CP club lounge access for children

Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
CP club lounge access for children

Does anyone know in general terms what the policies are for allowing children into the club lounge for breakfast and evening snacks? Whilst I've stayed at CPs many, many times, I cannnot remember whether I noticed children in the club lounge before. On my next visit I'll be travelling with kids and plan to pay to use the club lounge of a CP.

I've read previously of one guest (Spire Elite) who was asked to leave with his family in the evening and the excuse given was that they were serving alcohol and that during that time children were not permitted in the club lounge. I'm hoping that the policy is a little more family-friendly.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: IHG Platinum / HHonors Diamond / Hyatt Globalist / AA EX Platinum
I've never seen children in the lounge, though I must admit, I'm also unsure of the rule.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I couldn't take my kids into the CP Heathrow lounge recently.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:32 am

I think there is no universal rule. UK seems to be strict about it. I took my children into the lounges at Bratislava and Hoofddorp w/o any issues.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
I've seen children having breakfast in London City CP, I have no idea what the rule is though
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
The only time I have seen children excluded is around the evening drinks time.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Okay so it looks like it may depend on the CP. Tyoical IHG consistency in action.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rumbataz
Okay so it looks like it may depend on the CP. Tyoical IHG consistency in action.
That's unfair. If IHG decided to be 'consistent' it would, due to laws in some countries which forbid children to be around self-pour alcohol, have to ban kids globally. That's not the sort of 'consistency' we want.
notquiteaff and markle like this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: FB Platinum PA; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Raffles
That's unfair. If IHG decided to be 'consistent' it would, due to laws in some countries which forbid children to be around self-pour alcohol, have to ban kids globally. That's not the sort of 'consistency' we want.
It's not the consistency you want.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Carel1
It's not the consistency you want.
its not the consistency I want either. My baby is a registered guest and entitled to the regular benefits. And I personally would not accept any discrimination based on age (unless relevant laws exist). This is my clear policy and I stand for this in every hotel I visit with the buying power I have at IHG.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Accor Gold
My experience from last year...

CP Newcastle - Stephenson Quarter (UK) : children allowed in to club lounge at all times of day

CP Birmingham (UK) : children not allowed in to club lounge at any time of the day - front desk said because there is alcohol in there - notice outside lounge said to "create a working and meetings environment"

Further discussion : www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1699783-lounge-access-breakfast-crowne-plaza-properties.html
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: IHG
Maybe the reasons that properties give as to why children are denied access, is just a nice way of saying "no-one wants to listen to your screaming kids or watch them running around the lounge".
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Yes, that's understandable. But the issue is that if you are travelling with kids and have paid for lounge access as a family, then you should be permitted to use the lounge as a family. What's wrong is that the hotel may 'evict' you from the lounge after you've paid for the use of it. Obviously if your kids are not well-behaved then the hotel reserves the right to 'evict' you and your kids, but if the family is well-behaved and courteous, unlike some of the drunk businessmen with their paid 'acquisitions' for the night accompanying them, then I don't see an issue.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: IHG
Originally Posted by rumbataz
Yes, that's understandable. But the issue is that if you are travelling with kids and have paid for lounge access as a family, then you should be permitted to use the lounge as a family. What's wrong is that the hotel may 'evict' you from the lounge after you've paid for the use of it. Obviously if your kids are not well-behaved then the hotel reserves the right to 'evict' you and your kids, but if the family is well-behaved and courteous, unlike some of the drunk businessmen with their paid 'acquisitions' for the night accompanying them, then I don't see an issue.
Unfortunately, I've never seen unruly kids being evicted from a lounge. These lounges are designed primarily for business people (these are largely business hotels, after all). I think it's good to have a "no kids policy", and indeed , several hotels, particularly IC's, now have a family area, should you happen to have kids with you. A good compromise that should be extended across all IC's at least.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Berlin Marriott, where I am typing this, has an odd rule - 'Kids under 14 must be accompanied by an adult".

Which implies that a lot of parents were just sending their kids off to the lounge on their own to get rid of them!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.