Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG Premier 20% rebate for Points Purchase

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
I pointed that out and the rep repeated his answer

I used an example with numbers (20% savings would be equal to a 25% bonus) and that a bonus is not a saving/rebate

and he said “I already answered and won’t respond to any more messages please call LHG”
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Please everyone write a PM to Chase getting an answer in writing
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by geo1005
There seems to be a separate 20% discount on C&P bookings promotion running right now. I suspect your 20% off was due to the promo and not the fact that you're a Premier card holder.
That makes sense. I am still not able to book a 4th night free booking.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

IHG just wrote me in an email
I reviewed the points purchase transaction you have provided below. It looks like the purchased points include 80% bonus points.

I would like to inform you that the 20% discount on points purchases benefit cannot be combined with any other offers. If there is a promotion in the market that is a better offer than 20%, member will receive that better offer. As such, the amount on your bill is correct.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by blitzen
I reviewed the points purchase transaction you have provided below. It looks like the purchased points include 80% bonus points.

I would like to inform you that the 20% discount on points purchases benefit cannot be combined with any other offers. If there is a promotion in the market that is a better offer than 20%, member will receive that better offer. As such, the amount on your bill is correct.
Send a message to Chase. From the Chase Website

"Save at least 20% on points purchases when you pay for those points with your IHG® Rewards Club Premier or Traveler Credit Cards. Point purchase amounts are subject to change by IHG® Rewards Club. These points are Non-Qualifying points and do not count towards Elite qualification. Upon completion of the points purchase, you agree that the total dollar amount will be immediately charged to your credit card. The cost for the points purchased is non-refundable"

No mention that 20% discount cannot be used on a buy point promotion.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

They mix rebate (save %) to bonus points - but those are not the same mechanism
save 50% on a new car isn’t buy 2 get one free
they are going the way of a class action as they come up with arguments that are not in the T&C

evryone write to Chase and IHG
Old Apr 27, 2018, 5:27 pm

They mix rebate (save %) to bonus points - but those are not the same mechanism
save 50% on a new car isn’t buy 2 get one free
they are going the way of a class action as they come up with arguments that are not in the T&C

evryone write to Chase and IHG
This exactly. If the existing offer was "80% rebate on IHG points" they would be within the rights of the ChaseT&C's, if only technically, to deny you the 20% rebate. With an 80% bonus though, I don't see how they have a leg to stand on.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 5:30 pm

If this “rule” holds up (which I don’t think it should), then this new card feature is virtually worthless — since IHG offer point purchase promotions so frequently.

It would be interesting to see someone with the new card do a test of this once the bonus promo is over and try to buy 1,000 points. Right now I think it’s a matter of the CSRs at both companies not being trained on this feature and neither company putting in place a process to handle this “20% savings” (yet anyway).
Old Apr 27, 2018, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

And IHG should not have any say anyway as the CC and my contract is with Chase
Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:57 am

And IHG should not have any say anyway as the CC and my contract is with Chase
Yes the 20% off is with Chase not IHG.

IHG will let you buy points with a point bonus with any credit card Visa, MC, AMEX, etc.

Nothing in Chase T&C seems to indicate that the 20% is only valid on standard or non bonus point purchases.

Contact Chase and please post back.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Already contacted Chase (first step) and that is what the answered
In order to know how 20% more reward points are awarded to you while you make purchase of these points, we request you to contact IHG at 1-800-421-5162 to know more information.
So then I dug deeper (contract with Chase / I'm referring to savings and not bonus points etc)and got the following
We responded to this request earlier. Because there is no further action required on the account, we will no longer respond to this specific inquiry. As mentioned in the previous message, please contact IHG at 1-800-421-5162

Last edited by blitzen; Apr 28, 2018 at 2:48 pm
Old Apr 28, 2018, 2:12 pm

Already contacted Chase (first step)
In order to know how 20% more reward points are awarded to you while you make purchase of these points, we request you to contact IHG at 1-800-421-5162 to know more information.
So then I dug deeper (contract with Chase / I'm referring to savings and not bonus points etc)and got the following
We responded to this request earlier. Because there is no further action required on the account, we will no longer respond to this specific inquiry. As mentioned in the previous message, please contact IHG at 1-800-421-5162 to know more information about this specific matter.
I'm confused, why did you email Chase about '20% more bonus points"

You email should be, hey i just bought ihg points and used your credit card that gives me a 20% discount off the price of the points.
How do I get the discount, is it a credit?

get the answer to that please.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

The non bold is the answer from Chase to my “Hey where is my 20% statement credit”
BTW “get the answer” .... what do you think I am doing? Write a PM to Chase yourself!
Old Apr 28, 2018, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by rebadc
I'm confused, why did you email Chase about '20% more bonus points"
blitzen didn’t. You’re attributing the runaround answers that blitzen has been receiving from Chase to blitzen.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:47 am
Original Poster

So I emailed IHG (why not) spelling out that I want my credit (I know Chase is on the hook, but something else needed to be taken care of 2 in 1 email)

Here is their answer:
Moreover, with regards to your 20% discount, I'm really sorry but as per the program guidelines, the benefit could not be combined with another promotion. Since you already received the 80% bonus points, I'm sorry if the 20% discount could no longer be added.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.