Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: scubaccr

Special preview: All new IHG® Rewards Club PointBreaks: January 29, 2018 – April 30, 2018

You asked for more, and we heard you. For the first time, IHG® Rewards Club is changing the popular PointBreaks promotion to offer more variety and more locations.

The PointBreaks promotion will now offer Reward Nights at three different point values: 5,000; 10,000 and 15,000 points. And, for the first time, members can book participating PointBreaks hotels using a combination of points and cash. The new PointBreaks will include some of the best IHG hotels around the world, including upscale brands InterContinental®, Hotel Indigo® and Crowne Plaza®.

Here’s a special preview at the next IHG® Rewards Club PointBreaks®, one of the many advantages of being an IHG Rewards Club member. This is a partial preview of the properties that will be available for bookings and stays from January 29, 2018 through April 30, 2018. Bookmark this page so you can return at noon on January 29, 2018 to book the discounted rate and see the full list of more than 200 participating hotels around the world.

Offers and participating hotels are subject to change at any time. As PointBreaks sell out at participating hotels, they will be removed from the final list on ihg.com.
Print Wikipost

Point breaks now 5k and 10 or 15k

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG spire ambassador, SPG/Marriott Gold(new plat), Virgin Atlantic
Point breaks now 5k and 10 or 15k

I just read an article on loyaltylobby explaining this, along with a short sneak peak list which including a few ICs.

I think this is good news - sure I would love IC park lane at 5k then the Barclay. But, in the real world I geuss the good news is that eventhough may cost 10 or 15k instead of old 5,000 at least will expect to see better list of properties! Will be interesting to see what full preview list looks like when IHG posts tommorow...
Brendan likes this.

Last edited by somedudefromFLa; Jan 25, 2018 at 5:23 pm
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

BTW sorry forgot link

https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/01/25/sneak-peek-ihg-rewards-club-pointbreaks-january-29-april-30-2018/

https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/01/25/...april-30-2018/
Brendan likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:31 pm

I will be watching this closely. Hopefully there are some good properties in there at all 3 levels. The recent lists have been pretty underwhelming.
Brendan likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Don't think we will see the major city 50/60/70k IC's on PBs even at 15k such as London, Paris, Amsterdam, HK, NYC

It may however mean that like in say 2012 the odd 25k-40k IC appears again, rather than a new low on points IC that is just opening in shoulder season (eg Dom Rep, Da Nang when new and 25k!). Even the cheapest ICs only appeared if in shoulder season like Pnom Penh or in 2012 (i think) IC Citystars Cairo

Remember 15k value is circa is usd105, and the cheap(est) IC's can already be booked for near this nightly rate , even IC Berlin can be had for about us$130(100euro)/night as can some Asian, China IC, Eastern Europe IC hotels, when 15k is not a great deal v cash , especially as Amb/RA benefits only on paid nights.
Brendan likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I think they should have gone with 5000 and 10,000 points redemptions. As Loyalty Lobby points out, 15,000 points is valued at over $100, and I'm sure some people will be bamboozled redeeming for this level thinking they're getting a deal when cash equivalent rates at some of the properties are about the same or even lower.
peripateticlife likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by mastermc54
I think they should have gone with 5000 and 10,000 points redemptions. As Loyalty Lobby points out, 15,000 points is valued at over $100, and I'm sure some people will be bamboozled redeeming for this level thinking they're getting a deal when cash equivalent rates at some of the properties are about the same or even lower.
THIS.

I see in the sneak preview that for example Helsinki city centre HI is now 15k. Seriously? This is so dull place to stay that for 100$ you most often get so much better properties by cash in Helsinki. I would book 5k for this just as backup, but never 15k, ever unless there is a mass-event in Helsinki and all hotels sold out!
Another on peek list is CP Berlin Potsdamer, all hotels in Berlin are so cheap that there is nothing specific at this CP which would make me book this for 15k, never!

Even if the old 5k model was getting lousier every time, I liked it anyhow for booking just cheap "overnights" just to get a bed, but I am not that convinced about this 5-10-15 model before I see which properties they pull up. Live and let's see.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Yes, I think there should have been two levels only, 5,000 and 10,000 points. But my big hope is that these reservations remain flexible and refundable. If they can't be cancelled, that would really be the ultimate kick in the groin with this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:09 am

I’m keeping an open mind until I see what the list has on it.

For at least the last three years I’ve found something on it that I have been able to make work so I have very few complaints about PBs in general. I never expected great luxuries on it so I was never disappointed in that respect.

The proof will be in the pudding though. I’m used to picking up 20k-25k nights for 5k so if I can get something that works for me and is normally 35k-40k for 10k I don’t think I’ll consider that to be a disaster.

By making these changes though IHG resets the expectations of everyone. If the first list is decent they really need to make sure the following ones are as well.

It could be worse - they could have stopped them completely.
fti, FFlash and Brendan like this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Personally, I'd have no issues with 15K if there were enough decent ICs added to the list.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Surprising amount of wishful thinking going on.

The franchised hotels receive a relatively small reimbursement for award nights, and this won't vary much, if at all, whether PB is 5K per night or 15K per night. (IHG pays for award nights based on annual average daily room rate) The major difference will be IHG corporate getting more points = reduction in their points liability in exchange for the marketing / loyalty generating benefit of PB.

Maybe, just maybe, this will tempt IHG corporate into allowing a few more hotels onto PB than before. But you can be quite sure that any IC, CP, Indigos, etc. will actually be hotels with relatively low room rates.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:53 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by craigthemif

Maybe, just maybe, this will tempt IHG corporate into allowing a few more hotels onto PB than before. But you can be quite sure that any IC, CP, Indigos, etc. will actually be hotels with relatively low room rates.
Hardly maybe, as evidenced by posts in the pointsbreaks thread (where this should be) indicating 200+ properties on Monday.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Death of Pointsbreaks, very sad. The one exciting feature in an otherwise weak loyalty program.

Perhaps caused by
a) A whole industry of loyalty-watchers and resellers grabbing the rooms ahead of IHG's loyal members who are supposed to be being rewrded
b) Booming economy and high occupancy-rates allowing hotels to ignore and lose their loyal members without penalty

Let's hope there are some genuine bargains come Monday and that availability isn't blacked out for them
The_Bouncer and torontotravel like this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I don’t think it’s the death of Pointbreaks, it’s just taken a new turn. Let’s see how it plays out this time.
chrism20 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: PC Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive, AAdvantage Gold, Midwest Miles
Call me cynical, but I also read it as the death of PointBreaks.

Meh, there hadn't been anything usable for me in a few years anyway.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yurtripper
Personally, I'd have no issues with 15K if there were enough decent ICs added to the list.
yeah second that and throw in a few kimptons while we're at it for nice vacation. My wife likes to travel with her poodle and I've discovered all of the kimptons are not only pet friendly but also don't have any pet fees like many hotels do so that's a nice option.

Personally, I've come to believe this whole situation is good... sure in past it was really nice to catch a 5k pb and maybe even somehow string together a road trip vacation with those. But, those were always some hix or whatnot on side freeway with usual room rates of $80-90ish. Hopefully now will be able to get some decent hotels for 10 or 15k.
Monday will tell...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.