Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase IHG credit card annual free night certificate devaluation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:29 pm

Isn't it a night for $100 since they will charge the next annual fee at anniversary too?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yeah, but who travels to HK for one free hotel night? If the free night induces someone to book several additional rates at the going rate, the hotel still wins. [Yes, people on FT would indeed do a MR to HK for one night or do mattress runs, but even those mattress runs tend to be at closer and cheaper cities.
I flew to HK last month (March) for a birthday weekend. I stayed at the HK Intercontinental and redeemed my free night to go along with two additional nights that I booked. The free night was only good for what seemed like a 'base' level room. I was thrilled when I arrived and they'd upgraded my reservation to 3 nights in a harbor view suite, which included the free night.

This was my first experience redeeming the free night. Now, I don't think I'm the typical customer but I'm definitely disappointed with the change.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bluestrudels
Sigh... I literally just signed up for the card for me and my husband, following the advise of that very same blogger that the chances of this benefit being grandfathered is very high. Maybe in future, I'll think twice before jumping in the bandwagon and listen to these aggressive bloggers trying to push for quotas/commission for these CC referrals.
I hate the points guys because of how manipulative they have gotten with pushing their referrals, which is why I always just go directly to the site rather than use their referrals.

Originally Posted by lkar
Ahh, I didn't see that. I'm not looking to be a trailblazer on this one. I'll probably just sit back and see what happens. I can probably still do well with a 40,000 point hotel at $49, but this is sort of a lame thing to do for those who applied in the last year and paid the annual feel with a certain understanding.
Yeah, there's still a lot of good mid tier hotels (e.g Holiday Inns) that are still pretty expensive during peak times. Still a great deal to get a $200/night stay for $49, especially after seeing that the $89 card will also have the same limitation.

The only reason I will still get the new IHG is for the $80k bonus, but will cancel after the first year.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
$49/yr for a 40K/night room is still a bargain. I'll keep it.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
The real problem, of course, is that I wouldn't expect the credit card to keep up with points inflation. Certainly, Chase's own Marriott card hasn't. When I first got the Marriott card, the annual cat 5 was very useful for one night stays in Courtyard-type hotels even in major US cities. But those cat 5 hotels are all now cat 7 and 8, and the certificate remains cat 5.

There's still a decent selection of 40K IHG hotels, but will how many will still be <40K in 5 years?
Brendan and 84fiero like this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by bluestrudels
I'm on the same page as you here. But if you look into the terms and condition clauses. Chase did have this line written. So technically they are covered legally, and are not obliged to comply against your case. Maybe they might provide a 1 off redemption out of goodwill if we complaint, but the policy definitely can't be grandfathered. But let me know your outcome of their resolution when they respond back to you on secure messages.

Anniversary Free Night will be available for redemption on your account renewal anniversary date each year. (“Anniversary” is the date that is twelve months after your enrollment date, and the same date each twelve months thereafter.) Chase may close your credit card account or suspend your right to use your credit card account, at any time for any reason, including account inactivity. You must maintain a current, valid email address in your Member Profile and opt in to receive IHG® Rewards Club Credit Card Offers and Promotions e-communications in order to receive communications regarding your Anniversary Free Night. Anniversary Free Night is valid at hotels in the IHG® Rewards Club Family of Brands and must be redeemed, and stay must be completed, within 12 months from date of issue. Anniversary Free Night is valid for one standard room night rate and applicable taxes only. Rooms are limited, subject to prior sale and availability of allocated resources and may be unavailable during high demand periods. All reservations that will utilize the Anniversary Free Night can be booked online at ihgrewardsclub.com or by calling the IHG® Rewards Club Service center at 1-877-318-5890. Anniversary Free Night may not be transferred, extended beyond the expiration date, redeemed for cash, or re-credited for points. Individual hotel’s cancellation policy applies to the use of the Anniversary Free Night. Cancellation fees apply if cancellation is made outside of the hotel’s cancellation time period.Anniversary Free Night rules and regulations are subject to change.Chase is not responsible for offer fulfillment.
Unless there are federal regulations against it. I think there may be relative to folks who haven't had the card a year yet. Although maybe because it's an anniversary, it isn't - but that kept Barclay from giving folks upgrades from Red to Silver originally because the Silver didn't inlcude the 10k anniversary points.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:06 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
IHG has set up a new page where the EXCLUDED properties are listed:
www.ihg.com/anniversaryfreenight

UNFORTUNATELY, the card art that appears is of the new Premier card, so it looks like that card's annual free night will also be restricted to the 40,000 point level
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:12 pm
dw

Originally Posted by swag
The real problem, of course, is that I wouldn't expect the credit card to keep up with points inflation. Certainly, Chase's own Marriott card hasn't. When I first got the Marriott card, the annual cat 5 was very useful for one night stays in Courtyard-type hotels even in major US cities. But those cat 5 hotels are all now cat 7 and 8, and the certificate remains cat 5.

There's still a decent selection of 40K IHG hotels, but will how many will still be <40K in 5 years?
Absolutely... for now there are several city center HIXs in large cities here in the US that are at 35k or 40k (i.e. Philadelphia, Boston), but I'd imagine that in just two years those will all have moved up to at least 45k and we'll be left with (a) smaller town HIs and HIXs in the US (b) airport properties and (c) the remaining sweet spot of certain international properties, such as in Southeast Asia.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dw
IHG has set up a new page where the EXCLUDED properties are listed:
www.ihg.com/anniversaryfreenight

UNFORTUNATELY, the card art that appears is of the new Premier card, so it looks like that card's annual free night will also be restricted to the 40,000 point level
That list has a lot of properties that are not above 40k. Not sure if this is an accident or if its an impending devaluation.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:32 pm
dw

Originally Posted by 1353513636
That list has a lot of properties that are not above 40k. Not sure if this is an accident or if its an impending devaluation.
Good catch. It looks like a number of properties currently at 40k (or maybe all of them?) are on the list. Hopefully when the list was generated someone filtered incorrectly and, knowing IHG, nobody checked carefully.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tony300S
I agree and think the new "Top Tier" card will be even a better value given the perks! I'm about to churn this IHG card in Sept AFTER my anniversary night posts.

New $89 annual fee card:
*80,000 IHG Rewards points for a sign-up bonus
*10X points per dollar spent at IHG properties
*10,000 bonus points after spending $20,000 on the card annually
*4th night free on award stays
*Anniversary free night at eligible hotels
*Platinum Elite status
*Global Entry/TSA PreCheck credit every four years
*20% discount on point purchases

https://thepointsguy.com/news/ihg-fr...00000206867312
is this list the features and cost of the new yet to be released top tier “Rewards Club Premier” card?

I received the snail mail letter today and it mentioned the new card is “coming soon”.

as to the devaluation - too bad, but not a shock. Free nights at the Willard, Palazzo, etc we’re insane values. It is still a good deal.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:16 pm

Pretty much every Intercontinental. Well, guess I am canceling the card. It'd be nice if they refunded the original annual fee, as I've got nothing in exchange for that.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Very disappointing -- and just rubs in the fact that the maximum redemption level at one point was 40,000 -- then 50,000 -- then 60,000, now 70,000. Devaluation on the high-end, while effectively eliminating half of the IC hotels from the free night cert ... a double disappointment.

This is not an exciting new improvement.

This announcement was not unexpected -- but it was expected that they would offer a second card with 10x earnings at ICHG hotels ... no such luck.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:26 pm

It's still a good value CC. But, it continues a slow degradation of benefits.

I will keep my cash back CC cards. So far they haven't found a way to take back the cash I have earned and spent. IHG? We will see what the future holds.

Last edited by MrTemporal; Apr 2, 2018 at 5:46 pm
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MrTemporal
It's still a good value CC. But, I am worried that this is the start of a slow degradation of benefits.
When they reach the tipping point simply cancel. The free night alone is worth $49 even if the card is kept in a drawer.

Keep in mind in the past several years they added features to this card - 10% reward rebates and Plat status as examples. Maybe the Forex as well.

The deval is definitely “the Party is over”. But what a party it was for so long....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.