Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

After a shooting at a Holiday Inn, should guests be compensated for the lock-down?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

After a shooting at a Holiday Inn, should guests be compensated for the lock-down?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Charter Member Delta Diamond Medallion, Lifetime AA Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hilton & Marriott Gold

Last night at the Ann Arbor, Michigan Holiday Inn, there was a 3 a.m. shooting injuring a man. Metro SWAT surrounded and entered the hotel, then woke everyone up. Guests were forced to leave their rooms for a few hours to be locked-down in a hotel conference room. No one could leave the hotel. During the lock-down, Holiday Inn provided complimentary coffee and orange juice as it was too early for their scheduled hotel breakfast service. Since this hotel shooting was not the fault of Holiday Inn, should guests staying overnight be billed the full price for their room or should guests receive some extra IHG points for their inconvenience? Read more: 1 injured in shooting at Ann Arbor hotel MLive.com
Old Mar 30, 2018, 11:45 pm

I know that when I was staying at The Luxor at the time of the Las Vegas mass shooting and was not able to get back to the hotel because of a lockdown I ended up spending the night playing Video Poker at The Rio and it didn't enter my mind that I could/should/might get some sort of compensation from MGM resorts for my minor inconvenience
jrpallante likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:14 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
I can't see a reason for compensation.
The hotel wasn't doing the inconveniencing.
jrpallante likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 1:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Neither. Move on from compensation obsession and be happy it wasn’t more serious.
jrpallante and MichaelBaku like this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Not from the hotel.

If you have travel insurance, you can certainly file a claim.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by garykung
Not from the hotel.

If you have travel insurance, you can certainly file a claim.
Claim for loss of sleep? Being held hostage? Being served bad coffee?
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Charter Member Delta Diamond Medallion, Lifetime AA Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hilton & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Claim for loss of sleep? Being held hostage? Being served bad coffee?
I think the loss of sleep for guests checking in at 11 pm with an unexpected 3 am wake up call, then being locked in a conference room with other guests might be an acceptable reason for guests to request compensation from paying full price for their Holiday Inn hotel room.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by ceieoc
I think the loss of sleep for guests checking in at 11 pm with an unexpected 3 am wake up call, then being locked in a conference room with other guests might be an acceptable reason for guests to request compensation from paying full price for their Holiday Inn hotel room.
Yes but how is this relevant to an insurance claim which is what I was clearly referring to having quoted the previous post about claiming on insurance
Old Mar 31, 2018, 7:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Not HI’s fault. Maybe you should sue the local police force for trying to protect you? Honestly...
drphun and MichaelBaku like this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 7:51 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
i think you’re overreacting to this and that the hotel owes you nothing.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Absolutely not, it’s rediculous that the mind set is , I was not shot so thanks for handling the situation Mr. Hotel, now I want free stuff
turner32 likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:47 am
Suspended

It is this kind of 'compensation' post that gives me a bad impression of some FT posters. It seems like any excuse at all to try and claim 'compensation' is considered fair game by some people.

If this incident had happened at your neighbour's house and the Police had told you to evacuate your house until they gave the all clear, who would you have tried to get compensation from then? Yourself?

Ridiculous.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If really that insistent on getting compensation, sue the person who did the shooting. Hotel owes nothing, police owe nothing.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'd say the compensation was that OP wasn't shot. Agree w/ others it's not the hotel's fault.

Cheers
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Yes but how is this relevant to an insurance claim which is what I was clearly referring to having quoted the previous post about claiming on insurance
I do not see travel insurance covering this situation. I was recommending that a guest staying at this Holiday Inn could request consideration from the front desk on reducing their room rate for the guest inconvenience. After all, guests expected to sleep in their room and not stay awake overnight locked a conference room. I do note in an apparent attempt to help prevent drug deals and fights with young adults, this Holiday Inn has a policy of not renting rooms to adults between the age of 18-21 years-old.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.