybe OK now), and pedestrian access to anything is via an underground subway crossing.

I stayed at the Conrad HK a week ago, and the ICHK didn't look any better from across the bay. I have stays planned for August and September. I am picking the GS over the ICHK. Heck, I'll use my credit card free night at the GS over the ICHK even though the ICHK costs more.
Old Jun 13, 18, 6:14 am

Programs: QR Plat, RA, Oman Air Gold, HH Diamond
I always thought the Grand Stanford lounge was a bit more "clubby" than the IC HK

the IC HK is without doubt a better property but the lounge at IC HK does not have a particularly good view

Search this Thread
Search Engine: