Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase IHG credit card annual free night certificate devaluation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2018, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedElmo
That’s messed up! I signed up for this card July 2017. I never even got any annual cert and now I will never get to enjoy a nice IHG hotel.
It depends on your definition of "nice". There are some nice Staybridge Suites hotels IMHO, and they're often under 40k.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by sdsearch
It depends on your definition of "nice". There are some nice Staybridge Suites hotels IMHO, and they're often under 40k.
I suppose. But my definition of nice is Intercontiential in Hong Kong or Venetian in Las Vegas. Or Intercontiential in Paris. Not a extended stay place.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I had the card three years, used it at
IC Bangkok
Crowne Plaza Hong Kong Causeway Bay
IC Hong Kong - I guess they must see a lot of these redemptions

In the new regime, IC Bangkok still works, so do the ICs in Seoul. Neither is an "extended stay place" or (in my opinion) a "not so desirable non-tourist location". I understand that some people only stay, or want to stay, at the high end hotels in expensive cities and the card no longer offers a benefit worth having. And I understand that many cardholders are only interested in U.S. hotels. But I can easily find hotels that would cost $200 a night that I want to stay in, so its a keeper for me. I like the idea of getting the new $89 card too, if I can have both, to get a multiple night stay.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 2:11 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Originally Posted by Keyser
i used the free night in nyc every year....now i'm pretty much restricted to one property in midtown & a couple in downtown....none of them any good....this really sucks....
Agree! Used mine previously at the IC Times Square, Crowne Plaza TS and coming up in June at the Palazzo Las Vegas.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Let's call a spade a spade - As much as I hate the change, having the card for 8-9 years, and using the certificate almost exclusively at the IC Times Square for NYC visit (one for me and one for the better half). I still see some value in the card.

While NYC is out of the question, some hotels in other places I frequently visit are within the range, and their nightly price is much more than the $49. Up to now I would have never used the certificate in them, but now the game had changed. And if I'm completely honest I rarely stay in IHG hotels unless it is with the certificate, point breaker, or using the Ambassador BOGO certificate (wonder how long that one would last).

We all also know that the card was (and still is) a loosing proposition for Chase. Who on his right mind would use this card for anything than IHG stay (and even that is doubtful if you have CSR). Frankly, I almost never use the card. It is there only for the certificate. So will I need to re-evaluate my NYC strategy? Sure, but I still have some value in the card. Having IHG, Hyatt and Marriott cards it does give too many second tier options, so one of them will have to go - but it would probably be the Marriott one, once the dust settle over the merger.

Now, if Chase would allow to have also the new $89 card in addition to the current card and do a complete double dip (both 10% rebate and 4th night free on points) and two free night certificates a year - that is something I would consider doing.
TravelinSperry and Tony300S like this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 2:36 pm
Suspended

I have used this card for IC Boston, IC NYC, IC HKG. Yes, the devaluation stinks. However, I can still easily get value of the $49 annual fee free night. It will still stay at my drawer.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 2:39 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
Now, if Chase would allow to have also the new $89 card in addition to the current card and do a complete double dip (both 10% rebate and 4th night free on points) and two free night certificates a year - that is something I would consider doing.
You could always just go with the Ambassador 10% rebate renewal option and the new Premier IHG card... that could be a winning combo too especially if you plan on a BIG redemption year.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Cool

Originally Posted by puchong
Time to freeze the IHG card: Pay the $49 annual fee, use the free night somewhere and then forget about the card. Even if I am tempted to stay in a IHG (which I am not), I would do much better with a cash-back card than accumulating more devalued IHG points. Fat lot of good this move will do to Chase / IHG.
Better yet, you'll get your Anniversary Free Night Award a few weeks before the AF is billed! My award comes ~Sep. 12, while my AF is billed on Oct. 1. And the Award is mine/ yours to keep even if you cancel & refuse to pay the AF !
Old Apr 4, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by Tony300S
You could always just go with the Ambassador 10% rebate renewal option and the new Premier IHG card... that could be a winning combo too especially if you plan on a BIG redemption year.
I already have that - so that would be triple dipping ;-)
Tony300S likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 4:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
I already have that - so that would be triple dipping ;-)
given their IT systems my guess is yes!

i only use the card if a paid stay with that card is required to complete an accelerate type promo. Actually my greatest use if it was as an ATM at 2% Interest.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:55 pm

Ok, so there are blog posts out there stating that "those who applied for the card Jan-Apr 2018" will still get an "unrestricted" free night. What about those who applied in 2017? (Trying to decide whether to cancel now or wait it out)
Edit: oh, looks like we are SOL. I find this ironic, given the reply that I received from Chase CS:
Please know this change is not only for you or selected customers but is for all our customers. To make exceptions would not be equitable to our other card members.
At least that reply was logical. Now they selected an arbitrary group of customers who will not be affected, and others (like myself, who applied in November 2017) who will. This may be technically legal, but it's both unfair and unethical.

Last edited by br2k; Apr 4, 2018 at 8:22 pm
Old Apr 4, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AS MVP, HH Gold, FPC Premier, Hyatt Diamond, CC Gold, TR Diamond
If Chase/IHG will grandfather (grandparent) one anniversary award for all of us in our first year (since Mar 2017, not just since Jan 1, 2018), it will go a long ways toward restoring good will and respect and integrity. I remember Club Carlson did a similar "mea culpa" when it did an overnight change that enraged loyalists... and allowed a one year grace period before full implementing the new rules. I am one of those who first applied in July 2017 so have yet to get the 1st anniversary award that I was promised. Feels like "bait and switch" even tho they have a fine print gotcha in the Terms and Conditions. Here is what I have done. (I'm not on Twitter...otherwise I would do it there too.) I used Chase Secure Message while logged into my account. Told them my situation and my disappointment. I got a standard boiler plate reply. I followed up with another message reiterating my specific situation. I got in my reply this message: "Although no immediate changes can be made to the eligible properties for the Anniversary Free Nights benefit, on your behalf, I will ensure to direct your feedback to the appropriate area for consideration.” So I suggest we all keep posting on social media AND contacting them directly by twitter, Chase Secure Message, and whatever other means seems useful.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 9:39 pm

I certainly let them know what I think about this in a sternly worded (yet polite and concise) message

That said, based on this experience I can no longer trust Chase to keep the conditions and benefits of their award programs. I have several active Chase cards, yet there are plenty of other options to get cash back, bonus points etc. It may not be much of a loss to them, but I will make a point of closing all these cards. If losing several hundred $$ (or whatever they make in merchant fees from my annual spend) is worth them partial savings on 1 night at a hotel, then so be it.
ARR72 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by br2k
I certainly let them know what I think about this in a sternly worded (yet polite and concise) message

It may not be much of a loss to them, but I will make a point of closing all these cards.
Seriously?
Old Apr 5, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
So, we have a category of cardholders that will receive the unrestricted night based on application date, 1/1/18-4/5/18. How is this group different from those that applied 3/17-1/1/18 and have never received an anniversary night yet? I smell a lawsuit. Hehe.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.