Community
Wiki Posts
Search

500 points for not having your room cleaned?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
I was just at the Indigo in Antwerp ,they offer a €5 restaurant voucher every day that you don't have your room serviced. There is a sign to hang on door the night before. I wish I had paid more attention as I could of used it and not had housekeepers knocking on door despite do not disturb sign
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Club Spire Elite, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by olympian
Similar at a HI in the UK that I stay at regularly - 500 points per night but maximum of 3 nights at a time. I'm staying there again tomorrow night so will try to get a decent picture of the door hanger with the offer details on it.

FlyerTalker688786 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by olympian
Thank you! That is what I had as well.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 2:40 pm

This move is clearly intended solely to save money on housekeeping labor. If it were only about the environment, they would simply reward us for not having the towels and sheets changed. Personally, I am more concerned about keeping people working, because fewer jobs = more poverty/homelessness/crime/etc. More jobs = more money flowing back into local, regional, and world economy (which indirectly benefits all of us not on a trust fund). This is pure greed, plain and simple. They keep devaluing the points as they cut wages and staff. The really sad thing is that in the USA, most housekeeping staff is already making slave wages and depending on tips to eek out a living. So the cost savings are minimal.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 4:23 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I thought this kind of program ended with the covid ‘and post- covid we just won’t provide housekeeping at all ‘ movement in the USA but to my surprise, I was given 500 points per night last week at the Holiday Inn Express-Flagstaff ,Arizona for keeping the ‘skip housekeeping’ card on our door during the stay.
zdcatc12 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been having consistent success getting points with this in the UK. I am pretty sure it's 100% on offer and 100% credited at CP / HI / HIX in the UK, from my experience.

In the US, it seems that half the time they have a tag to use, they don't actually credit points, and sometimes they also don't actually skip the housekeeping. Never bothered arguing.

Elsewhere I rarely see it as an option.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 8:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I always use it if I'm staying 2 nights or more in the UK.
I don't need a change of bedding, or a clean towel after 1 night, and 500 points is 500 points. Wouldn't change my bedding at home every day or two, and there are always spare towels should one get wet.

Most hotels I frequent have a lot of one night travellers anyway, so it's not as if housekeeping are losing out on a handful of rooms not needed cleaned.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:10 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by xenole
I don't need a change of bedding, or a clean towel after 1 night, and 500 points is 500 points. Wouldn't change my bedding at home every day or two, and there are always spare towels should one get wet.
I don't understand where does this idea that hotels change bedding every day keep coming from. Most hotels I stayed at had a policy of replacing bedding every 3 or 4 nights.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by the810
I don't understand where does this idea that hotels change bedding every day keep coming from. Most hotels I stayed at had a policy of replacing bedding every 3 or 4 nights.
Yeah. Some hotels (including many from IHG) have a card that you can put on your beed if you want the sheets changed.

----

As for the 500 bonus points thing. Still seeing this in the UK and in Germany. You gotta stay at least two nights for the offer to apply (obviously). I've seen some hotels stop offering it entirely. Others don't credit the 500 points more than once per stay despite the card saying it's 500 points per day you pass over the housekeeping. Yet others still apply the rule properly (e.g., on a recent 4-night stay at Indigo Dusseldorf, I received 1000 points as I declined housekeeping twice).
Old Mar 29, 2024, 9:12 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
This has to do paying cleaning staff. I had several long stays in China where I befriended the housekeeping staff. Many of them work on contracts and get paid per room cleaned and the type of cleaning. Changing bedding or what amounts to a fuller clean up gets them more money. Restock towels, coffee/tea, water and such net them a smaller amount. Cleaning on certain holidays earn them higher amount. With all these said, the hoteliers can save a lot of money by having us avoiding cleaning. The 500 points is a drop in a bucket compare to what they pay to the housekeeping staff.

I generally only want coffee/tea and water replenished, or other disposable amenities. In the US, it's standard to do military-style of bed making with the bedding fully tucked at the corners.. This takes a lot of efforts for me to yank the bedding free every night especially when you are laying in the bed and try to free the sheeting/bedding, so I rather they don't change sheets and remake the bed every night.

The issue with these Go Green 500 points is that most hotel won't voluntarily post them. You have to repeatedly remind the hotel during your stay or at check out.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 9:41 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
This offer (500 points) was also available at the Hotel Indigo in Hakone, Japan. We stayed two nights and skipped house keeping for the stay and got 500 points even on a points booking. Not bad as cleaning or even only restocking / refreshing the room would have been quite unnecessary in our case.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 2:13 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Can confirm that it was on offer in Germany in February 2024.
Not a bad deal, and I much prefer "if you don't need your room cleaned / new towels / new bedding, here's 500 points, oh and it's also good for the environment" to "we're not going to clean your room because green, so there".

Last edited by tom tulpe; Mar 30, 2024 at 4:09 am
Old Mar 30, 2024, 9:02 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by wlau
[...] I rather they don't change sheets and remake the bed every night.
[...]
My solution is to leave a note on the bed with the message: "There is no need to make the bed."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.