Wiki Posts
Search

New information on hotel shooting

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood
Exclamation New information on hotel shooting

I tried to comment on the original post regarding the Holiday Inn shooting in Ann Arbor, but it had been closed (understandably). If the admins would prefer this conversation not take place I totally understand. I do hope the truth behind the shooting can come to light because the hotel needs to be held accountable for their negligence.

Most of the responses in the original thread were saying the hotel had no fault in the shooting but they did; the other guests in the hotel just don't know that yet.

I was a guest in the hotel that night and had originally been assigned the room directly across the hallway from the offending guests. We reported them THREE times within the 30-minutes we were across from them.
-Our first complaint was of a huge mess in the hall and the noise from their room (staff said the morning crew would take care of it)
-Our second complaint was for illegal activities we suspected (staff didn't show any interest in the report)
-Our third complaint was later confirming our suspicions of the illegal activity (again, staff disregarded our concern and did nothing)

The hotel staff had absolutely no interest in what we shared with them, so we requested a room change. They offered us two options on the same floor and we refused, knowing we wanted nothing to do with the people in that room. They moved us up one level to the fifth, thankfully.

We had planned to call the police to report what we had witnessed but we barely had time to move and get settled before the shooting took place.

The hotel staff were fully aware of the illegal activity taking place and did NOTHING. Holiday Inn claims they kept all the guests safe but we very easily could have been in the hallway at the time of the shooting caught between the shooters and their only exit in the stairwell.

Holiday Inn is LUCKY nobody else was hurt but they are absolutely NOT responsible for keeping us safe. In my opinion, their negligence allowed illegal activities to continue and in doing so, paved the way for the shooting to place on their property. HI was warned twice, and twice they were indifferent to the information.

Yes, I am absolutely thankful I wasn't physically injured.

In fact, I'm so thankful that every time we thanked God for safe travels this week and prayed for continued safety, it brought me to tears.

I'm so thankful, that while I was at my conference I took selfies with all my industry friends (I don't usually do selfies) because I was so acutely aware of how easily the story could have been different for me.

I'm so thankful for my safety, that I didn't even really start to process how terrifying of an ordeal it was until last night when out of nowhere I broke down sobbing uncontrollably, barely able to breathe.

So yes, we are absolutely thankful to be alive and physically well but that is not thanks to Holiday Inn; it is despite Holiday Inn's neglect.

Finally, to answer the original poster's question @ceieoc : When asked, the hotel offered to refund our fee completely. When they found out we booked through a third party site, they suggested we contact that website for a refund but gave us a coupon for one night free at that specific location (we won't be using it).
ceieoc likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:13 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Moderator Note:

I have accepted this post after some thinking about it. It is a different point of view than the other thread. While posting, please follow the guidelines of Flyertalk.

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum
Old Apr 13, 2018, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by gawa98
-Our first complaint was of a huge mess in the hall and the noise from their room (staff said the morning crew would take care of it)
-Our second complaint was for illegal activities we suspected (staff didn't show any interest in the report)
-Our third complaint was later confirming our suspicions of the illegal activity (again, staff disregarded our concern and did nothing)
IMHO totally inadequate level of detail provided for anyone else to form an opinion as to whether the hotel was negligent.

If you suspect illegal activities I think the Police are the people to call in the first instance. The Police would be more likely to respond to some one who first hand was reporting illegal activity than the front desk calling the police to say that someone else in the hotel had suspicions of illegal activity (and that term has a very broad range of possible circumstances).

Not saying that your conclusions aren't reasonable, just that your post doesn't provide enough specifics to agree or disagree with your conclusions

No doubt a distressing experience and glad you got through it relatively unscathed
Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3544quebec

If you suspect illegal activities I think the Police are the people to call in the first instance. The Police would be more likely to respond to some one who first hand was reporting illegal activity than the front desk calling the police to say that someone else in the hotel had suspicions of illegal activity (and that term has a very broad range of possible circumstances).
I am not sure we (or hotels for that matter) want people calling police on neighbours just because they suspect smth...

Unless there is an obvious threat hotel security is probably better as the first line of enforcement (which for holiday inn is prob maintanance guy )
turner32 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
OP - thank you for providing additional insights. Have you communicated your concerns about the hotel's responses to your complaints that night to IHG Corporate? And have you reported your observations of the activities that night to law enforcement?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 6:28 pm

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
IMHO totally inadequate level of detail provided for anyone else to form an opinion as to whether the hotel was negligent.
Couldn't have said it better myself. What does this phrase even mean - "illegal activities we suspected"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.