Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beachmouse
Another quarter, another Accelerate. Answers to some Frequently Asked Questions below:

For newcomers to IHG promotions, note that Holiday Inn Express and Holiday Inn (including Holiday Inn Resorts) are two different brand categories for these things. If your dashboard says 'stay at a Holiday Inn Express' as one of the tasks and you stay at a Holiday Inn, it will NOT credit for the Holiday Inn Express task. (and vice versa)

For a task that says 'Stay X number of times at a Holiday Inn Express' (or Holiday Inn, Intercontinental, etc.) each stay must be at a different property for it to fully credit rather than staying at the same property multiple times.

An award stay only counts toward a task that specifically requires an award stay and will not count toward other tasks and night requirements for the purposes of the promotion. (Award stays do count toward general elite qualification, but that's outside this promotion)

'Redeem points' award nights only count for the 'redeem points' task and no other tasks. (example- an award night does not count toward 'Stay X number of nights')

At IHG, points + cash stays are simply points stays where you bought some of the points at the time of the reservation. Once you finish the reservation, a points + cash stay shows as a points stay. Thus points + cash stays only count for tasks where they are specified, and not other tasks.

Doing a points + cash booking and then cancelling it does NOT trigger a 'buy points' task completion. A 'buy points' task is a points transaction that is processed through points.com

The 'pay with your IHG credit card' task has typically been very slow to post. If it does within about two weeks of completing a stay, that's relatively quick, and it will often be several weeks beyond that, depending on when your statement closing date is and how IHG's system sweep is timed.

Some offers require booking within the promotion period in addition to staying during the promotion period.

Registration & dashboard link:

https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/offers/q2accelerate2018
Print Wikipost

Accelerate 1 May 2018 - 31 July 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Concerto
I have a vague fear that Q3 won't bring much for us here in Europe. But you never know.
This isn't Points Break, I don't think it's even possible to give crappy Accelerate for Europe as a whole

Buying an Ambassador membership is between me and getting a full dashboard, although I also have a task for 1,000 points for redeeming points (cheap download?). I just don't feel like shelling the money out for Ambassador because I don't stay at IC enough. Also, if I complete this dashboard, then I'll probably get crappy Accelerate offers for the next three or four quarters.
That's what I'm worried about. If I get unrealistic goals for Q3, then I'll just give it a rest for a bit and not book IHG unless it makes sense otherwise. I've done that before.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Tit, Accor Plat
Thanks Fabo.sk, I didn't know one could do that! I have submitted claims for all the hotel stays which did not work. I wonder why the app stays are not registering, though. Would be ideal if the whole thing just worked the way it should.
I didn't know one could do that either! I submitted a claim for "book with the app 3 times" and also "use IHG credit card once" and got a reply and the points credited within 24 hours. The dashboard is updated too. Strangely, however, on my "account activity" statement they are both showing as "offer win 0 pts".
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:57 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Tit, Accor Plat
I have a vague fear that Q3 won't bring much for us here in Europe. But you never know.

Buying an Ambassador membership is between me and getting a full dashboard, although I also have a task for 1,000 points for redeeming points (cheap download?). I just don't feel like shelling the money out for Ambassador because I don't stay at IC enough. Also, if I complete this dashboard, then I'll probably get crappy Accelerate offers for the next three or four quarters.
I also have that decision! Buying an Ambassador membership is between me and getting 16,100 points. I don't often stay at Intercontinentals, but the points might be useful. It would probably also give me a "renew Ambassador" task next year!
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by Andrew_G
I also have that decision! Buying an Ambassador membership is between me and getting 16,100 points. I don't often stay at Intercontinentals, but the points might be useful. It would probably also give me a "renew Ambassador" task next year!
$200 for 16,100+15,000=31,1k points doesn’t seem to be a bad deal at 6.5c per point given the other benefits
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: LH SEN**, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Andrew_G
I didn't know one could do that either! I submitted a claim for "book with the app 3 times" and also "use IHG credit card once" and got a reply and the points credited within 24 hours. The dashboard is updated too. Strangely, however, on my "account activity" statement they are both showing as "offer win 0 pts".
Check the point credit details for the 3rd stay that you booked with the app and the stay that you paid with your IHG credit card. You will likely find the extra point from the Accelerate promotion there. I find the 'offer win 0 pts' entry highly confusing and it took me a while to figure out that the Accelerate bonus points are now hidden in the account activity line that lead to completion of the respective Accelerate task.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by blitzen

$200 for 16,100+15,000=31,1k points doesn’t seem to be a bad deal at 6.5c per point given the other benefits
I thought the 15,000 extra points was only for renewals.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
This isn't Points Break, I don't think it's even possible to give crappy Accelerate for Europe as a whole

That's what I'm worried about. If I get unrealistic goals for Q3, then I'll just give it a rest for a bit and not book IHG unless it makes sense otherwise. I've done that before.
I think it's possible to simply give no Accelerate promotion for European members, as happened once as recently as 2 years ago if I remember correctly.

Giving it a rest definitely works, but it's a shame, because the collecting tasks can sometimes be quite fun.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cln
I made all bookings through the app and they posted exaclty 2 days after check out including accelerate bonuses. Positive experience for me
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Yes, use missing points form, it has a "Missing points from an offer" category.
Originally Posted by FFlash
Looks like I made a right choice to dump IHG. Not a single stay during Accelerate Q2 for me, and neither rest of year unless good promos. The good IHG years lasted but not forever as expected, so timing was right to jump the benny-ship
Well, here is the reply from CS concerning my app bookings. Pure genius, isn't it?

"Howe are you? Thank you for taking time to send us an email regarding your missing points from Accelerate Q2. I checked your account and it shows that your stay last 04 May 2018 was booked last 26 April 2018 and the promotion runs from 01 May 2018.

I wish to inform you that to qualify to this offer the booking date must the 01 May to 31 July 2018. I'm sorry for the confusion."

Totally understand and support anyone who has walked away from this mess of a hotel group. But I don't think they care one jot. And not do I. FWIW, I just let them know that. But the folk who are frankly more intelligent here will ask me why I waste my time with this. Well, the beauty of it is, I don't care either. If IHG happens to suit my plans, and if the promotion happens to (miraculously) credit, then fine. If not, then there are loads of other options. Really.

Last edited by Concerto; Jul 18, 2018 at 4:35 pm
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Well, here is the reply from CS concerning my app bookings. Pure genius, isn't it?

"Howe are you? Thank you for taking time to send us an email regarding your missing points from Accelerate Q2. I checked your account and it shows that your stay last 04 May 2018 was booked last 26 April 2018 and the promotion runs from 01 May 2018.

I wish to inform you that to qualify to this offer the booking date must the 01 May to 31 July 2018. I'm sorry for the confusion."

Totally understand and support anyone who has walked away from this mess of a hotel group. But I don't think they care one jot.
Sadly this 'quirk' (aka weird and annoying bit of T&Cs!) has been about since the early Accelerate promos. For some reason for the app task they need to be booked after the promo period properly starts - which is often slightly later than when it's announced.

From the Terms section of the mobile app task:
Number of bonus points listed above will be awarded after required number of Qualifying Stays are booked via the official IHG® App and consumed between 1 May 2018 and 31 July 2018 (both dates inclusive) at participating InterContinental®, Crowne Plaza®, Hotel Indigo®, Holiday Inn®, Holiday Inn Express®, Staybridge Suites®, Candlewood Suites®, Kimpton®, EVEN® or HUALUXE® hotels worldwide.
Additional highlighting mine, but it seems to be a strict book AND consume they require. As I say lots of other tasks only bother about consume and many other hotel chains are the same for theirs but annoyingly for the app task they seem to always have this annoying booking restriction.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I missed that one and thanks for pointing it out. What the hell, my other app bookings WERE made after the 1st May. Unless those idiots can't read a calendar (which really wouldn't surprise me). Isn't it all just slightly annoying, though?
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Yep, totally agree it's a really frustrating system! I've not bothered the last couple of times as my offers were totally unobtainable - this time it's actually decent and (assuming all stays and app bookings post correctly!!!) I'm on track to get the full amount.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat

Im rather suprised there has been no roll out of the next promo yet with only 11 days left

I thought the new one has been pretty much publized by this time in advance before
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
My bet is that it starts in September, after Labor Day in the U. S.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kauppias
Im rather suprised there has been no roll out of the next promo yet with only 11 days left

I thought the new one has been pretty much publized by this time in advance before
I thought it came out about a week before the end of the month and the potential beginning of a new promotion, a bit like Pointbreaks. So I will be looking and expecting something from next Monday. On the other hand, a break this time won’t be such a bad thing.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:14 am

I thought it came out about a week before the end of the month and the potential beginning of a new promotion, a bit like Pointbreaks. So I will be looking and expecting something from next Monday. On the other hand, a break this time won’t be such a bad thing.
Link for the current promo was live on April 12th and for the first one of the year it was live on December 7th.

My bet is on them having omitted the main holiday month from the main promotions and this taking a lot of potentially long stays out the mix.

They done something similar two years ago where they stopped the promotion the week before Christmas so stays over the holidays didn’t count so they have form for this type of thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.