Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase IHG credit card annual free night certificate devaluation

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 9:44 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond; SPG/Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by Troopers
Per IHG Twitter, all certificates issued before May 1, 2019 will be unrestricted.
This is outstanding news! Now if I can just figure out how to book the Klimpton Hotel Monaco in Philadelphia...
Brendan likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by geo1005
Here is the text from the Twitter announcement:

"That’s right! IHG with Chase recently made the decision to award one more uncapped Anniversary Free Night to every IHG Rewards Club Select Cardholders. This means that their recently awarded or upcoming free night CAN be used at any IHG hotel worldwide."
This is great news as I will be getting another unrestricted cert in 10 months! Smart move by Chase/IHG as now I will keep the card at least thru 2020. ^
Brendan likes this.
Old May 5, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: SPG, HH, IHG, BA, DL
Great news!
Glad IHG and Chase honored the free unrestricted cert to everyone who got the older card.

Now that it's a keeper card, how many have you received an offer for the new card w/ 80k points ????

Will you keep both even though the new card has a restricted cert????
Old May 5, 2018, 8:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by michaelr
[...] the potential combination of 10% points rebate on award nights through the original card, 4th night free through the new one [...]
Has anyone confirmed that both benefits remain in effect? I understand that the marketing materials imply that they do, but my concern is that the 4th night free might somehow override or wipe out the 10% points rebate due to poor programming. I have not seen anyone report receiving the 10% rebate after receiving the 4th night free (either on the same stay or with the 10% stay following the 4th night free stay).
Old May 5, 2018, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by michaelr
I will hold on to it. Worst case I get a restricted cert which is still worth using for $49. As soon as the new $89 card came out, I applied for it as well. I have quite stash of IHG points, so the potential combination of 10% points rebate on award nights through the original card, 4th night free through the new one and another 10% back through my ambassador renewal option this year, makes the program currently unbeatable (to me).
So you have the old and new cards concurrently? THis is an interesting twist as i was told by a Chase rep that similar attempts were not possible with Marriott cards. ^
Old May 5, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dsquared37
So you have the old and new cards concurrently? THis is an interesting twist as i was told by a Chase rep that similar attempts were not possible with Marriott cards. ^
I have both IHG cards (the old $49 one and the new $89 one). With Marriott, it is one or the other (like Sapphire variations). The IHG cards can be held simultaneously.
dsquared37 likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat
How far in advance is the free night available for booking? I was going to try to combine last year's and this year's certs in the small overlap window. New cert should be available beginning around June 5, but nothing is showing yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.