Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone shifting stays to IHG due to new Marriott program

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Could be opposite for me, a few IHG nights -> MR (SPG Brands) nights

Reason is existing MR-Gold gives no value during last year of linking MR Gold - SPG Gold (unlike reverse link SPG-Gold to MR Gold), despite MR-Gold needed 50nights being enough for SPG-Plat.

Come Aug2018, earned (current/old) MR-Golds become New MR-Platinum and then staying at SPG will give lounge+upgrades, although it is really just lounge access that I look for. Resulting in an opportunity that i can give a few IHG stays to the SPG brands during 4Q2018
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Super Mario
When a hotel changes a policy, it seems to be the end of the world here, and the grass is always greener on the other side.

In the end, it's all about what is important to you. To me, IHG is incredible accessible, affordable, and has a great return on rewards. 6 nights in a Holiday Inn Express this quarter will give me a free IC room just about anywhere I want. Show me all the point valuations and everything you want, in the end, it's an incredible value. Every Holiday Inn Express comes with the all-elusive breakfast unicorn which apparently will relieve endless stress. My last Holiday Inn that did not include it, cost $80 for the night and I was in a suite. Got a fantastic breakfast at a great little diner, spend $90 total, and I am still alive to tell the tale.

I doubt a lot of people are going to be happy switching to IHG from Mariott. IHG isn't the best at the luxury/lounge game if that is what you are looking for. Although they seem to be interested in expanding that business. I was also a little underwhelmed by their credit card option. I really like what American Express did with the Aspire. To me, that is the best Hotel card on the market right now vs my tried and true Sapphire Reserve.
Good summary. I like the new $89 Premier card though; the 4th night free is a creative for the lack of a better word and distinguishes itself from other cards, and the 10x encourages use for IHG stays.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by barracuda93
I normally mix some inspirational stays with some budget ones, both for the sake of budgeting and for the sake of actual needs (I objectively do not need IC or St Regis in many instances). I heard that IHG Platinum may give upgrades and lounge access at some properties, at least in Asia – and personally only Asia is relevant for me. I did get occasional upgrades with Gold myself, but never got lounge.
There are some bonus point packages that do post as elite-qualifying, often for a pretty modest difference in room rate:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...ng-points.html

If by 'Asia' you mean 'Greater China' then lounge access is supposed to be a Spire benefit for CPs and Hualuxe, and with some careful booking of the right bonus point rates, you can often hit Spire without that many nights.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2017/03/22/...g-kong-taiwan/

While IHG status is not nearly as hackable as it used to be for lack of a better term, there are still a few shortcuts and loopholes available.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
I always got 4 pm with Intercontinental and 2 pm with holiday inn
Likewise. I have never, ever, been denied a late checkout, and have easily asked 300 times at various hotels.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by beachmouse
There are some bonus point packages that do post as elite-qualifying, often for a pretty modest difference in room rate:
Thanks, I am aware of those, but seldom see 5000 packages showing up and even 3000 are available only occasionally (in my experience). I usually check for these regardless of status considerations, sometimes they actually make sense, allowing to buy points cheaper than 100% sales or typical "loopholes".

Originally Posted by beachmouse
If by 'Asia' you mean 'Greater China' then lounge access is supposed to be a Spire benefit for CPs and Hualuxe, and with some careful booking of the right bonus point rates, you can often hit Spire without that many nights.
In fact, for 99% Asia is South East Asia in my case.
Since I live in Taiwan, I don't need a hotel here, and China is not a typical place to go for me. Hong Kong – yes, but recently I just make 1 day transits if I want to buy something or need do some banking stuff, and leave by night or stay at HKG lounges and leave by morning
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Troopers
Good summary. I like the new $89 Premier card though; the 4th night free is a creative for the lack of a better word and distinguishes itself from other cards, and the 10x encourages use for IHG stays.
I don't hate it. I just wish there was a more premium option similar to the Aspire. If they are serious with getting into the more upscale business, they will need it.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Super Mario
I don't hate it. I just wish there was a more premium option similar to the Aspire. If they are serious with getting into the more upscale business, they will need it.
What would you like to see included in a premium option? If IHG wants a more upscale business, they need to start with their properties and benefits...not the CC.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:29 pm

Yes, I'll be staying with IHG more frequently as a consequence of the Marriott changes. I've never bothered much about status levels in the IHG program ( mostly because the benefits have been limp and ill-defined), but I do keep Platinum Ambassador.
The attraction with IHG for me is in the ease of earning points for redemption rather than status benefits.
My only hesitation is that I find the IHG app, and the IT system more broadly, a major nightmare/minefield/disaster zone.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:13 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by paolo64
My only hesitation is that I find the IHG app, and the IT system more broadly, a major nightmare/minefield/disaster zone.
Take a look at Accor and Radisson, and IHG IT system will look like a paradise.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by barracuda93
Take a look at Accor and Radisson, and IHG IT system will look like a paradise.
Ha! You're right about that. Quite amazing that these multi-billion companies can't to better.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All the changes (MR/SPG side + the IHG credit card side) are happening at the same time. I have never taken IHG seriously because of poor elite benefits, especially at IC without Ambassador. On top of that, their promotions are very greedy - the more you stay, the higher the goals.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by username
All the changes (MR/SPG side + the IHG credit card side) are happening at the same time.
And only a few months after the (Jan 18, 2018) boatload of changes to the Hilton credit cards (including dumping Citi and keeping only Amex and creating a credit card that gives HH Diamond status)..

And also about the same time that Club Carlson rebranded to Radisson Rewards (early March 2018)!

But the big difference is that (in general terms) the MR/SPG merger was announced long ago, and HH dumping Citi was announced last summer, while the IHG credit card changes (as well as the Radisson Rewards rebranding) came with hardly any advance notice.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by paolo64
Yes, I'll be staying with IHG more frequently as a consequence of the Marriott changes. I've never bothered much about status levels in the IHG program ( mostly because the benefits have been limp and ill-defined), but I do keep Platinum Ambassador.
The attraction with IHG for me is in the ease of earning points for redemption rather than status benefits.
You’re hesitating about staying in a hotel because you don’t like the app? Seriously? The room and location don’t matter much?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite

You’re hesitating about staying in a hotel because you don’t like the app? Seriously? The room and location don’t matter much?
Well, it probably sounds odd, I concede. But I like to shop around between the chains and sometimes I stop at SPG app and book instantly rather than go back through IHG ( there, if you select property from a list and open it, it's not easy to change the search filters or to go back to the list of other properties or to change the currency or....). SPG and Hyatt are infinitely easier from my perspective.
If I do persevere with IHG and book something, more often than not I don't get a reminder email or calendar notification of the forthcoming stay ( but invariably get them with SPG, HH, Hyatt)
I've liked most of the IHG properties in which I've stayed ( in an airport one now) and still see pretty good value in them, lousy benefits notwithstanding. IMO, the lower rates and good promotions compensate for lower benefits. Maybe those benefits 'firm up' higher up the IHG ladder but I'm only PLT Ambassador ( but even at that level there is recognition, including non-ICs).
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:03 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by scubaccr
Could be opposite for me, a few IHG nights -> MR (SPG Brands) nights

Reason is existing MR-Gold gives no value during last year of linking MR Gold - SPG Gold (unlike reverse link SPG-Gold to MR Gold), despite MR-Gold needed 50nights being enough for SPG-Plat.

Come Aug2018, earned (current/old) MR-Golds become New MR-Platinum and then staying at SPG will give lounge+upgrades, although it is really just lounge access that I look for. Resulting in an opportunity that i can give a few IHG stays to the SPG brands during 4Q2018
Same, though I've been SPG PLT and will requalify this year on the last 25 stay rule. SPG has always given me 4pm checkout even when I don't ask, vs 2pm at IHG (except IC's of course.) Plus, my travel is reduce starting 1/1/19 so I can't justify IHG Spire plus MR PLT. Most of my IHG stays going forward will be HI or HIX anyway so no real benefit, and most of those I've stayed at repeatedly so can usually count of getting the best room anyway. SO, since Marriott has as large a footprint for places I need to stay and many of the same price points, it's going to be MR going forward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.