FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   500 points for not having your room cleaned? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1893148-500-points-not-having-your-room-cleaned.html)

NetNathan Feb 9, 2018 5:45 pm

500 points for not having your room cleaned?

I am staying at an HI Express in Houston.
There was a "save the environment" flyer hanging on the door that stated that I would get 500 points for not having my room cleaned.
Has anyone ran into this deal?
That could be a real deal on a long stay. I did not see any "fine print" on the flyer about limits.

NetNathan Feb 9, 2018 6:27 pm

Here is a pic of the flyer...Looks like it is for all IHG hotels
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...63038b0b2.jpeg

Rack up the points!

BarneyMcGrew Feb 9, 2018 11:02 pm

On a couple of my forthcoming 2/3 night stays at Crowne Plaza's in the UK, in the 'Personalise your Stay' section of the online reservation there is a ticky box entitled 'A Greener Stay Opt in' with the following text:

''When staying at least two nights at participating hotels, you can forego full housekeeping for your stay, help reduce IHG’s environmental footprint, and receive 500 IHG Rewards Club points''.
The ticky box doesn't appear to show on any of my forthcoming one night stays, nor all of my 2/3 night stays, suggesting that currently it is, as said above, at 'participating hotels' only.

BM

FFlash Feb 10, 2018 12:35 am

Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew (Post 29400529)
On a couple of my forthcoming 2/3 night stays at Crowne Plaza's in the UK, in the 'Personalise your Stay' section of the online reservation there is a ticky box entitled 'A Greener Stay Opt in' with the following text:

The ticky box doesn't appear to show on any of my forthcoming one night stays, nor all of my 2/3 night stays, suggesting that currently it is, as said above, at 'participating hotels' only.

BM

I got the 500 offer for a one-night stay last time so it was obviously useless :)

DrTom Feb 10, 2018 10:16 am

Just be careful if it's 500 points per stay, or 500 nights per points for each time you decline cleaning.
That's obviously a big difference in value if the stay is more than two nights long.
For a two night stay in an HIX, I would certainly take the points. There's not much to change in the room and you can pick up tea and coffee from reception anyway.

dw Feb 10, 2018 10:23 am

I’m certainly all for giving customers this choice, but have always found it a bit disingenuous for the hotel chains to market this as an environmentally friendly move... not doubting that there is a benefit to reusing towels and sheets... but it’s clearly primarily a way for the properties to reduce housekeeping costs.

NetNathan Feb 10, 2018 10:27 am

Originally Posted by DrTom (Post 29401782)
Just be careful if it's 500 points per stay, or 500 nights per points for each time you decline cleaning.
That's obviously a big difference in value if the stay is more than two nights long.
For a two night stay in an HIX, I would certainly take the points. There's not much to change in the room and you can pick up tea and coffee from reception anyway.

I read the flyer front and back and there is not any "fine print" saying it is based on "stays". so it should be every time you decline room cleaning... Or they need to hustle and add "fine print" to the flyer
I stay for 2-3 weeks at a time....so I should be able to rack up points, by only getting room cleaned....say maybe every 3 days. I might even push Saturday cleaning only....lol.
They will still bring you towels and amenities if needed.

hclee01 Feb 10, 2018 10:58 am

This points scheme was already offered in HI Orchard Hotel in Singapore about 2 years back. I did request for the room not to be cleaned but the 500 points never show up in the account and I did not really bother to dispute.

GeezerCouple Feb 10, 2018 11:57 am

I can't remember where it was, and this was perhaps 5 (very approximate) years ago, in a mid-range hotel/motel like Garden Inn or such... but there was a note that $5 would be deducted each day we declined housekeeping.

This was separate from the now common notice about how they'll only replace towels on the floor, and won't change the bed linens unless the little card IS/IS NOT (? tricky, as it can vary) is placed on the bed. But in those cases, they still do the regular cleaning, and make up the bed, etc.

There are times, especially with extended stays, that we just ask that housecleaning only show up when we call, so we aren't disturbed sleeping in, or, differently, aren't disturbed when preparing presentations. We'd typically call each day with a reminder, or we'd risk being awoken by a "We noticed your Do Not Disturb sign, so we decided to disturb you..." ;)

We've never asked for compensation, however.

After the Las Vegas "situation", hotels are now announcing that they won't necessarily honor extended "total" do not disturb signs/notices. I think there are also signs with new wording, something other than a flat "do not disturb". I suspect a simple phone call from the room won't be sufficient in the future, as it isn't just the welfare of the room occupant that will be of concern.

So I think there will soon be a trade-off about totally ignoring a room vs. some sort of "minimal cleaning" (aka superficial check-up).

GC

Canarsie Feb 11, 2018 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by DrTom (Post 29401782)

The offer is 500 points per stay:

As an IHG® Rewards Club member, you can earn 500 points simply by declining housekeeping services at participating hotels. This allows you to protect natural resources, conserve water and energy, and reduce waste. With A Greener Stay, our surroundings are preserved for everyone to enjoy. Ask for more information during your next check-in.

*Requires a minimum of 2 consecutive nights; maximum award of 500 points for total stay
https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers

NetNathan Feb 12, 2018 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Canarsie (Post 29406055)

It appears IHG should have shown "per stay" on the flyer at the hotel... not just the web site.

I worked out a deal with the hotel manager to keep me from from moving between hotels...
I get 500 points for each time I decline room cleaning, no more than twice a week (he actually said every 3 days)....so 1000 points per week..

Now to wait and see if it happens..

BarneyMcGrew Feb 18, 2018 11:17 pm

I have just spent the weekend at my usual Crowne Plaza in London. On the reservation I had ticked the box for the 500 ihg points for not having my room serviced.

However, when checking in, I asked the lady on the desk to ensure I was awarded my 500 points for not having my room serviced, only to be told 'Oh, we don't operate that here'.

So, even if you tick the box on the ihg website, it is no guarantee that the hotel actually offers the 500 points for not having the room serviced.

Pretty shambolic really.

FlyerTalker688786 Feb 19, 2018 7:18 am

I have no idea it is a maximum of 500 per stay. Back in January when I stayed in one HIX in Southampton, the offer is 500 points per night, and the housekeeping has to service the room on the 4th day. So I end up with 1,500 for that 6 nights stay. (forgot to put the sign up after housekeeping service)

Tony300S Feb 25, 2018 11:44 am

I've tried it before and received the 500 points PER STAY. I usually only stay 2-nights in each hotel, so it's no loss to skip on the housekeeping as long as there are enough towels for two showers.

You should def try to mention it to the front desk rather than relying on the door hanger because housekeeping are not the most reliable with tracking these type of offers.

olympian Feb 25, 2018 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by chongcao (Post 29433574)
I have no idea it is a maximum of 500 per stay. Back in January when I stayed in one HIX in Southampton, the offer is 500 points per night, and the housekeeping has to service the room on the 4th day. So I end up with 1,500 for that 6 nights stay. (forgot to put the sign up after housekeeping service)

Similar at a HI in the UK that I stay at regularly - 500 points per night but maximum of 3 nights at a time. I'm staying there again tomorrow night so will try to get a decent picture of the door hanger with the offer details on it.