Chase IHG credit card annual free night certificate devaluation

Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by swag
The real problem, of course, is that I wouldn't expect the credit card to keep up with points inflation. Certainly, Chase's own Marriott card hasn't. When I first got the Marriott card, the annual cat 5 was very useful for one night stays in Courtyard-type hotels even in major US cities. But those cat 5 hotels are all now cat 7 and 8, and the certificate remains cat 5.

There's still a decent selection of 40K IHG hotels, but will how many will still be <40K in 5 years?
I'd make that 1-2 years. Many of the properties I'd consider using the cert are barely bookable, as in they're already at 40k or just below. My AF is due next month and I'll be getting 1 more unrestricted cert since it will post this month. I'll probably keep it one more year and then see what the lay of the land looks like. Also gives me a year to burn off my IHG points.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: US, CO, PC, SPG, Hyatt
Not sure if this has been discussed before, but IHG's new free night page also has the following restriction on the free night certificate "...must be redeemed, and stay must be completed, within 12 months from date of issue." It used to be that you will just need to redeem the free night before the expiration date and it was often easy to pool two free nights together with some careful planing. Oh well...
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
I understand people may be upset, but everyone who signed up for this card knew this was coming sooner or later. IHG was (and still will be) paying good money to their cardholders in terms of a free night. There's no more $700/night rooms for $49 a year, but the card is still a good value, although I still prefer Hyatt over IHG.

Unfortunately shareholders rule the world, so companies will continue to find ways to cut a penny here and a penny there in an attempt to keep inflating the stock value, which includes reducing the cost of loyalty perks -- we've seen it with airlines, and now we see it with hotels.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

deleted as info already posted upthread.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:06 pm

I definitely would not pay $49 for any of the category 1-4 hotels available with the Marriott annual free night, which is why I cancelled it after one year. They are dreadful lot of suburban roadside inns, a long way from any where one would ever venture to on a holiday. Given the torrential devaluation at IHG over the last couple years, the prospect of decent 40k options is likely to go the same route. Hyatt still has a few decent options for their free night, which is why I keep that card instead of the Marriott card.

Status and sporadic free nights are the sole reason that I transitioned from booking whatever looked best in OTA's to booking almost exclusively with the big chains. If they eliminate the incentive, I will take my paltry 20-something annual nights back to the OTA world. The reality is that there is almost always a nicer and cheaper option in a better location in all major cities that I am missing out on by being loyal to the big brands. There are so many nice new properties out there right now and AirBnB continues to drive rates down even further. The big chain hotels are often overpriced and more impersonal, so I would not even consider them if there was not some reward for loyalty for the non-road warrior leisure travelers. My loyalty may not be nearly as profitable as the ubiquitous lifetime diamonds lurking around FT, but there are a lot more losers like me than there are expense account divas in this world, especially as technology continues to make traveling for work increasingly obsolete.
SoonerRed likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:36 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
I understand people may be upset, but everyone who signed up for this card knew this was coming sooner or later. IHG was (and still will be) paying good money to their cardholders in terms of a free night. There's no more $700/night rooms for $49 a year, but the card is still a good value, although I still prefer Hyatt over IHG.
Keep in mind, however, that the reimbursement rate for many award nights- even at ICs and Kimptons, is below $49... and then account for breakage and for people that redeem them at HIXs with reimbursement rates between $10-$15, and clearly the economics must have worked in IHG’s favor for many years.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Tony300S
I agree and think the new "Top Tier" card will be even a better value given the perks! I'm about to churn this IHG card in Sept AFTER my anniversary night posts.

New $89 annual fee card:
*80,000 IHG Rewards points for a sign-up bonus
*10X points per dollar spent at IHG properties
*10,000 bonus points after spending $20,000 on the card annually
*4th night free on award stays
*Anniversary free night at eligible hotels
*Platinum Elite status
*Global Entry/TSA PreCheck credit every four years
*20% discount on point purchases
https://thepointsguy.com/news/ihg-fr...00000206867312
As it stands, I'll probably keep my current IHG Mastercard, since I can find enough 40,000 point hotels to justify the $49 fee. Chase certainly doesn't owe me anything and isn't required to tailor a card for my personal needs, but I would have a tough time justifying the $89 fee for the new premium card.

I already have the Chase Sapphire Reserve, so the TSA/Global Entry Credit won't directly benefit me, unless I decide to use the credit to pay for a friend or relative.
Granted, the CSR has a much higher annual fee of $450, but after the $300 annual travel credit is deducted, and other benefits are factored in, the CSR has enough value to justify keeping it.

10X IGH points at IGH hotels is only worth slightly more than 3 CSR Points, and you are giving up travel flexibility and potential transfer partners.

4th Night free benefit could potentially be valuable, but only until I exhaust by IHG points balance.

Both cards offer Platinum Elite Status, so that is a wash.

The primary benefit has always been the anniversary night, and it'll be easier to redeem, knowing that it is only costing me $49 vs. $89. I am sure that once you upgrade, you will prohibited from going back to the $49 card.

If they wanted to make it more tempting, they should offer 5000 bonus points and/or the opportunity to use the anniversary night at hotels up to 50,000 points.

Realistically, I am sure Chase doesn't care if you are one that barely puts any spend on the card.

I also have the Radisson Card from US Bank, and, while it has also been devalued recently, for $20,000 spend, I can get 2 free nights at any USA property, in addition to the substantial points I would earn. For anyone that is willing to put $20,000 spend spend on the new IGH card, 10,000 bonus points seems pretty paltry.
SoonerRed likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
My records show I opened my account on April 6th. So I hopefully will get one more year without the 40k point cap.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by lkar
Legally, I think Chase/IHG is actually on shaky ground not allowing those who applied for the card and received it before the change at least the first anniversary night at any IHG that has standard room availability. Even now, the Chase website has the following language: "After your account anniversary date, you’ll receive an Anniversary Free Night at any of the over 5,000 IHG® hotels worldwide.1 There are no blackout dates and no restrictions. Look for your free night on your IHG Rewards Club account."

The footnote has some reservation language but nowhere suggests that "any of of the over 5,000 IHG hotels worldwide" means "only those at 40,000 points," and I'm not immediately seeing anything that says they can take away the benefit at any time.

Maybe because there is no spend requirement, they can get away with it. But this is a pretty shady business practice to take the first annual fee and not provide the anniversary free night under the terms used to induce people to apply. I applied in October and think this is pretty lame. I actually might consider a CFPB complaint just to see what happens.
I signed up in June of last year, so I'm one of those. I'm also one of the last people to makes complaints about a business that you see all of the time like "greed, bait and switch, never going there again". This one rubs me the wrong way though if this is how it plays out. Let me be clear, I think it makes complete business sense lowering the value of the free night. How many people are using it for a ridiculous room like $500+ a night, then not doing any other business with IHG? Is a 40,000 point room, platinum status, and 10% rebate for $49 a good deal? Sure is. However, I never got what I signed up for. I already was planning on how to use it, and I can't now. No, I wasn't going to Bora Bora. I hope there is some sort of transition period or options for previous members.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
This explains why I stopped seeing balance transfer options on my current IHG card - the card is likely fading away.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:58 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Yep!

I got the letter today in the mail from Chase informing me of this change!
Old Apr 2, 2018, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by jmd001
My records show I opened my account on April 6th. So I hopefully will get one more year without the 40k point cap.

You should be good to go for another year.

it's still a decent card but now the incentive to hold it for more than say 18 months is less, Cancel @ 18 months, churn it at 25 months

Last edited by flyer4512; Apr 3, 2018 at 12:29 am
Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Goodbye Chase. I am pretty sure they won’t miss me as I never use the card except to collect the free night. I have no use for a 40k property ( none left where I need them) so that will be $49 saved. Glad I got one more unrestricted night just Deposited.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Tony300S
I agree and think the new "Top Tier" card will be even a better value given the perks! I'm about to churn this IHG card in Sept AFTER my anniversary night posts.
seems like a better value than the current card for another $30 a year....i'm going to hold on till they officially announce it before considering a switch....
Tony300S likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:04 am

Does this mean the certificate use is limited to a room that's going for 40,000 pts or less?
In other words, if you find a property where the standard room is 60,000 all points with some points + cash option, you cannot use the certificate towards points + cash?

I suppose there're plenty of properties in US going for 40,000 pts or less. But I really don't travel for leisure in the US, and there's really no IHG property abroad that I'd stay at where you'd find anything for 40,000 pts or less. Only exception is Jpn, where I sometimes stay at ANA CP. But, for some reason, ANA CP's don't seem to like to put their rooms up for reward stay most of the time. All in all, this becomes a useless card, unless 40,000 pts can be used towards points + cash.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.