Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG Premier 20% rebate for Points Purchase

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
IHG Premier 20% rebate for Points Purchase

Hi,

Did anyone holding the card purchase Points yet? Is the rebate deducted from the charge or will Chase issue a credit after the purchase posted or ......
https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....nts-best-deal/
With the Rebate each point would be only 0.44 cents which can make a lot of sense to stock up.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:15 pm

I just applied for the card, so I can't try a dummy purchase until I get it. I guess there a few ways it could work, right? Your account could be coded in a way that it knows you're entitled to the discount, so that the total just shows up 20% off from the start. Or, since I think you have to use the new IHG card in order to get the discount (as opposed to just holding one), the discount could show up upon entering the eligible CC info. Or, it could show up as a rebate on the CC bill, the way travel statement credits do with other cards. Like the OP, I'll be interested to hear how it works. If anyone has the card and takes advantage of the offer, please let us know the mechanism for the discount. Or, if anyone already has the card, but doesn't want to buy the points, maybe try a dummy purchase to see if we can figure anything out? Thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
1) rebate not shown when paying the points
2) nor at checkout when paying with premier
3) invoice shows price without rebate
4) whole amount showing as pending
...... let’s see what happens from here
Old Apr 20, 2018, 12:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

If the 20% discount is only for points purchase from IHG, and not for Cash + Points, then I think the 20% is probably pretty worthless
Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Why is the 20% rebate worthless? And where does it say anything.about cash and points being excluded in the offer terms?

if you buy with a 100% bonus you get points for 0.4 cents each
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Got some points using the 80% bonus offer.

charge paired a few days ago ..... now I am waiting for my 20% off
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:20 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Can you use this card to help meet the minimum spend requirement to get the signup bonus?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rebadc
Can you use this card to help meet the minimum spend requirement to get the signup bonus?
Not sure what you are talking about. If you refer to buying points to meet minimum spend then I don't see a reason why not.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Yes, buying points to meet the minimum spend requirement.
Thanks.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:57 am

-----

Last edited by mster; Apr 25, 2019 at 8:42 am
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Normally the costs per point are 1 cent > 100k points = $1000 with $200 max savings
The 80%/100% is bonus points not reabate
Not sure about the max per year but that restriction was lifted a few times over the last few years (at least for me).
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by thealphalion
If the 20% discount is only for points purchase from IHG, and not for Cash + Points, then I think the 20% is probably pretty worthless
I was just approved for the premier card. When I logged in yesterday and tried to make a booking it said I was eligible for a 20 percent discount on cash plus points rates.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by gruntermen
I was just approved for the premier card. When I logged in yesterday and tried to make a booking it said I was eligible for a 20 percent discount on cash plus points rates.
There seems to be a separate 20% discount on C&P bookings promotion running right now. I suspect your 20% off was due to the promo and not the fact that you're a Premier card holder.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Just asked Chase via PM

..... you have to ask IHG when your 20% bonus points are applied to your account ......

So the Chase CSR tied to kick the ball to IHG and as we know 20% bonus is not 20% rebate (it is a 16.667% rebate of sorts)
Old Apr 25, 2018, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen
Just asked Chase via PM

..... you have to ask IHG when your 20% bonus points are applied to your account ......

So the Chase CSR tied to kick the ball to IHG and as we know 20% bonus is not 20% rebate (it is a 16.667% rebate of sorts)
I think that rep doesn’t understand this feature on the new Premier card. It’s not supposed to be a points bonus at all. It’s supposed to be 20% savings in the purchase price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.