Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

After a shooting at a Holiday Inn, should guests be compensated for the lock-down?

After a shooting at a Holiday Inn, should guests be compensated for the lock-down?

Old Mar 31, 2018, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ceieoc
A hotel guest was discussing the shooting at a local coffee shop yesterday. I live here and was not a guest. To clarify, I am not tge person requesting hotel compensation.
So why bring this up?
Old Mar 31, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Different countries have different risks. Given that it’s easier for a teenager to get an assault rifle than a beer you need to take this into consideration before travelling there.
JamesBigglesworth likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Charter Member Delta Diamond Medallion, Lifetime AA Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hilton & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
So why bring this up?
The person was asking customers for advice. It is rare to have a hotel shooting at an Ann Arbor hotel.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Moderator, can we please lock this embarrassing nonsense? Alert sent.
Survival has become very underestimated. Chances are the hotel will extend (as a gesture) some level of compensation, but to actively pursue it???
Old Mar 31, 2018, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
A shooting and demands for a satsifaction guarantee. That country is nuts.
we all know that when a judge could force coffee shop to display cancer warning when in fact there is no concrete scientific evidence to support that...the nutty flavor is from the core to the bottom in the society. I blame the lawyers.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This thread has gone off the rails. It's not a debate about gun control or Prop. 65 labeling of coffee in California. It's a question posed regarding compensation, albeit a question which should not have to be asked,
Old Mar 31, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by Often1
Why anybody would expect the hotel to compensate them is beyond me and is exactly the kind of person nobody wants to do business with.
Just to play devil's advocate:

The hotel has a duty of care and a contract to provide accommodation and (legal term of art next) undisturbed enjoyment. Implicit in the contract is safety. They have not provided undisturbed enjoyment and arguably failed on the safety front. Why were the guests rousted from their beds? Why could it not wait until the morning? Why did the police feel a need to detain all guests and why did the hotel agree and enable the police behaviour?

Getting everyone out of bed and detaining them was purely a convenience for the police. The hotel acted on behalf of the police. The hotel is liable for that inconvenience, just as the hotel is liable for providing a safe environment for guests and is, by law and fact, responsible for the hotel itself and surrounding grounds. Asking for a discount on the bill at checkout is not completely unreasonable.

The alternative was not to evacuate the room and deal with the consequences, perhaps being shot.
Can you demonstrate any instances of that occurring in the US in the last decade?
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
Getting everyone out of bed and detaining them was purely a convenience for the police. The hotel acted on behalf of the police. The hotel is liable for that inconvenience, just as the hotel is liable for providing a safe environment for guests and is, by law and fact, responsible for the hotel itself and surrounding grounds.
Its pretty evident from the comment above that your not an American. I can just see the news now: "Hotel staff refused to comply with police. X number of people dead."
Old Mar 31, 2018, 7:30 pm

I'm surprised you weren't offered the United compensation package consisting of being dragged out of your room face first to the conference room.

Honestly it's complaints like these that make serious mess ups like the Dao incident look petty to the general public. Here the police and hotel are trying to keep guests safe and all they care about are bonus points.

Safe travels,

James
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:10 pm

What a strange thread

Of course you should be compensated.

What is the difference between a guest waking me at 4:00 AM by blasting music in the hallways vs waking me by shooting someone and causing a lockdown?

Hotel should compensate the guests that were inconvenienced, file a civil suit against the guests that did the inconveniencing to cover it.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:07 pm

Airlines/Hotels aren't Babysitters

Originally Posted by farting_fart_farts
Of course you should be compensated.
What is the difference between a guest waking me at 4:00 AM by blasting music in the hallways vs waking me by shooting someone and causing a lockdown?
Agree with you fully that there is no difference. In both cases it is an external factor (i.e. guest, gunman) causing the interruption. Most sensible people would blame an airline/hotel/vendor when they mess up on something they can control (i.e. overbooking, mechanical and weather). In a civilized society airlines/hotels/vendors aren't expected to babysit their guests and take full responsibility for their actions (even though many kettles act like children). These people are professionals not babysitters and should be held to that standard.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:42 pm

Should guests be compensated? I think that would be smart of the hotel. This sort of thing certainly leaves a very bad impression on guests, even if there was little the hotel could have done.

Should guests ask for compensation? I side with the general consensus of no.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed at this Fairfield Inn once. The power went out because of bad thunderstorms in the area and it was the power company's problem.

I was not at the hotel most of the day and only had to suffer maybe 2 hours without electricity in the late afternoon/early evening. Without asking, they gave me a bunch of points.

I have also stayed there a lot and know the management. I even told the GM that it is not their fault so no need to give me the points. Still, it makes you feel the hotel went above and beyond.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by seat38a
Its pretty evident from the comment above that your not an American. I can just see the news now: "Hotel staff refused to comply with police. X number of people dead."
Well, true, I guess: if you don't comply with police demands in the US then you *are* more likely to die as a result, but that's not really relevant ot the thread now, is it? I hardly think it likely the police are going to go room to room shooting people, even in the US, but if you think so then I believe that says more about you than about me. Remember, already over 300 dead in the US at police hands so far in 2018.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Reality check for those morally outraged. This is Flyertalk, where a subculture has been built up of maximising the travel experience without undue attention to ethical positions. Obvious mistake fares taken up, opportunistic use of promotional codes, compensation for this and that etc etc

Seems to me the OP's expectation, although inelegantly put, goes with that general flow. And an on-the-ball hotel might well offer a discounted rate or a pocketful of points for a seriously disturbed night in return for tons of goodwill for a (possibly) grateful IHG...

So possibly a good time to dismount from those toweringly high horses

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.