Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RatherBeOnATrain
Here is how you find the points only option on the website:

1. When you are looking at the page where it list all the hotels and only gives you points + cash, click the "Select Hotel".
2. On the next page, it ask you to select the type of room but conveniently leaves out the points only option. Just select the points + cash again.
3. On the next page, it shows you the different types of rooms AGAIN. And AGAIN it leaves out the points only option. Just select the points + cash again.
4. Finally, on the next page it gives you an option to select points only.

Credit: Solerno in post #19
Print Wikipost

Major devaluation: IHG redemption now requires cash copay?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Major devaluation: IHG redemption now requires cash copay?

I'm shocked to see all the IHG properties I looked at now require cash copay with point redemption. Did I miss some major announcement from IHG?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
It’s just showing the Cash+Points by default.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by tth6133
I'm shocked to see all the IHG properties I looked at now require cash copay with point redemption. Did I miss some major announcement from IHG?
it always makes more sense to start a new thread on FT than to click one more time on the website.
dw, FFlash, craigthemif and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
We can probably blame something here on the new web site because it makes it so hard to get both cash and points (and cash and points) pricing properly displayed.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The new website is awful, but kind of clever in a way. Instead of spending points many people don't quite understand, they see "save all this $$$ by spending some points". Wouldn't that send you rushing to buy points if you didn't have any?

Click through a couple of times and you end up back to the old website layout (which was already pretty poor) and can book with all points.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by tth6133
This was a surprise to me too. They've deliberately made it difficult to tell the actual point cost cost on their website, and are making it as difficult as possible to choose points only options. Also, point costs have increased 5-15k for my area hotels.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:18 pm

Website Having Problems

So I called IHG and the customer service rep said there is a problem with the website and it is not showing points only options correctly. I asked and they did not have an ETA when it would fixed. I do know it has been going on for at least 18 hours.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 10:31 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by solero10
So I called IHG and the customer service rep said there is a problem with the website and it is not showing points only options correctly. I asked and they did not have an ETA when it would fixed. I do know it has been going on for at least 18 hours.
it’s definitely working if you use the app so if anyone wants to make a booking right now, that would be the way to go
Old Mar 4, 2018, 2:18 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
I use the app and it defaults to cash and points, but a quick flick of the top switch and it displays the point cost.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
I use the app and it defaults to cash and points, but a quick flick of the top switch and it displays the point cost.
im sorry where can you change this i have had the same issue on my computer and smartphone and its very annoying!
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
I can see it on app but can't find it in the website, please don't tell me they're taking all-points booking away. I wonder if points + cash will be the only way to redeem in the not-so-distant future?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:51 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
im sorry where can you change this i have had the same issue on my computer and smartphone and its very annoying!
App - Top right corner above the First hotel in the list highlights cash and points or points. It defaults to c&p so tap points and up they come!
Web - it shows “from” quoting the lowest points on c&p but once you click you are given the opportunity to use all the different C&p combos and all points too. No, I digg like it either, which is why I book all my stays via the iPad app
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Eltham

it always makes more sense to start a new thread on FT than to click one more time on the website.
Absolutely no need for such snarky response. Just look at the subsequent posts. OP's post was not unreasonable.
May be FT community as a whole would be better served if urge to post this type of posts can be controlled a bit.
muji likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:59 am

Programs: SQ S, IHG Diamond/Amb, Accor S
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob

Web - it shows “from” quoting the lowest points on c&p but once you click you are given the opportunity to use all the different C&p combos and all points too.
Actually it requires three additional clicks to see the various points and points/cash combinations. Very annoying. If you have selected a town with let's say 10 properties you have to click 3 times for each hotel and 2 times to get back to the list, which makes it 48 additional clicks to check all the points only rates. Great web design!
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:23 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by DuMaInSin
Actually it requires three additional clicks to see the various points and points/cash combinations. Very annoying. If you have selected a town with let's say 10 properties you have to click 3 times for each hotel and 2 times to get back to the list, which makes it 48 additional clicks to check all the points only rates. Great web design!
I agree, I don’t like the website and stick to the iPad app now which is much easier. But my reply was that you can see point only redemptions and that IHG hasn’t moved over to a points and cash only methodology as this thread, incorrectly, asserts.
DuMaInSin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.