Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase IHG credit card annual free night certificate devaluation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
My guess is it can only be used on 40k or less hotels. That would make it on par with Marriott’s free cert T&C (Cat 1-5)

The new top tier card benefits do not mention the 10% reward night rebates. That would keep me on the $49 card.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 4:35 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
So essentially, the certificate is only good at a Holiday Inn Express. Hmmm
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
My guess is it can only be used on 40k or less hotels.
That is the way I understand it BUT I think they are limiting even some 40k hotels from redemptions based on what has been posted. I guess we need to wait and see if the "exclusions" list is correct or if the inclusion of a lot of the 40k properties was an error.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: Korean Air Morning Calm, Hertz President's Circle, Avis Preferred Plus and IHG Spire Ambassador
There are two Intercontinentals (35K) in Seoul which will still be eligible under the new limit. Lowest cat rooms average $200.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
I understand people may be upset, but everyone who signed up for this card knew this was coming sooner or later. IHG was (and still will be) paying good money to their cardholders in terms of a free night.
I certainly did not, perhaps ignorance on my part, but not "everyone".
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:13 am

NYC

All NYC hotels that are at 40,000 points are on the list, so they have essentially blacklisted NYC...
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Is there any indication that having the new higher-cost Premier card will give you an expanded list of eligible hotels? For example, if you go to the Premier level card, then you can use your free night at all hotels-- essentially raising the price of the current benefit from $49 to $89?

If the new card doesn't get you an expanded list of hotels, I would not see the value proposition.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by br2k
I'm not really sure how you didn't realize the potential of nerfing of a card that offered an unrestricted free night for $49/year.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:43 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Quote:
I understand people may be upset, but everyone who signed up for this card knew this was coming sooner or later. IHG was (and still will be) paying good money to their cardholders in terms of a free night.

mikesyr18 is probably coming from a business perspective, that it's inevitable changes like these are imminent.
But at the same time, as a consumer, we would expect announcements (especially Chase) to slowly roll out the changes, at least 12 months so all recent applicants can at least enjoy this benefit for another year, instead of making it effective immediately in a matter of 1-2 months. My guess is this is more of how IHG does business instead of chase, will says a lot on how they value their rewards program and loyalty members compared to the other big chain programs.
mikesyr18 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:45 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Is there any indication that having the new higher-cost Premier card will give you an expanded list of eligible hotels? For example, if you go to the Premier level card, then you can use your free night at all hotels-- essentially raising the price of the current benefit from $49 to $89?

If the new card doesn't get you an expanded list of hotels, I would not see the value proposition.
My guess is highly unlikely - by doing that it might meant more work for them to program issuing the difference of cert. And base on historical records, it would seem IHG would just standardize 1 type redemption cert across the board to save work load on their end.
Hey but then again, these are all speculations until the actual announcements are released.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by bluestrudels
mikesyr18 is probably coming from a business perspective, that it's inevitable changes like these are imminent.
But at the same time, as a consumer, we would expect announcements (especially Chase) to slowly roll out the changes, at least 12 months so all recent applicants can at least enjoy this benefit for another year, instead of making it effective immediately in a matter of 1-2 months. My guess is this is more of how IHG does business instead of chase, will says a lot on how they value their rewards program and loyalty members compared to the other big chain programs.
Many of the big chains have devalued their rewards. Starwood is next. Mark these words.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:41 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Originally Posted by 355F1
Yep!

I got the letter today in the mail from Chase informing me of this change!
Same here in NJ.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:05 am

I'm not really sure how you didn't realize the potential of nerfing of a card that offered an unrestricted free night for $49/year.
I take promises at a face value. If that's what was promised, than that is what I expect to be delivered. Perhaps I have too much faith in people/institutions. That said, life would be pretty hard if I expected everyone to not fulfill their promises.

BTW, wrote to Chase, expressing the view that what they (or IHG) are doing is, while perhaps legal, is neither fair nor ethical. Got a canned reply:
Hello br2k,

I am glad to review your inquiry regarding the change in
the free anniversary night on your IHG® Rewards Club
Credit Card account.

I understand your upset with the change in the anniversary
free night. Please know this change is not only for you or
selected customers but is for all our customers. To make
exceptions would not be equitable to our other card
members. I hope that you can understand our position.

br2k, if you would like to speak to someone about the
change, you can call IHG® Rewards Club at 1-877-318-5890.
They will be happy to assist you about the Anniversary
Free Night.

We appreciate your business and thank you for being a
Chase customer.
I find it curious that they prepared a reply for those who ask for an exception (I did not ). In any case, their argument of "we screwed everyone so you are not special either" is not particularly convincing. But now that we've had that discussion, I can safely cancel the card.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
I take promises at a face value. If that's what was promised, than that is what I expect to be delivered. Perhaps I have too much faith in people/institutions. That said, life would be pretty hard if I expected everyone to not fulfill their promises.
I really hope you start reading the terms of your credit card agreements from here forward. Nowhere does it say, "we promise," anything when it comes to rewards and benefits. In fact, I can personally, 100% tell you it states something along the lines of "we may change the rewards program at any time."

Originally Posted by bluestrudels
... as a consumer, we would expect announcements (especially Chase) to slowly roll out the changes, at least 12 months so all recent applicants can at least enjoy this benefit for another year, instead of making it effective immediately in a matter of 1-2 months. ...
A fair point here, like with what Citi did with the Prestige.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I certainly wouldn't think that anyone that has been around here for a while is surprised by this development or the fact that we all knew the gravy train would end at some time. I do think the way it was handled is not the best way to keep customers happy and most of all I am surprised that their new "higher-end" credit card offering is going to have the same 40k redemption restriction. I think a lot of people would have been ok with paying a higher annual fee to continue to get the certificates that wouldn't be category restricted. In the end it is what it is and I'll be closing my account when the annual fee becomes due. Sad really as I used to give IHG several nights a year but with the devaluations and now this change I will be clearing out my account and passing on any future stays with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.