IC Moorea on strike.

Old Mar 9, 18, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UR, TYP, SPG, MR, AA, WN, BA, AS, Priceline, Club Carlson, Hyatt, IHG, Wyndham
IC Moorea on strike.

I have a reservation for the next week in this hotel and just received an email that the hotel is on strike. This was booked with points. They offer to relocate to IC Tahiti or book on my own expense everything else. They said they can pay one night at another property. Asked them about Bora Bora, they said no. They offer me to refund the points if I want to, which I don't want.
What should I do? Kinda desperate, as I need to fly tomorrow, and the tickets can't be refunded. There are total 4 people in the party, and one is flying from Canada as I write this.
Old Mar 9, 18, 1:37 pm

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG RA Spire
Wow how on earth has IC let a dispute go has far as strike action you would expect staff to be well looked after considering the prices charged in the hotels there. Unless the demands are extreme that is bad management on IHG part.
Old Mar 9, 18, 5:23 pm

Poor show from the property for letting it get to this, but IC Tahiti rates are broadly comparable to IC Moorea, whereas Bora Bora is significantly more expensive.

It seems like the hotel has offered you a reasonable option here, given the circumstances?
Old Mar 9, 18, 5:34 pm

Programs: NZ
This is a terrible situation, especially at such short notice.
Your first priority is to book something for your party. Your only choice if you want to stay with a points booking is the IC Tahiti. Perhaps you could negotiate a much better room type if you go there, even an OWB. This is probably what I would do - not the holiday I had envisioned, but at least I am not out of pocket. Otherwise you are going to have to pay for another hotel - less one night, which will be expensive. How many nights are you staying?

Last edited by minz56; Mar 9, 18 at 5:41 pm
Old Mar 9, 18, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UR, TYP, SPG, MR, AA, WN, BA, AS, Priceline, Club Carlson, Hyatt, IHG, Wyndham
There is not much availability at Hilton as well. And Sofitel is like $600-700 per night. I think that maybe I book on my own, and sue them in a court?
I'm staying 6 nights 03/11-17.
Old Mar 9, 18, 10:21 pm

Programs: A3*G, BA Bronze, EY Silver, LH, SQ, IC Spire AMB, HH Diam, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
Up to you on the legal proceedings, but seems a tad over the top for a reasonable alternative offered and will be a pain to pursue and cost $$$ and time. What do you dislike most about IC Tahiti?

I would agree with a previous poster's recommendation to request a better villa at IC Tahiti (minus first night) or ask if Bora Bora was possible if you pay a supplement fee per night. Can't hurt to ask. To go and book yourself for 6 nights in a place as expensive as French Polynesia is a heavy cash outlay (with questionable chances to recover all $$$ in the end) which I thought you wanted to avoid. YMMV.
Old Mar 9, 18, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by demue View Post
Up to you on the legal proceedings, but seems a tad over the top for a reasonable alternative offered and will be a pain to pursue and cost $$$ and time. What do you dislike most about IC Tahiti?

I would agree with a previous poster's recommendation to request a better villa at IC Tahiti (minus first night) or ask if Bora Bora was possible if you pay a supplement fee per night. Can't hurt to ask. To go and book yourself for 6 nights in a place as expensive as French Polynesia is a heavy cash outlay (with questionable chances to recover all $$$ in the end) which I thought you wanted to avoid. YMMV.
No OWB available in IC Tahiti right now. Just a lagoon view at best. Tried asking for Bora Bora, but so far was unsuccessful. Definitely gonna sue. This is a breach of contract. I have a beach bungalow at Moorea. They can't offer similar at Tahiti. I'm done with IHG and will not step on any french territory from now on.
Old Mar 9, 18, 11:57 pm

Programs: NZ
I just checked online and the IC Moorea are accepting bookings 12-17 March, but not on 11 March. So the strike may only be for 24 hours.

Obviously you have been in touch with the hotel so you will have more accurate information.

Good luck with whatever path you take.
Old Mar 10, 18, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by minz56 View Post
I just checked online and the IC Moorea are accepting bookings 12-17 March, but not on 11 March. So the strike may only be for 24 hours.

Obviously you have been in touch with the hotel so you will have more accurate information.

Good luck with whatever path you take.
Yes, the strike is over. Just received an email from the hotel. But it was very unpleasant experience anyway.