Wiki Posts
Search

IHG Award Night Changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K Marriott Gold IHG Ambassador SPG Gold
IHG Award Night Changes

I have a question for the more seasoned IHG travelers. Several months ago I booked three award nights at the Crowne Plaza Auckland. At the time, it was 30000 points per night for a total of 90000 points. Since then, the minimum number of points for this property was raised to 40000 points per night. In reviewing my reservations, I noticed the pre-paid rate for the first night dropped dramatically. Since the rate had come down so much, I thought it would be better for me to pay the cash rate than waste my points. When the IHG phone agent updated my reservation I was refunded 90000 points and then charged 80000 points. Does this seem right to you? I assumed they would refund me 30000 points for the first night and leave the rest of the reservation alone. Has this happened to any of you? At no point during our conversation did she say that the points would change. Any advice? Does anyone have a good email address to use to write to them at? And yes, I hate their new website.
Brendan likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 2:24 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
If you booked the 3 nights as a single reservation, then it has to be refunded in full and rebooked at the current rate. The way to achieve what you wanted would have been to book the 3 nights separately.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Yes as @: D ! said, if you intend to change plans when utilising award stays, it is better to book one night by one night so that you can be flexible.

So there is nothing you really can do at this moment. But let us not deny that if you find the right people and sometimes you may get lucky.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Yes, this is how it works, certainly for IHG and Hilton, and I would expect for all major hotel chains. Chongcao and : D! are correct. Unless there is some incentive to book multiple nights in one reservation (like 5th night free) and you are booking a cancellable rate, it is better to book one night at a time.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:20 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Accor Gold
While I agree with the above comments and always look night-by-night I have found on multiple occasions rates will not show for a single night, but will for 2+ nights. Have experienced this with both cash rates and point rates.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:52 am

I've successfully dropped a night on a mutli-night award stay (one reservation) without the agent touching the other nights. Called the Amb line in Philippines.
Brendan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.