Chase IHG Traveler Card's "Fourth Reward Night Free"

Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by baroqen
Bora Bora and Tahiti are notoriously difficult to book on points. Same with BOGO certificate. Personally, there's probably sufficient value to the card even if you are only able to use the 4th night free benefit just once evey other year. That's assuming you can use all 3-4 free night certs (your two existing plus one or two from new Premier(s)) every year. I think you won't have a hard time getting $89 value out of a free night cert, but even if you only get $70 value at a HIX, if you occasionally use the 4th night benefit you get the full value from an additional free night. It all depends entirely on your travel patterns and the availability/desire to stay at IHG properties, and only you can answer that. For me, it's not something I will need to use every year to get net value, it isn't even something I need to maximize on a value per point basis, particularly with the current 100k signup bonus.

If you're looking only to do high redemptions at luxury properties, then you're using the wrong hotel chain in the first place.
I don't think I travel often enough to take full advantage of having both IHG cards. I plan on keeping the select card which will be downgraded to 40k annual certificate for $49 annual fee. The party was great while it lasted $49 for night at IC hotel. Now waiting for the next big deal...
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by pdragn78
I don't think I travel often enough to take full advantage of having both IHG cards. I plan on keeping the select card which will be downgraded to 40k annual certificate for $49 annual fee. The party was great while it lasted $49 for night at IC hotel. Now waiting for the next big deal...
Maybe get the Hyatt card and start building points to stay at the Park Hyatt Hadahaa? From what I've read, it seems much easier to book than the exotic ICs.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:37 am

I have separate reservations totaling 4 nights for Bora - do I need to cancel and rebook as one to get the 4th night free? Concerned if I cancel that I might lose the space...
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:27 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
I have separate reservations totaling 4 nights for Bora - do I need to cancel and rebook as one to get the 4th night free? Concerned if I cancel that I might lose the space...
You would need 1 reservation for 4th free. Call them and perhaps they have a way of putting them all together.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
I had this same issue as Intercontinental Yokohama. I called IHG and here was no way for IHG to combine them.

One of the nights was showing no more points availability and cash rates were through the roof. I just stayed with the four separate points nights booking and didn't get the discount.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 5:00 am

Approved instantly for card on August 25 (Saturday). Was able to book fourth night free on August 31.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Was just able to use this benefit, and saved 70,000 points for 1 night. Well worth $89 AF!
flybie and ARR72 like this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA, KLM, United, Amex, Chase, Hilton
I have 100k points and the hotel I want to book is 30k/night. I'm trying to book 4 nights for the price of 3 so thats 90k points. IHG is telling me that even though the cost is 90k points, I still need to have 120k points in my account. Has anyone heard this before?

Every IHG rep I speak with is so unprofessional, keeps saying "umm," doesn't know about the benefits... i really am questioning the competence of the people IHG hires for customer service.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
That should not happen as the system should show a upfront cost of 90k (as it is not 130k and get 30k back).When did you get the card?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA, KLM, United, Amex, Chase, Hilton
Originally Posted by blitzen
That should not happen as the system should show a upfront cost of 90k (as it is not 130k and get 30k back).When did you get the card?
I haven't received it in the mail yet. I applied last week and today I got an email from IHG saying that my elite status has been upgraded to Platinum bc of the card. So I figured the other benefits of the card (i.e. 4th night free) would apply as well. I called IHG again and they said it can take up to 2-3 weeks for all the benefits to roll in (so stupid), which is supposed to explain why I'm not able to book 4 for the price of 3.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by MissMiles
I have 100k points and the hotel I want to book is 30k/night. I'm trying to book 4 nights for the price of 3 so thats 90k points. IHG is telling me that even though the cost is 90k points, I still need to have 120k points in my account. Has anyone heard this before?

Every IHG rep I speak with is so unprofessional, keeps saying "umm," doesn't know about the benefits... i really am questioning the competence of the people IHG hires for customer service.
experienced this same problem today and came up with a self-service solution
booked my stay for 3 award nights first
went back into the reservation and used Change Stay* to extend to 4 nights

* to get to Change Stay, go back into your original reservation, click View All Reservations, click into the reservation under Stays and Events, click Change Stay
ARR72 likes this.

Last edited by Colin; Dec 17, 2018 at 8:51 am
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Colin

* to get to Change Stay, go back into your original reservation, click View All Reservations, click into the reservation under Stays and Events, click Change Stay
Thank you so much - this helped tremendously!
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:08 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Colin

I don't know whether to call this a kludge or an elegant solution to an unnecessary problem, but it a good tool to have in the toolkit. Thanks for posting.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:23 pm

Has anyone had success in extending the certificate expiration? Also do you have to just book the stay BY the expiration date, or the stay must be BEFORE the expiration date?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

My recollection is that T&C say the stay must be completed by the expiration date. My recollection is also that several people have reported booking the stay before the expiration date for a stay after the expiration date and have had no issues. However, if IHG starts enforcing the T&C or the particular hotel where you book your stay decides to enforce the T&C, you could arrive and find you have either no reservation or a reservation at current rate.

If you try it, please report the results.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.