Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New resort fees added to Kimpton Monaco Portland due to merger

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by herokitty
Just checked out of Portland Vintage today and was charged $25 per day even after booking directly through Kimpton. Tried to argue because I was just told by the Portland Monaco in April that fees are waived if booking directly through Kimpton. The Vintage says that the policy changed as of May 1st and now all members will be charged regardless of booking and status. This was a huge surprise since the quote looks the same as before, there was no announcement, and they seemed to have wavered back and forth between charging this fee for a few vs for all. Back in April, they were all "just book through Kimpton and you'll never have to worry about the fee".
I inquired about the fee to Portland Monaco also. They informed me that Northwest Kimptons have been instructed to charge this fee regardless of guest's status.

Stayed at Kimpton Shorebreak (Huntington Beach, CA) last week, they told me they were not charging fee to IHG elites. Strange they don't have a standard policy.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Hotel Monaco in DC waived fees for me as ans IC.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by craigthemif
"Due to merger" is just an excuse to divert blame elsewhere. IHG is not imposing them.

More and more hotels are adding these junk fees to appear more competitive on the OTAs. Until people stop staying at hotels charging them... we're going to be stuck with them...
Or until they are eventually outlawed.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: Elite: Delta, IHG
Originally Posted by BarryL
I inquired about the fee to Portland Monaco also. They informed me that Northwest Kimptons have been instructed to charge this fee regardless of guest's status.

Stayed at Kimpton Shorebreak (Huntington Beach, CA) last week, they told me they were not charging fee to IHG elites. Strange they don't have a standard policy.
Similar story for me. I was charged $25 at Kimpton Vintage (PDX), but no fee at Kimpton Buchanan (SFO) last week. I have platinum ambassador status.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:59 pm

It looks like more and more Kimpton properties are charging these "Guest Amenity Fee". No language saying that IHG Rewards Club members exempt. Out of principle, I always try to avoid properties with these hidden fees. Guess I won't be staying as often at Kimptons...
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
It looks like more and more Kimpton properties are charging these "Guest Amenity Fee". No language saying that IHG Rewards Club members exempt. Out of principle, I always try to avoid properties with these hidden fees. Guess I won't be staying as often at Kimptons...
Not only that but Kimpton also doesn't qualify for points on incidental spending.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I can confirm that the Seattle hotel Monaco charged me this fee two weeks back on a points stay. I am Spire Ambassador.

it's not just chancy and dilutive of the iHG brand. It's also a nuisance at times. For instance, we're hosting nine guests next week on points, and want to completely cover their rooms, but not their incidentals. Now we'll have to have them ill out these "fees" separately.

I had no idea they didn't award points on incidentals. Again, chinzy, confusing, and dilutive of the IHG brand.

Am not impressed with the Kimpton value proposition so far relative to similar priced alternatives.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 2:46 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by DaveH
I can confirm that the Seattle hotel Monaco charged me this fee two weeks back on a points stay. I am Spire Ambassador.

it's not just chancy and dilutive of the iHG brand. It's also a nuisance at times. For instance, we're hosting nine guests next week on points, and want to completely cover their rooms, but not their incidentals. Now we'll have to have them ill out these "fees" separately.

I had no idea they didn't award points on incidentals. Again, chinzy, confusing, and dilutive of the IHG brand.

Am not impressed with the Kimpton value proposition so far relative to similar priced alternatives.
1. Actually it is worse specific to Kimpton's, ref IHG T+C'S, no f+b points earned at Kimpton brand, even if on Paid qual rate nights
(yes on award nights at all IHG bands f+b points ae not earned, the hotels loss, i simply eat out , no incentive to eat at hotel, so both more choice and cheaper to eat outside)
IC brand used to similarly not give points on f+b, but that changed only a few years ago, before which i ate out side of IC's, hope so maybe Kimpton's will change soon too as now opening in Europe too?

2. Award nights at IHG hotels are not to be charged any daily hotel facility fees or the std ++national taxes(vat)/hotel-service-percentage
o Charging other fee, like fixed 3euro per night (per room or ppn) is allowed
o All Inclusive resorts can charge extra, used to be some text there when booking awards at HI Resorts, though not man such hotels exist
o Hotels in city centers calling facility fee a resort fee are on increase especially in USA. I'd tell such non-resort hotel (ask for duty mananager) on checkin that not due on award nights under ihg t+c's, whether IC/CP/Kimpton makes no odds
o Even if a 'propper resort fee' eg CP Z South Beach Miami, ... which fairly covers hotels cost of own area+loungers on beach, I expect not to be charged, and indeed was chaged just 2/4 paid nights and not 2/4 award nights there

Last edited by scubaccr; Sep 30, 2018 at 2:58 am
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium

I don't know where you got the idea that incidental spending doesn't earn points? That used to be true at InterContinental brand properties, but that changed a few years ago.

​​​​​​---------------------------------------

Reward Nights

Will I earn points or miles on Reward Nights?

Points will not be issued when you stay on Reward Nights but you will earn points or miles on all eligible charges billed to your room during your stay such as food and beverage, telephone, and in-room movies (only Qualifying Room Rates are eligible for points at Kimpton® Hotels). Charges at restaurants not operated by the hotel may not be eligible
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:41 pm

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
This was on twitter not terribly long ago.
I sent it to both The Monaco in Portland and The Vintage in Portland
I spent 2 cash nights at Vintage and 2 nights points at Monaco
I was charged the facility fee for each night by both hotels.
After seeing this tweet; I contacted both Hotels and was able to have the fees credited back to my IHG credit card.
I am Inner Circle/Spire Elite.

Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by DebitNM
This was on twitter not terribly long ago.
I sent it to both The Monaco in Portland and The Vintage in Portland
I spent 2 cash nights at Vintage and 2 nights points at Monaco
I was charged the facility fee for each night by both hotels.
After seeing this tweet; I contacted both Hotels and was able to have the fees credited back to my IHG credit card.
I am Inner Circle/Spire Elite.

Nice! That quote was to me Glad it helped you out.
DebitNM likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
Thank you so much! What was the date of that tweet?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: United 1K; HHonors Diamond; IHG Spire
I am reviewing my receipts for the month and not only discovered a $23 amenity fee at the Kimpton Topaz in DC -- but also a $27 minibar charge for just a beef jerky and a diet coke. As an Inner Circle member -- this is a joke.

The fine print on their website showcases that the amenity fee is used for services that literally no one uses.
  • Two (2) hours of complimentary car service in the morning (7-9am weekdays, 8-10am weekends) within 1 mile of the hotel, upon availability
  • Unlimited local and long distance phone calls
  • Upgraded WiFi speed throughout the hotel’s guest rooms and public spaces for up to 5 devices (Normally a $14.99 charge)

This is just dumb.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.