FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Chase IHG card earns 5x points at IHG hotels - except for Kimpton (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1897488-chase-ihg-card-earns-5x-points-ihg-hotels-except-kimpton.html)

Forever2P Mar 7, 2018 6:34 am

Chase IHG card earns 5x points at IHG hotels - except for Kimpton

Just had a stay post on my account from the Kimpton and it only earns 1 point per dollar on the card. A bit disappointing as that's my main reason for staying at IHG. Hopefully they will change this sometime soon.

Hawkeyefan Mar 7, 2018 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Forever2P (Post 29495438)
Just had a stay post on my account from the Kimpton and it only earns 1 point per dollar on the card. A bit disappointing as that's my main reason for staying at IHG. Hopefully they will change this sometime soon.

huh? Did you make a call to correct it?

dw Mar 7, 2018 6:59 am

Can you identify the property?

it looks like perhaps some Kimptons are coded properly, but not all. I had a stay at the Donovan a few weeks ago that did code properly, and there have been other reports here on FT of properties bring properly coded.

Also, did you reach out to Chase to see if they would manually credit the bonus points?

Forever2P Mar 7, 2018 10:26 am

Yeah, I did reach out to chase and they responded with the card agreement, which lists all the IHG properties except for Kimpton and stated that they could not credit the points. It was the Kimpton Onyx in Boston.

FlyinHawaiian Mar 7, 2018 10:45 am

I stayed at the Aertson in Nashville in January and got the 5X points, so this thread's title is not accurate.

dw Mar 7, 2018 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Forever2P (Post 29496333)
Yeah, I did reach out to chase and they responded with the card agreement, which lists all the IHG properties except for Kimpton and stated that they could not credit the points. It was the Kimpton Onyx in Boston.

Ahh, good point. It is true that in fact, the T&Cs of the Chase IHG card have not been updated to include Kimpton as one of the IHG brands which earns 5x points.

Hopefully this its something that IHG will work on with Chase. (Though as far as timing is concerned, who knows how long that will take... notice how, more than two months into the integration, IHG still doesn't list Kimpton on its earn rewards for hotel stays page?) Perhaps it would be helpful if, for the time, being, we created a Wiki so people can self-report where they have and have not had success with earning 5x points for Kimpton stays on their Chase cards. I'll see if I can start one...

Steph58 Mar 7, 2018 8:57 pm

Kimpton Dewitt, did not post 5X. I telephoned IHG and, a few days later, I received an email that the 5X points will show up on my next Chase statement.

jiaogulan Mar 8, 2018 2:18 am

IHG Holiday Inn Mumbai Airport - did not post 5x. I SM'd Chase, and emailed the hotel, but both queries were basically futile. They hotel was gracious, but there wasn't much they could do. It's how their credit card terminals are labeled category-wise assumably though, so I told them so they can be aware for the future... Just blew me away the main, normal brand at an airport hotel wasn't earning 5x properly, but maybe I'm naive. It wasn't like it was a Kimpton. IHG's systems not picking up activities properly, especially related to credit card's being used, has been absolutely amazing me on numerous occasions.

I gave up when I realized the continued time to earn the few hundred extra IHG points was not worth the amount of time it would take me, versus other things I can do with the same time.

EDIT -- I called back in this time (screw emailing) to follow up about the 5,000 points bonus from the January Priceless promotion, and while on the call I also explained that I never got my bonus points from the Mumbai stay for using my Chase IHG card to get the 5x points. The agent finally admitted this was an error after some back and forth, and said she'd have to follow-up with Chase. I said come on, can't you guys just give me the points, it's approximately ~500 points. She agreed then and gave me the points.

dw Mar 8, 2018 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Steph58 (Post 29498509)
Kimpton Dewitt, did not post 5X. I telephoned IHG and, a few days later, I received an email that the 5X points will show up on my next Chase statement.

Thanks for the data point. This one is particularly egregious in my mind, since (a) the property used to be a CP so it was presumably coded correctly before and (b) after the rebranding the property was never part of the Kimpton loyalty program and was part of IHG Rewards from day 1

brownoarsman Mar 8, 2018 10:34 am

I ate at the Surfcomber (Miami Beach, FL) and it credited 5x for IHG hotel and 2x for restaurant.

Points Scrounger Mar 8, 2018 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by brownoarsman (Post 29500632)
I ate at the Surfcomber (Miami Beach, FL) and it credited 5x for IHG hotel and 2x for restaurant.

I am a bit confused: you were not a guest at the time of the charge, but we're credited with both categories at the same time for the same transaction?

brownoarsman Mar 9, 2018 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger (Post 29501918)
I am a bit confused: you were not a guest at the time of the charge, but we're credited with both categories at the same time for the same transaction?

That's correct. I was pleasantly surprised. 7x per dollar (5x hotel, 2x restaurant)!

dw Mar 13, 2018 11:15 am

Confirming that a stay at the Everly last week did earn 5x points on the IHG Chase card.

dw Mar 14, 2018 8:54 pm

Also confirming the 5x points for the Rowan in Palm Springs

Governator Mar 14, 2018 9:18 pm

My recent results for IHG card points
January
LA Wilshire - 5x
Huntington Beach Shorebreak - 5x
February
Philly Monaco - 1x
March
Denver Born - 5x