Chase IHG Traveler Card's "Fourth Reward Night Free"

Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:33 pm

Ok, I tried the workaround for this.. book 3 nights and then change the reservation to 4 and it just priced the award as 4 nights. I have 214k points, and I’m looking at an IC that’s 70k per night. When I get to book now it quotes 210k points due to 4th night free. However when I click book now I get an error that I don’t have enough points. Surprised there isn’t more information out there about this issue. Guess I’ll need to give them a call.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:41 pm

i gave the exact solution. you should revisit by counsel more deliberatively. proceed to the end, even if seeing a screen mentioning the 4x total price.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Colin
i gave the exact solution. you should revisit by counsel more deliberatively. proceed to the end, even if seeing a screen mentioning the 4x total price.
Thanks, I went ahead and confirmed even though it was quoting a 4 night award amount and it went through. I wasn't clear on that last step, but this did work. Appreciate your help!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:20 pm

Ha, I just ran into the same problem, checked here in case others were having the same issue, and saw your solution. Worked like a charm -- thanks for the help!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:32 pm

Any recent experiences on how long it takes after card upgrade to be able book 4th night free. Got approved on phone for upgrade on Dec. 27. Trying to book 50,000 point hotel for 4 nights (have 150k points). Only lets me select the cash and points option.

Would it be worth trying to book for 3 now and then just changing when it kicks in? Would that cause any problems?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:30 pm

I also have the same question as David above- How long does it take once approved for the 4th night free to kick in. I have tried to lower the amount of days so my present point amount would cover and it still does not come up. It does however show the point/cash option. It has only been since Monday that I was approved though. Does anyone have any idea? thank you in advance
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:08 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Originally Posted by JPhotoz
I also have the same question as David above- How long does it take once approved for the 4th night free to kick in. I have tried to lower the amount of days so my present point amount would cover and it still does not come up. It does however show the point/cash option. It has only been since Monday that I was approved though. Does anyone have any idea? thank you in advance
I applied last Monday 2/4 as well and as of today in my IHG Account Activity page it shows an entry on 2/7 that reads, "IHG Rewards Premier Card PLTN Upgrade".

This seems to be the indicator that the benifits are active (or shortly after) even though I have not yet received the physical card in the mail. Regardless, to redeem the 4th free night option you need enough points to cover the entire stay PRE-discount it seems.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by Tony300S
I applied last Monday 2/4 as well and as of today in my IHG Account Activity page it shows an entry on 2/7 that reads, "IHG Rewards Premier Card PLTN Upgrade".

This seems to be the indicator that the benifits are active (or shortly after) even though I have not yet received the physical card in the mail. Regardless, to redeem the 4th free night option you need enough points to cover the entire stay PRE-discount it seems.
just read above your post as there are the experiences and workarounds of others.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:40 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Originally Posted by blitzen

just read above your post as there are the experiences and workarounds of others.
I did... so how does this method CONFIRM the 4th night free benefit is active? You add 1 day to your already booked award stay and at this point it's free/no charge? What if the 4th or extra night is not yet free, not available and/or gets booked before your workaround?

It's not clear that's why it keeps getting asked over and over. The few articles I found about the topic show it is clearly subtracted PRIOR to the final confirmation page.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/how-t...ht-free-award/
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:13 pm

then just be a victim and first accumulate the points needed before 4th night free

Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:21 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

then just be a victim and first accumulate the points needed before 4th night free
Can you be more helpful by answering ANY of my questions rather than adding another useless one line response?

Who's a victim? The points are not my issue at 1/2 Million+ just trying to understand the 4th night free (specifically immediately after opening the card) process much as all the previous posters.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:00 pm

Regardless, to redeem the 4th free night option you need enough points to cover the entire stay PRE-discount it seems.
you are mistaken.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Can you be more helpful by answering ANY of my questions rather than adding another useless one line response?

Who's a victim? The points are not my issue at 1/2 Million+ just trying to understand the 4th night free (specifically immediately after opening the card) process much as all the previous posters.
LOL you know of 1/2 million people who just opened the card and want to book the forth night free in the first few days after approval?
it was all discussed here and workarounds if needed were discussed.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:04 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by blitzen

LOL you know of 1/2 million people who just opened the card and want to book the forth night free in the first few days after approval?
it was all discussed here and workarounds if needed were discussed.
READ: The points are not my issue at 1/2 Million+

And against my better judgment, I tried the work around that DOEST work last night!

Booked 3-nights @ 70K, charged 210K. I then Edited the stay to 4-night and was charged an additional 70K for a total of 280K.

I'm not too worried yet as my travel is in Aug. and at least now I have a placeholder. But the true question on when the 4th night becomes AUTOMATIC after a recent application/approval remains...currently at 7 business days (Mon. 2/4-Tues 2/12) and no dice.

Bottom line, as veteran as some members here may be it obviously doesn't mean they know what they are talking about or will be helpful in actually answering the questions asked. Try another forum or blog.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:18 am

at the point a new Chase cardholder's 4th-night-free benefit becomes active at IHG.com:

* the benefit will be automatic for all those who have sufficient points to cover the full cost before discount.

* the benefit will not be automatic for all those who have insufficient points to cover the full cost before discount
* for these people, just follow my advice is post 41 above
* the purpose of this advice is not to solve any problem other than allowing a Chase cardholder with an activated IHG 4-night-free benefit to be able to use the benefit despite having insufficient points for the stay pre-discount

you are mixing 2 issues:
* when the benefit becomes active
* making bookings using this benefit with limited points

the latter is a non-issue.
the former will be active pretty soon - it didn't take a long time for me - i remember being surprised that it was active so soon - think "a few weeks"

Last edited by Colin; Feb 12, 2019 at 10:31 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.